Laptop recommendation

Posted 25th Nov
My son would absolutely love a laptop for christmas but having just come off maternity leave and moving house money is tighter than a duck's arse.
What is the minimum I should be spending on a laptop which will mostly be used for gaming and homework?
I have no idea what 'specs' we need to be looking for.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
What games would he be playing as that would need the most power so would give a good starting point but most low end gaming ones are going to be £500 or more for something that will run a few games.
"Mostly be used for gaming and homework" means two different things unfortunately. You can definitely pick up a budget laptop for homework duties (which will just be browser based tasks most likely), but if you want to get him something to do gaming on then your budget will need to increase quite a bit. How much were you wanting to spend on a laptop for him?
Haircut_10025/11/2019 11:21

"Mostly be used for gaming and homework" means two different things …"Mostly be used for gaming and homework" means two different things unfortunately. You can definitely pick up a budget laptop for homework duties (which will just be browser based tasks most likely), but if you want to get him something to do gaming on then your budget will need to increase quite a bit. How much were you wanting to spend on a laptop for him?

How much do I need to spend so that it will do the job?
Edited by: "hotphoenix30" 25th Nov
Budget would depends on what game he is playing.
Entry level gaming laptop would from 550
I’d go with a PC for gaming over a laptop. Much better value for money as they’re upgradable, less costly for the same specs, less overheating issues and just generally better.
Edited by: "Mechtup" 25th Nov
Mechtup25/11/2019 13:42

I’d go with a PC for gaming over a laptop. Much better value for money as t …I’d go with a PC for gaming over a laptop. Much better value for money as they’re upgradable, less costly for the same specs, less overheating issues and just generally better.

We have a PC but very little space. He only tends to only play games like roblox, minecraft and fortnite so I was hoping we could get a laptop that he could use in his room
hotphoenix3025/11/2019 14:16

We have a PC but very little space. He only tends to only play games like …We have a PC but very little space. He only tends to only play games like roblox, minecraft and fortnite so I was hoping we could get a laptop that he could use in his room

The laptop linked above from amazon is about the cheapest your going to get that will play fortnite on medium/high settings at a reasonable frame rate.
If 550-600 is more than you want to spend then a gaming laptop is not for you, maybe buy ps4 or xbox
Mark_Hickman25/11/2019 14:30

The laptop linked above from amazon is about the cheapest your going to …The laptop linked above from amazon is about the cheapest your going to get that will play fortnite on medium/high settings at a reasonable frame rate.If 550-600 is more than you want to spend then a gaming laptop is not for you, maybe buy ps4 or xbox

That's really useful advice. Thank you
We do have a PS4. We also have a 9 month old who likes to 'assist' in playing on it which was why I wanted something for his room but currently £550/£600 is out of budget.
Maybe we'll just get him a laptop for homework. Any tips on that?
Homework
Lenovo V155 Ryzen 3 3200U 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6" Vega 3 Windows 10 Home Laptop
£280
ebuyer.com/912…4uk

If you want it to run some games, Ryzen 5 3500u may worth considering. It can run fortnite at mid/ low settings

ACER Aspire 5 A515-43 15.6" AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop - 256 GB SSD, Silver £400
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

HP 14-dk0008na 14" IPS, Ryzen 5 (3rd gen), 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD £399 @ AO £400
hotukdeals.com/dea…494

Lenovo V155-15API AMD Ryzen 5-3500U 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6 Inch Full HD Display Radeon Vega 8 Windows 10 £350
ebuyer.com/901…8uk
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 25th Nov
Min £500
hotphoenix3025/11/2019 14:48

That's really useful advice. Thank youWe do have a PS4. We also have a 9 …That's really useful advice. Thank youWe do have a PS4. We also have a 9 month old who likes to 'assist' in playing on it which was why I wanted something for his room but currently £550/£600 is out of budget.Maybe we'll just get him a laptop for homework. Any tips on that?

The Lenovo linked above for £350 will be a great little machine for homework and it will play those games but only on low/medium settings at 720p
Having spoken to my hubby he thinks we might be better off getting something on finance (like the argos card or something) He says if we are going to spend £350/400 we might as well spend £500/£600 and pay it over 12 months.

If we go down that route what sort of thing would you advise getting?
hotphoenix3026/11/2019 10:54

Having spoken to my hubby he thinks we might be better off getting …Having spoken to my hubby he thinks we might be better off getting something on finance (like the argos card or something) He says if we are going to spend £350/400 we might as well spend £500/£600 and pay it over 12 months.If we go down that route what sort of thing would you advise getting?

The minimum your going to need for the gaming to be decent is i5/ryzen 5 3500u processor and a nvidia gtx1650 graphics card.
The asus linked above on Amazon is the best cheapest gaming laptop around that has all the requirements you need.
Its £598.50 could be put on a credit card, or its available at very on a black friday deal for the same price which has a buy now pay later interest free for 12 months option, so take your pick.
39125202.jpg
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 26th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants