Groups

Laptop Repairs - Should I go with Warranty Repair risking a £150 Flat Fee?

Basically this morning my laptop decided not to hold any charge. The place where the charger slots in has been loose but today was almost completely off except for the main wire. I have not done anything to it that could have caused this so I am confused. I rang where I got the laptop from (Littlewoods - I was lucky they used to send me LOTS of money off codes) and they gave me a number to ring Sony to explain the problem.

I did this, got a case number etc, everyting was fine with warranty etc - until it got towards the end of the call - he said if the damage was seen by the engineer to be 'physical damage' ie caused by me then I would have to pay their £150 flat fee before they'll send the laptop back to me. Thinking about it, I can see that they will say this as surely there would be no other way this could happen. Which is why I am confused - I have done nothing physical to the laptop at all but they could say I had and I'd be stuck - no laptop before I paid them the £150.

My question is - would you recommend just going for it? Or can anyone recommend a trustworthy place to get it repaired (but will it be cheaper?)...

It's a Sony Vaio FW11E

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

17 Comments

Why not take the laptop into your nearest Sony Centre and ask for some advice and a recommendation before you go ahead. Explain that there is nothing you have done to it... but check first just incase there is any comeback. At least if you physically take it in you could get a first hand opinion before sending it away.

TBH the charger port on the motherboard should be designed to take 'plugging in, taking out, plugging in' over a long period of time, if its a fault or a loose connection on the solder to me that is a design fault. On an item that is made to take such operation it should be up to the job for many many years. Remember - Trades Description Act states that a componant should be 'fit for its purpose' - if there is nothing you have done then clearly its not - and i would state this to Sony coz they are cheeky blagging bastaardo's when it comes to warranty repairs, been there dont worry ;-)

You can go in all guns blazing, but expect to be laughed out of the store.

So many people kick, pull, twist, bend, drop and abuse their laptop charging points it's unbelievable - at least 75% of these faults are accidental damage through abuse but NO-ONE ever admits it.

I'm not saying yours is - i'm just saying whenever these things get sent back it almost always ends up being accidental damage and so they will be less than helpful.

Same for the "the LCD screen just smashed!" line which comes up after the laptop was dropped...

Another option is to 'accidently damage' the rest of the laptop and claim on your house insurance :whistling:

Banned

oh dear, another sony laptop where the charging point is broken.

somebody else had a long thread on this very point on here a couple of weeks ago. I think he paid £150+ twice and its broken again.

cant find it in the search

Original Poster

Squelds;5938394

Why not take the laptop into your nearest Sony Centre and ask for some … Why not take the laptop into your nearest Sony Centre and ask for some advice and a recommendation before you go ahead. Explain that there is nothing you have done to it... but check first just incase there is any comeback. At least if you physically take it in you could get a first hand opinion before sending it away.TBH the charger port on the motherboard should be designed to take 'plugging in, taking out, plugging in' over a long period of time, if its a fault or a loose connection on the solder to me that is a design fault. On an item that is made to take such operation it should be up to the job for many many years. Remember - Trades Description Act states that a componant should be 'fit for its purpose' - if there is nothing you have done then clearly its not - and i would state this to Sony coz they are cheeky blagging bastaardo's when it comes to warranty repairs, been there dont worry ;-)

I don't think I'll have time to go to a Sony Centre today - have been trying local places but no luck yet

Jakg;5938504

You can go in all guns blazing, but expect to be laughed out of the … You can go in all guns blazing, but expect to be laughed out of the store.So many people kick, pull, twist, bend, drop and abuse their laptop charging points it's unbelievable - at least 75% of these faults are accidental damage through abuse but NO-ONE ever admits it.I'm not saying yours is - i'm just saying whenever these things get sent back it almost always ends up being accidental damage and so they will be less than helpful.Same for the "the LCD screen just smashed!" line which comes up after the laptop was dropped...

I've seen other people complain of this problem. It's just daft...and I honestly haven't abused my laptop :thumbsup:

Squelds;5938547

Another option is to 'accidently damage' the rest of the laptop and claim … Another option is to 'accidently damage' the rest of the laptop and claim on your house insurance :whistling:

That is an idea actually...but surely I could just claim for the one fault? Or are you saying damage it more to get a new one? lol

the porter;5938569

This thread is ironic I have the Sony fw21 only 4 months old and my … This thread is ironic I have the Sony fw21 only 4 months old and my charger point has snapped the round bit on the left and was picked up yesterday by dhl to go Sony, so it will be interesting to see what happens with mine I have had numerous laptops and never had. A problem before to me it's a design fault usually on others the charging point is built on on the side ,but I wouldn't pay it if I was you argue your case .

That's the same part that is loose on mine...would be interesting to see if they fix yours :thumbsup:

I tried to argue but I just got myself upset - I could barely understand what he was talking about as he was going too quickly and was hard to grasp.

csiman;5938810

oh dear, another sony laptop where the charging point is broken.somebody … oh dear, another sony laptop where the charging point is broken.somebody else had a long thread on this very point on here a couple of weeks ago. I think he paid £150+ twice and its broken again.cant find it in the search

I saw that & think I commented that mine was loose and asked if it really did cost £150....now I know the answer! :thumbsup:

Banned

xsazzyjayx;5938972

I saw that & think I commented that mine was loose and asked if it … I saw that & think I commented that mine was loose and asked if it really did cost £150....now I know the answer! :thumbsup:

I think the second repair bill was more like £320! :w00t:

Yep m8 thats exactly what im saying.. try the old 'kids dropped it down the stairs trick' make sure the lcd is nicely cracked and the chassis is a bit damaged. Take the hdd out and knock it around a bit so thats dead (backup first obviously) and beat it a bit more. kick it, then beat it a bit more lol.

Original Poster

csiman;5938983

I think the second repair bill was more like £320! :w00t:

Squelds;5939164

Yep m8 thats exactly what im saying.. try the old 'kids dropped it down … Yep m8 thats exactly what im saying.. try the old 'kids dropped it down the stairs trick' make sure the lcd is nicely cracked and the chassis is a bit damaged. Take the hdd out and knock it around a bit so thats dead (backup first obviously) and beat it a bit more. kick it, then beat it a bit more lol.

No way!!

Oh my god - when I researched this laptop on buying I didn't see anything pop up that would indicate it had common problems.

Gutted!

Original Poster

Squelds;5939164

Yep m8 thats exactly what im saying.. try the old 'kids dropped it down … Yep m8 thats exactly what im saying.. try the old 'kids dropped it down the stairs trick' make sure the lcd is nicely cracked and the chassis is a bit damaged. Take the hdd out and knock it around a bit so thats dead (backup first obviously) and beat it a bit more. kick it, then beat it a bit more lol.

I couldn't help but laugh at all of that!!

Trying some local places & not having much luck - I can't wait til Monday - will keep your idea as a last resort haha!:thumbsup:

Banned

the porter;5939179

Where's the thread I can't find it either?

hotukdeals.com/ite…an/

my bad - just one repair at £230 and sony want another £230 to repair it again! :w00t:

hotukdeals.com/ite…an/

Banned

xsazzyjayx;5939189

I couldn't help but laugh at all of that!!Trying some local places & not … I couldn't help but laugh at all of that!!Trying some local places & not having much luck - I can't wait til Monday - will keep your idea as a last resort haha!:thumbsup:

I'd avoid going down the insurance fraud path! Especially if you have an excess or worse still, dont have acciental cover for a laptop ;-)

Hmm. I'm smelling a class action suit in the next few months!

Seems to be a lot of cases of this, it must be a design flaw and thus the goods not fit for purpose route should come to your assistance. You might have to be prepared for a bit of a fight though, but don't accept the £150 at any cost - if you're certain you haven't misused it, I'd prepare to take them to court if they tried to charge.

Try and find out other cases where people have similar problems, it sounds like there are quite a few - and try and get some publicity (bitterwallet is a starting point, if there a few members here who've had the same problem I reckon they would do an article)..

]This is the part that will likely need replacing. It sells for around £25+VAT plus labour (which could be anything up to £100).

People tend to damage the dc-in port by stepping on/tripping over the mains cable, while it is plugged into the computer.

£45 if you send naked mobo
    £90 if you send laptop
    next day service _ not used it - I am gonna have a go myself (maybe)

laptopsockets.co.uk/dc_…htm

COCO

Original Poster

the porter;5947605

good old sony i knew i shouldnt of been worried vaio received this … good old sony i knew i shouldnt of been worried vaio received this morning via dhl all repaired under warranty and even cleaned from top to bottom stickers removed and vaio cleaning cloth included free of charge you get what you pay for

Wow! How quick was that??

I rang Sony up again yesterday - calmer this time I might add!

I explained the issue again & told them I'd been researching & found it was a common problem & I had in no way damaged my laptop & it needed repairing under warranty.

He went away for a bit to 'discuss with a colleague' came back & said they will repair under warranty!

Laptop was collected by DHL this morning & was told approx 5 working days for return.

How long overall did yours take the porter? 2 days?

Thank you to everyone who has commented - I will get round to repping you all!

I'll keep you updated - I'm lost without my laptop - sad isn't it??

Original Poster

the porter;5947846

yes 2 days all in cant be bad

Fingers crossed I get mine early next week then :thumbsup:

xsazzyjayx;5947768

I explained the issue again & told them I'd been researching & found it … I explained the issue again & told them I'd been researching & found it was a common problem & I had in no way damaged my laptop & it needed repairing under warranty.

dead common , you can explain the Apple Laptops don't suffer this problem because the power cord is held on with quick-release magnets and cannot shear off inside the laptop

( not on all models but apple is a direct competitor with high-end Sony products and they hate to be bested)

COCO
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help Feed a Homeless Animal for Free1608651
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047187
      3. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.918
      4. One thing you've forgotten79

See more discussions