Groups
    EXPIRED

Laptop software advice ?

I've just bought a laptop for my daughter but it doesn't have Microsoft Word/Office. Can anyone recommend some software so that she can create word documents (Microsoft Office software advertised online appears to be about £60 PER YEAR - surely here is no need to pay a yearly amount for basic word processing software ?).

Thank you in anticipation.

13 Comments

I presume they still make Openoffice?
    Yes they do.. Linky

Original Poster

Thanks very much

Openoffice project ended some time ago and was superseded by LibrOffice Get that instead if you want a more up to date office with better features and less bugs, Or just use Googles own Free online Document editing documents can be saved as word.docs Link

Original Poster

Thanks to you both

Windows comes with WordPad, a basic word processor that is fine for creating "Word" type documents.

When we got our new laptop we purchased software from software4students. It's discounted a lot if you have a student in the house.

Original Poster

guilbert53

Windows comes with WordPad, a basic word processor that is fine for … Windows comes with WordPad, a basic word processor that is fine for creating "Word" type documents.

Great Thanks. I'll have a look.

Wordpad is woeful.
    Get freeoffice it will do everything she needs.

Original Poster

jude7219

When we got our new laptop we purchased software from software4students. … When we got our new laptop we purchased software from software4students. It's discounted a lot if you have a student in the house.

Thanks

Original Poster

gr8t1

Wordpad is woeful.Get freeoffice it will do everything she needs.

Thanks

If it's only for word processing , I've used a program called Abi-word for a long time . Just a small package and it works well .
    Problems can arise when you try to read word docs from the latest versions of Office ie .docx files . I dont think Abi-word will allow you to read them . It will read .doc files and you can save your work as .doc files .
    The program is still worth a try.

Original Poster

ricko

If it's only for word processing , I've used a program called Abi-word … If it's only for word processing , I've used a program called Abi-word for a long time . Just a small package and it works well .Problems can arise when you try to read word docs from the latest versions of Office ie .docx files . I dont think Abi-word will allow you to read them . It will read .doc files and you can save your work as .doc files .The program is still worth a try.

Thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One thing you've forgotten1721
      2. Bearded chat1223
      3. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407243
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7311387

See more discussions