Groups

Laptop Repair

Anybody on here repair laptops on here? I've got a laptop that doesn't acknowledge the laptop adapter and doesn't have a battery and was wondering how best to debug to find what's wrong with it.

Thanks in advance

9 Comments

Banned

What laptop make and model is it? maybe you have a friend who has a spare adapter and battery?

Original Poster

Its a Samsung X15 plus. Took it to a internet cafe that do laptop repairs last week and they tested it with two different multi-adapters and it didn't power up, the light to say power didn't even come on
    I've just stripped it down to the motherboard and had a sniff around for the basic fried cpu but smells ok. I did find that the black and white cables that run from the screen to the wifi module cables were put on the wrong way, so i was wondering if that would be a cause for a short in the circuit?

Banned

jennyrocks;4246054

Its a Samsung X15 plus. Took it to a internet cafe that do laptop repairs … Its a Samsung X15 plus. Took it to a internet cafe that do laptop repairs last week and they tested it with two different multi-adapters and it didn't power up, the light to say power didn't even come on I've just stripped it down to the motherboard and had a sniff around for the basic fried cpu but smells ok. I did find that the black and white cables that run from the screen to the wifi module cables were put on the wrong way, so i was wondering if that would be a cause for a short in the circuit?

Probably, more likely to fry the monitor than the motherboard. If it was the wrong way round suggests someone's been in it before to try and fix it where did you get it from?

Original Poster

Yeah I was thinking that. My dad bought it from a car boot sale so no taking it back lol. Would be good if I could fix it tho! I've been quoted £15 for somebody to look at it and find out whats wrong but dunno if that is worth it tbh. Screen + Mobo could be broken! Any ideas would be great tho

Banned

jennyrocks;4246367

Yeah I was thinking that. My dad bought it from a car boot sale so no … Yeah I was thinking that. My dad bought it from a car boot sale so no taking it back lol. Would be good if I could fix it tho! I've been quoted £15 for somebody to look at it and find out whats wrong but dunno if that is worth it tbh. Screen + Mobo could be broken! Any ideas would be great tho

stick it on ebay as parts + repair and just be honest about it, can't find your laptop on ebay so guess you've got the model wrong.

Original Poster

A couple sold through the week mine is the samsung X15 plus, the other two were just X15. Might try and find some1 with a battery for it but doubt any1 will. Thanks anyway.

Would testing it with a multimeter be any use if i found a power adapter for the laptop?

Hi, The two wires running from the screen are only the wifi aeriel coax cables, they go from the mini pci wifi adapter to either side of the screen. The only reason there are two is to give you better reception, one will be the main, and it will switch to the other side if laptop is moved.
    If your laptop does not power on at all, it could be any number of things but in my experience it is either, no ram, dead power supply, broken DC socket onto motherboard (most likely as it gets knocked and it is only soldered to the motherboard), or completely dead in which case get a motherboard off ebay from a laptop with a dead screen will do the trick as you already have it in bits.
    If anyone else needs to dismantle their laptop, a good start is normally to remove the keyboard first and it all becomes clear (as mud).
    Hope this helps a bit, cheers.

Original Poster

Dante;4375267

Hi, The two wires running from the screen are only the wifi aeriel coax … Hi, The two wires running from the screen are only the wifi aeriel coax cables, they go from the mini pci wifi adapter to either side of the screen. The only reason there are two is to give you better reception, one will be the main, and it will switch to the other side if laptop is moved.If your laptop does not power on at all, it could be any number of things but in my experience it is either, no ram, dead power supply, broken DC socket onto motherboard (most likely as it gets knocked and it is only soldered to the motherboard), or completely dead in which case get a motherboard off ebay from a laptop with a dead screen will do the trick as you already have it in bits.If anyone else needs to dismantle their laptop, a good start is normally to remove the keyboard first and it all becomes clear (as mud).Hope this helps a bit, cheers.

Hi, I don't suppose you know how I could test to see if it is a broken DC socket? The problem with just buying one off ebay with a broken screen is that I don't know if the screen I've got is working lol.

Hi, As long as your screen is intact, the only other thing that normally stops the screen is the backlight and inverter (what powers and lights the screen), and you will now have two of these. You would be very unlucky if you could not make one good one out of two.
    As for the DC socket, does it wobble or is power light intermittent when plugged in?
    Did it stop working suddenly or did it degrade over time?
    Cheers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. laptop for editing 4k videos (3840×2160p 30 fps)11
      2. BBQ Lighter Fuel or Gel11
      3. Messages11
      4. Customs charged too much for a little item!67

See more discussions