Laptop recommendations

Posted 30th Jun 2020
Hi all,

After a 14/15” laptop with a decent processor and 8gb ram.

Will be used for when travelling for work so remote login etc...no gaming.

After something reliable, fast and light

What would people recommend? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
2 Comments
I would recommend going to place like Currys/PC World and trying out those within your budget. The keyboard and screen is so important. As for remote login, to be the most reliable you are looking for an in-built 4G LTE SIM coard or an equivalent add-on dongle. Unless, you want to trust public wifi.

During your visit make a shortlist of 3; jot down all the specs and price and then research for a better deal on-line.

Would you seriously buy a car on the strength of a recommendation in here? If so, then buy a Lenovo/Dell/HP business laptop that matches your budget - not some cheap laptop intended for home use.

Oh and if you are an employee get your employer to specify/purchase/fund. And if self-employed offset it against tax.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 1st Jul
For your needs, you can get a great laptop for about £550-£650 - there are plenty of deals posted on here.
Main things to look for:

Brand: Dell/Lenovo/Huawei
Build: All metal, avoid the plastic builds
Processor: Intel i5 or higher. AMD, I'm not sure what the latest model numbers are. But ones released this year are quite good.
Storage: Only buy SSD - this will be the main factor in everyday speed (Startup, application load times etc.)

Personally, I think the Lenovo and Huawei offerings are great value
Post a comment
@
    Text