Groups
    EXPIRED

Laptop problem since going into the registry - updated

Banned
    sorry about starting a new thread but thought old one wouldnt be looked at as ya all know i sorted that

any after going inot the registry on restart it wouldnt come on, had to turn it off then on then off then it finall came on, Just turned lappy off to take upstairs and on turning it on back to black screen had to turn it on and off 4 times before it would come on

68 Comments

Original Poster Banned

incase someone new wants to see what i did before this problem hotukdeals.com/ite…fo/

Can you explain in more detail exactly what is appearing, what comes on the screen etc?

Original Poster Banned

when i turn it on the fans come on and the screen is just black, nothing else

Original Poster Banned

andy will it tell me the problems, or do i need to know what im looking for

mod

sassie;4023149

andy will it tell me the problems, or do i need to know what im looking … andy will it tell me the problems, or do i need to know what im looking for

They "should" both find and fix the problem. Trend Micro can take an eternity, so leave your computer on overnight. The registry scan shouldn't take too long though.

You don't need to know what your looking for:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

it isnt a virus, i have literally been fine until an hourish ago when i deleted from the registry

Sounds like a battery thing to me, like it needs more juice before it fully powers up. Can you check how much power percentage the battery currently has?

Best do a reinstall :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Be quicker

Original Poster Banned

jesus christ 484 invalid registries were found

Original Poster Banned

PhearFactor;4023219

Sounds like a battery thing to me, like it needs more juice before it … Sounds like a battery thing to me, like it needs more juice before it fully powers up. Can you check how much power percentage the battery currently has?

im on mains

Does it show the bios screen (the text when you first turn on) then go black? How long have you left it before rebooting? Windows updates can sometimes cause the system to *appear* to freeze whilst its actually working, its worth leaving it a few minutes to make sure its not doing anything...

mod

sassie;4023230

jesus christ 484 invalid registries were found

Thats common if you aint done one before. Do a Windows update and do a complete defrag also when all is AOK:thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

brillaint its repaired 15 out of the 484, some chuffin use that is

Original Poster Banned

jah128;4023246

Does it show the bios screen (the text when you first turn on) then go … Does it show the bios screen (the text when you first turn on) then go black? How long have you left it before rebooting? Windows updates can sometimes cause the system to *appear* to freeze whilst its actually working, its worth leaving it a few minutes to make sure its not doing anything...

it doesnt come up with anything, just the fan going, waited about 5 minutes and nothing, then on the 4th go it came on
    andywedge;4023254

Thats common if you aint done one before. Do a complete defrag also when … Thats common if you aint done one before. Do a complete defrag also when all is AOK:thumbsup:

did a defrag this afternoon

Original Poster Banned

if i copy and paste results anyone in the know to check if any of them would cause this

ok forget that idea i cant copy and paste from it

mod

sassie;4023255

brillaint its repaired 15 out of the 484, some chuffin use that is

I have a really good one on my laptop called "Tuneup Utilities" that I run weekly. There's a free 30 day trial here download.com/Tun…tml It "touch wood" repairs 100% of my registry problems.

CCleaner has a good reg cleaner. Might not do much good if it's been fiddled with though.
    (Noobs should stay out of the registry btw :p)

Banned

silly question but what and why did you delete from the registry?

Original Poster Banned

casparwhite;4023373

silly question but what and why did you delete from the registry?

see post 2

It is not related to the registry or anything on the hard drive. The laptop from what Sassie has said is not even posting, which means it is not software related whatsoever.

Original Poster Banned

PhearFactor;4023384

It is not related to the registry or anything on the hard drive. The … It is not related to the registry or anything on the hard drive. The laptop from what Sassie has said is not even posting, which means it is not software related whatsoever.

what you think it just coincidence that i deleted in the registry and on restart after deleting now have this problem

Unless the laptop is going into some sort of suspend mode it cannot be related to the registry changes. Change how the shutdown/log off/power off buttons work in the Control Panel > Power options page. If it is going into sleep mode or suspend, just change it to the normal shutdown method and see what happens.

Original Poster Banned

PhearFactor;4023438

Unless the laptop is going into some sort of suspend mode it cannot be … Unless the laptop is going into some sort of suspend mode it cannot be related to the registry changes. Change how the shutdown/log off/power off buttons work in the Control Panel > Power options page. If it is going into sleep mode or suspend, just change it to the normal shutdown method and see what happens.

i checked them, they are all the same as they where before

What exactly do they say - I am trying to help you here

Y'know, you really need to work on your communication skills. My blah blah did blah blah so I did blah blah now it doesn't blah blah means surprisingly little. Try explaining things clearly in specific terms and without skimping on details. It really helps, and not just within this context, but in all moments of life when you need to share something with someone to gain something.

Original Poster Banned

PhearFactor;4023472

What exactly do they say - I am trying to help you here

yes i know you are

which bit do you want to know, theres lots of tabs in power settings

Original Poster Banned

dxx;4023487

Y'know, you really need to work on your communication skills. My blah … Y'know, you really need to work on your communication skills. My blah blah did blah blah so I did blah blah now it doesn't blah blah means surprisingly little. Try explaining things clearly in specific terms and without skimping on details. It really helps, and not just within this context, but in all moments of life when you need to share something with someone to gain something.

how can i make it any clearer, the laptop has a black screen on turn on :?

its my technical skills that arent to good, if they where any better i wouldnt be here asking for help - lol

What power scheme is it using Sassie?

Also, advanced tab - what does it do when you press the power buttons?

sassie;4023489

how can i make it any clearer, the laptop has a black screen on turn on … how can i make it any clearer, the laptop has a black screen on turn on :?its my technical skills that arent to good, if they where any better i wouldnt be here asking for help - lol

By the time you have fiddle diddled on hotukdeals you could have done a full format and reinstall and be sitting happy as a pig in s**t with your now again working laptop :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

PhearFactor;4023494

What power scheme is it using Sassie?

power scheme is portable/laptop

Original Poster Banned

esq3585;4023501

By the time you have fiddle diddled on hotukdeals you could have done a … By the time you have fiddle diddled on hotukdeals you could have done a full format and reinstall and be sitting happy as a pig in s**t with your now again working laptop :thumbsup:

and lose everything on my laptop, i have nothing to back anything up

If your running on mains change it to Always on. Advanced tab, power buttons - change to Shutdown.

Apply those settings and try shutting down and rebooting.

Original Poster Banned

advanced -

when i close my lid hibernate (but never close lid unless i shut down anyway)
    when i press the power button on my computer shut down
    when i press the sleep button on my computer shut down (although i dont know what the sleep button is)

sassie;4023512

and lose everything on my laptop, i have nothing to back anything up

Shows the importance of regular backups, seriously though you could dload burn and run a copy of ubuntu to access the drive on the machine, copy all the stuff you need to the cd/dvd burner on the laptop. Then do a re install :thumbsup:

Just confirm a full shutdown and reboot Sassie that it still does it again (without touching the lid).

Original Poster Banned

PhearFactor;4023541

Just confirm a full shutdown and reboot Sassie that it still does it … Just confirm a full shutdown and reboot Sassie that it still does it again (without touching the lid).

just waiting for this scan to finish :thumbsup:

When your laptop is turned on and has a black screen, can you tilt the monitor to see whether the image of the desktop is on the screen - just not lit up?

Edit: If you can see an image that's not lit up the inverter or backlight might be on its way out - unless you've ruled out that the screen might have a fault.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions