Laptop recommendations

Posted 26th Nov
I currently need a laptop for university however, I previously purchased the hp stream and well, it was poor. it struggled to open up more than one tab and would freeze constantly. Anyway, long story short I need another laptop for uni but under £200. can anyone recommend something?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Unless you have any specific software requirements outside of web research and essay writing, then get a Chromebook (e.g. johnlewis.com/hp-…759)
Buy something second hand for that money. It's always been tricky to buy an ultra budget laptop new because so many of them are terrible.

chaywa26/11/2019 21:54

Unless you have any specific software requirements outside of web research …Unless you have any specific software requirements outside of web research and essay writing, then get a Chromebook (e.g. https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-chromebook-14-db0003na-amd-a4-processor-4gb-ram-32gb-emmc-14-inch-chalkboard-grey/p3959759)

I thought the x86 chomebooks had their own issues?
chaywa26/11/2019 21:54

Unless you have any specific software requirements outside of web research …Unless you have any specific software requirements outside of web research and essay writing, then get a Chromebook (e.g. https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-chromebook-14-db0003na-amd-a4-processor-4gb-ram-32gb-emmc-14-inch-chalkboard-grey/p3959759)

I’ve never owned a chrome book so I don’t know which ones are good and which ones are bad.
EndlessWaves26/11/2019 22:15

Buy something second hand for that money. It's always been tricky to buy …Buy something second hand for that money. It's always been tricky to buy an ultra budget laptop new because so many of them are terrible. I thought the x86 chomebooks had their own issues?

What websites do you recommend? Laptop direct prices have increased compared to when I first bought my laptop from them so I don’t want to purchase it from them.
under £200 is very low budget for a laptop. this seems a decent one if you can chuck in another £79.99 and don't mind it being 15.6 screen

hotukdeals.com/dea…988
Sacredarts26/11/2019 23:04

I’ve never owned a chrome book so I don’t know which ones are good and whi …I’ve never owned a chrome book so I don’t know which ones are good and which ones are bad.

i don't think chromebook will be suitable for uni, you are better off with a laptop.
mutley126/11/2019 23:22

under £200 is very low budget for a laptop. this seems a decent one if …under £200 is very low budget for a laptop. this seems a decent one if you can chuck in another £79.99 and don't mind it being 15.6 screenhttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/another-laptop-bf-deal-from-ebuyer-home-laptop-lenovo-v155-ryzen-3-3200u-8gb-256gb-ssd-156-vega-3-windows-10-3341988

I do already have a laptop which is why my budget is low. My current laptop is too big and heavy so it’s a struggle taking it to uni. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sacredarts26/11/2019 23:30

I do already have a laptop which is why my budget is low. My current …I do already have a laptop which is why my budget is low. My current laptop is too big and heavy so it’s a struggle taking it to uni. Thanks for the suggestions.

i used to have 15.6 laptop and i find it is too heavy and bulky even just for the home so now i have moved to 14 inch laptop. ideally i would prefer the 11 inch ones but they are quite expensive if you want a fast one with good storage.

for uni i would suggest a 14 inch laptop with decent battery life and really you are looking at just under £400 when they are on sale but here is a reasonable one if you are on a low budget. you can sell you r old one and use the money towards the new one.

hotukdeals.com/dea…170

you can also wait until friday to see if anything good comes up for the black friday stampede.
Edited by: "mutley1" 26th Nov
Buy the best refurb lenovo you can afford from
morgancomputers.co.uk/
Don't bother £200 laptop. You will end up with another slow laptop.

What is your existing laptop? Can it be upgrade?
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 27th Nov
If I was going back to uni I would probably buy something like this ebay.co.uk/p/L…638, (make a £190 delivered offer, buy via TCB and collect the bonus nectar points).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 27th Nov
Cisco06060627/11/2019 07:48

Don't bother £200 laptop. You will end up with another slow laptop.What is …Don't bother £200 laptop. You will end up with another slow laptop.What is your existing laptop? Can it be upgrade?

I currently have a hp laptop intel core i3. It’s perfect for me so I don’t want to get rid of it but it’s too heavy and big to take to uni
in that case, get that Pre-own X260. That should fit your purpose.
There are 2 with 180GB SSD with £150/ 160
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants