Groups

Laptop recommendations please (SSD, > 6h battery life, < 1.5 kg and > 13 inch screen)

Even better if currently on sale

Thanks!

15 Comments

Asus ux305 from last year or the 2016 version.
    Best ultrabook on the market(value for money)

Original Poster

napior

Asus ux305 from last year or the 2016 version.Best ultrabook on the … Asus ux305 from last year or the 2016 version.Best ultrabook on the market(value for money)

Thanks! I had seen the UX310UA... and will now have a look at the UX305 as per your recommendation

Trying to make sense of the obscure jargon

MacBook Air.

Lenovo ThinkPad T450s or t460s

Hp spectre x360, lenovo yoga 910 or 710, Dell xps 13.

Some idea of budget would be useful. No point recommending a £1000 laptop if you've only got £500 to spend ...

Original Poster

Spod

Some idea of budget would be useful. No point recommending a £1000 laptop … Some idea of budget would be useful. No point recommending a £1000 laptop if you've only got £500 to spend ...

Indeed Ideally, around £500-600.

The laptop will get plenty of use as shared. But mainly for browsing and watching videos. No high resolution, gaming/editing, touchscreen/2-in-1 requirements.

Given our needs, we thought we could get away with buying a £300 laptop. It turned out to be frustratingly slow. So we want to keep the portability of our current laptop (battery life, weight and size) but with a SSD (simply fitting a SSD on the current laptop wouldn't be worth it as already old).

Thanks!

Edited by: "Belga" 17th Nov 2016

Original Poster

Thank you all for the recommendations

1.5Kg limits you a lot, especially on > 13" screen. Cost will probably rule out Dell XPS and HP Spectre.

If you don't mind going a bit over that 1.5Kg, but still under 2.0Kg, take a look at the Lenovo Yoga Core I5 laptops.
    Actually, this I7 model looks good:
    pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml

Might be worth waiting to see if there's any special offers on laptops with GTX 9xx series graphics in the runup to black Friday - now that the GTX 10xx series are out there may be a few old models sold off.
    Edited by: "Spod" 17th Nov 2016

Original Poster

Spod

1.5Kg limits you a lot, especially on 13" screen. Cost will probably … 1.5Kg limits you a lot, especially on > 13" screen. Cost will probably rule out Dell XPS and HP Spectre.If you don't mind going a bit over that 1.5Kg, but still under 2.0Kg, take a look at the Lenovo Yoga Core I5 laptops. Actually, this I7 model looks good:http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-yoga-510-14-2-in-1-black-10146249-pdt.htmlMight be worth waiting to see if there's any special offers on laptops with GTX 9xx series graphics in the runup to black Friday - now that the GTX 10xx series are out there may be a few old models sold off.

Many thanks! Very helpful

you don't mention a budget but when I was looking for similar spec laptop last year I tried the XPS/Spectre's and ended up buying a Macbook Pro retina...yes it's very expensive but I've not regretted it for a minute.

Avoid the Macbook Air If you start looking at Mac's though, it's old and tired now....

If you know anyone who works for HP they are currently doing an amazing staff store offer...

HP Spectre Pro G1 (13" i5, 8Gb,256Gb SSD) rrp £1200 for £600

Original Poster

Uridium

If you know anyone who works for HP they are currently doing an amazing … If you know anyone who works for HP they are currently doing an amazing staff store offer...HP Spectre Pro G1 (13" i5, 8Gb,256Gb SSD) rrp £1200 for £600

oO I need to make new friends

Original Poster

Uridium

you don't mention a budget but when I was looking for similar spec laptop … you don't mention a budget but when I was looking for similar spec laptop last year I tried the XPS/Spectre's and ended up buying a Macbook Pro retina...yes it's very expensive but I've not regretted it for a minute. Avoid the Macbook Air If you start looking at Mac's though, it's old and tired now....

Expensive indeed Targeting the £500-600 mark as I mainly use my laptop for browsing and watching videos.

No high resolution, gaming/editing, touchscreen/2-in-1 requirements. Just reliability, speed (for light tasks) and portability

Belga

oO I need to make new friends

One per employee as well , and I've used my code already....sorry.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1215
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?712
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!77
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767220

See more discussions