Groups

Laptop problem - 'No audio device output'

I have just updated my laptop (Windows Vista updates) and when it finished installing the sound had broken - sound icon in bottom right of the screen has a red cross through it and says 'No audio output device'.
    I searched online and found a lot of people have had this problem - i tried everything they suggested (disable / enable sound... uninstall / install realtek) and nothing will work. I have had other problems with it like the disk drive opening at random times and popping open a few seconds after closing it! I tried looking on the techguys site but nothing would work.

The laptop is still within its 12 month guarantee from Currys. If i take it back to the store what are they likely to do? Send it to be fixed? Replace it?
    I have only ever had to take my iPod back to Currys as it kept jamming and they always just replaced it straight away but i have a feeling they won't do the same for the laptop.

All advice welcome

Thanks
    xx

--- Laptop is a Toshiba Equium L350D

32 Comments

I'm getting exactly the same problem, update happened then no sound output. I thought I was alone.

Have you tried rolling back the driver? If not do a system restore to before the windows update took place. It has happened to me before and did system update then did a custom install of the windows update the next time it tried to update. In my case I just unticked the one I did not want to update.

Hope that helps.

I think its jus a matter of driver problem curys would be able to fix it easily

anyway, if you still want to try
    go to device manager, click View - Show hidden device and post the print screen here

Banned

waj1234;5481341

Have you tried rolling back the driver? If not do a system restore to … Have you tried rolling back the driver? If not do a system restore to before the windows update took place. It has happened to me before and did system update then did a custom install of the windows update the next time it tried to update. In my case I just unticked the one I did not want to update.Hope that helps.

Good advice.

might help if you posted audio device details and make / model of laptop and version of windows.

Mine is a vista.

A100 - 598.

Model Number - PSAANE - 03U02GEN

One of my customers had that problem the other day, after applying SP2 to his Vista installation.

His computer has on-board Realtek HD Audio.

Cause of the problem was that the card stopped sensing what type of speakers were connected and switched to digital out only.

All I had to do to make it work again was bring up the Realtek Audio Utility (should be in your system tray/next to the clock) and tick a box to force the analogue audio out back on.

SUMMONER;5481450

One of my customers had that problem the other day, after applying SP2 to … One of my customers had that problem the other day, after applying SP2 to his Vista installation.His computer has on-board Realtek HD Audio.Cause of the problem was that the card stopped sensing what type of speakers were connected and switched to digital out only.All I had to do to make it work again was bring up the Realtek Audio Utility (should be in your system tray/next to the clock) and tick a box to force the analogue audio out back on.

I dont have the realtek in my system tray :? :thinking:

Original Poster

i think i might have accidentally uninstalled the Realtek audio and now it is refusing to install again... oops

borolad94;5481470

I dont have the realtek in my system tray :? :thinking:

On my desktop it shows as a speaker symbol, bottom right of screen next to clock...

Original Poster

i downloaded the Realtek driver a few times but it won't install properly and my 'Sound, video, and game controllers' icon has gone.

blondi1;5481590

i downloaded the Realtek driver a few times but it won't install properly … i downloaded the Realtek driver a few times but it won't install properly and my 'Sound, video, and game controllers' icon has gone.

The 2nd link that csiman posted should help you.

Original Poster

i tried the fix it program and it didnt detect any sound hardware?

Did you try to just do a system restore to before the update? Sometimes windows updates cause more problems than actually fix anything.

Such a naff op system if you ask me if it needs updating almost every day:? I mean why does windows need so many updates? I would give osx a shot if macs were not so expensive.

Original Poster

waj1234;5481720

Did you try to just do a system restore to before the update? Sometimes … Did you try to just do a system restore to before the update? Sometimes windows updates cause more problems than actually fix anything.Such a naff op system if you ask me if it needs updating almost every day:? I mean why does windows need so many updates? I would give osx a shot if macs were not so expensive.

not sure about the system restore - how do i do that?
    i have tried to update it again but no use - if i do system restore will it not just go back to how it was after the sound problem like it is now as i updated it again?

yeah i totally agree about the updates. i don't usually do them but i switched the laptop on, logged in and left it for a few minutes, in which time it had decided to update itself and break my sound lol :roll:

Banned

blondi1;5481822

not sure about the system restore - how do i do that?i have tried to … not sure about the system restore - how do i do that?i have tried to update it again but no use - if i do system restore will it not just go back to how it was after the sound problem like it is now as i updated it again?yeah i totally agree about the updates. i don't usually do them but i switched the laptop on, logged in and left it for a few minutes, in which time it had decided to update itself and break my sound lol :roll:

yeah - do a system restore to before the updates and then re-apply the updates omitting the sound driver update

google system restore

To do a system restore just type systme restore in the bottom search bar of the start menu (click start orb)

Restore it back to just before the updates or some time yesterday if it was ok then.

then next time it updates choose custom install and do not choose the audio one or if unsure un tick em all, doubt it will make any difference anyhow. I often turn updates off as it bloody annoys me.:-D

Original Poster

ok got system restore up but its only showing todays updates and it was last night the trouble started.. i tried to create a restore points but nothing seemed to happen

blondi1;5481886

ok got system restore up but its only showing todays updates and it was … ok got system restore up but its only showing todays updates and it was last night the trouble started.. i tried to create a restore points but nothing seemed to happen

Is that on recomended updates or choose a different one?

Original Poster

waj1234;5481902

Is that on recomended updates or choose a different one?

choose a different one

blondi1;5481912

choose a different one

Strange. It should show beyond todays date really.

Mine only has from the 11th and the 12th since I only got the laptop on Thursday.

Original Poster

mine only has a list of about 4 updates but att dated today.. maybe it erases the older ones when new ones are created

blondi1;5481949

mine only has a list of about 4 updates but att dated today.. maybe it … mine only has a list of about 4 updates but att dated today.. maybe it erases the older ones when new ones are created

Well the oldest one should be before your update as it makes it before it installs it, just try it as it cant harm anything and can be undone:thumbsup:

Original Poster

waj1234;5482003

Well the oldest one should be before your update as it makes it before it … Well the oldest one should be before your update as it makes it before it installs it, just try it as it cant harm anything and can be undone:thumbsup:

i'll give it a shot :thumbsup:

Original Poster

nope sadly didnt work... damn windows vista lol

anyone know if you can manually set a time and date to restore system back to?

Try...
    1. start, control panel
    2. backup & restore centre
    3. in the left hand column select "repair windows using system restore" .
    4. check " choose a different restore point"
    5. at the bottom check "show restore points older than 5 days"

Not an expert but worth a try.

Original Poster

i can't see a 'show restore points older than 5 days'

is it on this part?
    http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7139/restorez.jpg

blondi1;5482277

i can't see a 'show restore points older than 5 days'is it on this part?

That`s strange... the picture you have is the same as mine but at the bottom of mine it says "show restore points older than 5 days" together with a checkbox. :thinking:

Original Poster

aww well must be my stupid computer lol
    thank you so much for trying to help tho
    xx

Mines working now. I don't know about yours :thumbsup:

I had the same problem, but when i rebooted it was fine.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best £500 student laptop choice?11
      2. word association Game74044543
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767380
      4. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?11

See more discussions