Laptop suggestions, please...

Found 2nd Mar
I'm looking for some suggestions as to which laptop to buy for work. It's mostly going to be used for AutoCAD, along with standard office duties.

There aren't any real restrictions, though Windows 10 is required, and I'm assuming working with AutoCAD's graphics will mean leaning toward a larger screen size (minimum of 17-inch). Work have given me a healthy budget of "up to £1,000", but I've not purchased a machine in a while, so would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks, people!
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Vencurse14 h, 53 m ago

There might be a cheaper deal somewhere but go all out and leave them £1 …There might be a cheaper deal somewhere but go all out and leave them £1 change!currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/msi-gv72-7re-831uk-17-3-gaming-laptop-black-10174618-pdt.html

Thanks for that. I saw a few options that either came with the 4GB 950M or 2GB 1050 Ti. I tried an online comparison, but could only select the 4GB version of the Ti, which I also found when looking elsewhere (i.e. no 2GB version of the 1050). Do you know if there's much in it, or which is better? I'm guessing the 1050.
It varies in terms of what you're after. For AutoCAD, video editing etc. I'd say more VRam is important. But if you're looking to have higher texture details etc. the 1050Ti 2GB would be better but not as future proofed.

There wouldn't be a huge difference between the two cards. But, you're basically looking for a gaming laptop in terms of specification. There is quite a few sites with recommended laptops for AutoCAD, workstations etc. that might be worthwhile checking out.

it4nextgen.com/bes…ng/

techradar.com/new…480

The workstation laptops tend to be a bit pricier though.
Vencurse4th Mar

It varies in terms of what you're after.

Went for something similar based on your suggestions. Thanks for your advice.
Quietus1 m ago

Went for something similar based on your suggestions. Thanks for your …Went for something similar based on your suggestions. Thanks for your advice.

Which did you go for?
Vencurse2 h, 30 m ago

Which did you go for?

They said they didn't actually require the 17-inch screen, so in the end they went for this one:
laptopsdirect.co.uk/med…asp

If it's a dud, don't tell me, then I can remain blissfully unaware and can't lie to them!
Quietus8 m ago

They said they didn't actually require the 17-inch screen, so in the end …They said they didn't actually require the 17-inch screen, so in the end they went for this one:https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-x6601-core-i7-6700hq-16gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-960m-15.6-inch-30021771/version.aspIf it's a dud, don't tell me, then I can remain blissfully unaware and can't lie to them!

Fair enough! It'll still definitely do the job. The high spec expensive one was just to future proof for longer. But if it's company money, go ham and get a new one few years down the line!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants