Laptop repair suggestions please

5 replies
Found 22nd Apr 2010
We have an Acer laptop that's a few years old but was ideal for surfing the net. The socket in the laptop where the the ac adaptor plugs in broke and a friend of a friend replaced it (for a fee), but it still hasn't worked since - a bit awkward as we felt we couldn't complain. Can anyone suggest how we can get it sorted out? Don't really want to spend loads just for someone to have a look at it only to tell us it can't be fixed. Can't afford to replace it but it seems such a waste, not being able to use it when it seems to have such a simple problem.

5 Comments

Banned

the cost of a new mother board is as much as buying a new one, the repair wasnt so simple as it still doesnt work

Dont throw good money after bad

they might have just done a poor job resoldering the power jack. or fitted a wrong part. just ask them nicely to double check. how much they charge you?

or blown the circuit board as i did trying to attempt the same repair, dont think i earthed myself :oops:

jubbyme;8432661

the cost of a new mother board is as much as buying a new one, the repair … the cost of a new mother board is as much as buying a new one, the repair wasnt so simple as it still doesnt workDont throw good money after bad

Gotta agree, put it down to experience and get a new one

Original Poster

It's an Acer Aspire 3003 WLMi. If you push the jack right in (at the right sort of angle) you can get it to work, but of course as soon as you let go there's no power (added to that we'd not been able to have the battery in as it made the laptop freeze - took it to a local shop for that who couldn't find any fault). Got no funds to buy another so was hoping to revive this one for the moment.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which wall design do you like best?89
    2. word association Game74244939
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901
    4. Add one, leave one game54415485

See more discussions