Laptop storage space issue

Found 27th Nov 2017
A lot of the laptops these days have very tiny storage space. 32gb with Windows leaves very little space. They always come with a proviso that you can increase space by using a card or flash drive. What I would really like to know is if apps can be downloaded onto a card and not just stuff like photos. Anyone got any idea? I know you cant on Chromebooks just torkin bout Windows machines.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
what kind of laptop you using? every modern day laptops come with 1TB HHD which is plenty for the average user. If your taking about a laptop with eMMC then not much you can do unless the external hard drive was formatted and always attached to your laptop.
Original Poster
No am just looking. I'm torkin about all the machines with 32gb.
I would only buy a 32GB device if it was a chromebook. If it was a windows machine then minimum I would get would be a 64GB device that can be upgrade with a M.2 SSD.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 27th Nov 2017
I have an Acer Revo 32Gb eMMC with a 64Gb SD card attached (and other additional storage options)

Firstly I must point out that I will never buy another 32Gb PC Windows Operating System device again - installing updates...it's just too much hassle.

But if you do decide to go down that fateful path - most software can be installed onto external paths. Some software that doesn't allow this can just be copied across (and shortcuts re-linked)

Move "Your Personal Folders" (docs, downloads, music etc) to external source by right clicking, selecting properties, click location tab

Having said all that I'll reiterate my first point - I've done all the above, as standard, and i still had issues with the recent 4Gb update from Microsoft - including having to turn off hibernation and move virtual memory

If I missed anything or your need more just use the Quote button
Original Poster
philphil612 h, 2 m ago

I have an Acer Revo 32Gb eMMC with a 64Gb SD card attached (and other …I have an Acer Revo 32Gb eMMC with a 64Gb SD card attached (and other additional storage options)Firstly I must point out that I will never buy another 32Gb PC Windows Operating System device again - installing updates...it's just too much hassle.But if you do decide to go down that fateful path - most software can be installed onto external paths. Some software that doesn't allow this can just be copied across (and shortcuts re-linked)Move "Your Personal Folders" (docs, downloads, music etc) to external source by right clicking, selecting properties, click location tabHaving said all that I'll reiterate my first point - I've done all the above, as standard, and i still had issues with the recent 4Gb update from Microsoft - including having to turn off hibernation and move virtual memoryIf I missed anything or your need more just use the Quote button

That's useful thanks. It does sound as if Windows operating in such restricted conditions isn't great and the apps I need are not available on Chromebooks. Guess I ll have set sights a little higher.
barry.turner1 h, 55 m ago

That's useful thanks. It does sound as if Windows operating in such …That's useful thanks. It does sound as if Windows operating in such restricted conditions isn't great and the apps I need are not available on Chromebooks. Guess I ll have set sights a little higher.

Others have different views. Some will just do a fresh install of latest updated OS or ignore updates - for me that goes against the simplicity of what should be a good reliable, easy to use OS. Yes years of updates will gradually slow the system down but I think a more simpler approach is just to ensure you have sufficient storage to do all that's necessary rather than trying to cram everything into as tighter space as possible.

Tis why I'm against any 32Gb PC devices for Windows OS
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants