Laptop powers on but the screen doesn't

Found 19th Apr
Turned my Vaio E Series laptop on today, it powers up and the screen just stays black, does not even light up.
I've cleaned out the fan.
Booted without the battery.
Held the power button for 60 seconds then inserted the battery.
Tried to power on with Power, Shift and F8.
Unfortunately none of this has worked.
Sounds like it is running fine but the screen is just not turning itself on.
Community Updates
AskLaptop
10 Comments
Could be the cable connecting your screen to the main board perhaps? If you’ve got th confidence you may need take it apart.
M0nk3h11 m ago

Could be the cable connecting your screen to the main board perhaps? If …Could be the cable connecting your screen to the main board perhaps? If you’ve got th confidence you may need take it apart.

I currently looking at its guts. Well, unscrewed the casing and have the insides exposed.
One way to check if its definitely the laptop screen is to plug in an external monitor if you have one available.

Usually the screen connector is accessed by taking the keyboard out. Should be a thin tape style cable.
Try taking the RAM out and reseat them in different slots.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th Apr
RiverDragon86 h, 4 m ago

This might work as it also causes the bios settings to reset. Corrupt cmos settings can stop pc from booting due to incorrect cpu/memory settings.
RiverDragon89 h, 5 m ago

Nothing has worked so far. I've given in, about to take it to the repair shop. Hopefully he can fix it as I cannot find a decent replacement.
I would hazard a guess it is your LCD inverter that has blown. Fiddly to repair but not expensive. Did my own a few years ago for approx £16 off ebay. If you are a bit 'techy' then have a look on there. Search your model of laptop and add "Inverter" (or try "Invertor" too) and see what's available. Some good vids on Youtube about replacing them too.

Definitely worth plugging laptop into another screen to make sure it's a display issue with the laptop's screen and not just the on-board graphics chip - as others have suggested.

All the best, Phsy.
Graphic card could of gone or system corrupted
It's probably loose cable if your confident open it up check all are secure if not I would guess the inverter board faulty
mine did that once, external screen not working either; but i did spill milk on it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants