Groups

Laptop to tv help?

Banned
    I'm trying to connect my laptop so I can see the picture and sound on my tv with the bigger screen in order to be able to watch sky player.

I was told in currys it would cost around £50 to get the tv cable and then £5 for the separate audio cable. Please take into account my tv is an old tv, and not a hd.

Which cables do I need?

Rep to all helpers.

Thanks.

22 Comments

Does you laptop have a S-Video out ?.

http://www.coloredhome.com/video/s-video_PC.JPG

depends on what output plug is on your laptop

arg i cant remember the name of the cable but i got it for 20 at pc world 55.00 my butt lol

wickedteen;6363147

depends on what output plug is on your laptop

ops might help if i checked that first :oops:

Banned

Well for the picture assuming your TV has a VGA in and the laptop has a VGA out all you need is a VGA cable, can get them for about a fiver (Ebuyer has them). VGA is a big plug that has screws at either side if you don't know what a VGA is.

That takes care of the picture for the sound are you using an external sound system or the speakers in the tv? If your using a surround sound system you can either use an optical audio cable or the usual 3.5 mm audio cable. Might be better just getting a new TV to be honest, an HDTV will allows you to plug in an HMDI (takes care of image and sound) and also will give the best image possible for any High Def content on your laptop

Original Poster Banned

tonyg1962;6363142

Does you laptop have a S-Video out ?.

It does indeed.

best way depends on the connections on the back of your tv. on the older style tv's there are only a limited amount of sockets these being mainly Scart, svideo and component.
    if your laptop has the socket on as pictured above in Tonyg's post then the best way is to get an svideo to scart adaptor these look like this ]Linky then plug the svideo lead into your laptop and the other end into the scart adaptor make sure that the scart adaptor is set to input and away you go!! hope this helps, I would be happy to help further if you are able to clarify what ports are on your laptop and tv thanks again

Then all you need is a S-video to scart lead ,Probably £6 from ebay

http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algebra/Members/Electronics/tv/kabel.jpg

Banned

i got a cable from ebay for a couple off quid, dont know much about computers but guess depends what ports you have or whateva

Original Poster Banned

tonyg1962;6363236

Then all you need is a S-video to scart lead ,Probably £6 from ebay

I have an s video slot on my tv too. Can I not get an s video to s video?

grosvenorgambler;6363263

I have an s video slot on my tv too. Can I not get an s video to s video?

you'd need a seperate audio cable then though, as s-video only carries video The cable I posted above (post #10) should cover both, and is under £5 delivered :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

midlandscomics;6363248

A bit cheaper than £55 … A bit cheaper than £55 :whistling:http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/1382

Thanks for that. I think I'll be ordering that. :thumbsup:

MDawg;6363206

Well for the picture assuming your TV has a VGA in and the laptop has a … Well for the picture assuming your TV has a VGA in and the laptop has a VGA out all you need is a VGA cable, can get them for about a fiver (Ebuyer has them). VGA is a big plug that has screws at either side if you don't know what a VGA is. That takes care of the picture for the sound are you using an external sound system or the speakers in the tv? If your using a surround sound system you can either use an optical audio cable or the usual 3.5 mm audio cable. Might be better just getting a new TV to be honest, an HDTV will allows you to plug in an HMDI (takes care of image and sound) and also will give the best image possible for any High Def content on your laptop

Agree, Using VGA would be easiest/cheapest, I would of thought all laptops have a vga connection at the back (will have a small pic of a monitor) but your TV might not have, not sure on older TVs but you might be lucky, i've got VGA with audio in socket, so just need a monitor calbe and audio 3.5 cable.

Banned

grosvenorgambler;6363286

Thanks for that. I think I'll be ordering that. :thumbsup:

that kit is cheaper on ebay so you can save some money and you dont have to register to a site that you might not use again unless you already registered

i had a VGA cable, and my laptop and tv are both only a year or so old but never managed to get the picture on the tv. sound worked fine though

jonesytheblade;6363383

i had a VGA cable, and my laptop and tv are both only a year or so old … i had a VGA cable, and my laptop and tv are both only a year or so old but never managed to get the picture on the tv. sound worked fine though

If you look at you F-keys, F10 have a tv picture, connect the VGA to LT and TV, press Fun and F10 this will switch from the LT screen to the TV. If this does not work, start, setting, display, go advanced and you should see an option for a second monitor, select and voila.

ye its f3 on mine, tht dint work n neither did the advanced settings, spent ages trying various things. given up now lol, rep left for your efforts though, cheers mate

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for the help guys, rep added!!

Banned

jonesytheblade;6363383

i had a VGA cable, and my laptop and tv are both only a year or so old … i had a VGA cable, and my laptop and tv are both only a year or so old but never managed to get the picture on the tv. sound worked fine though

What OS do you use?

running vista on this mate

Banned

Sorry can't be much of a help there then, not running (or ever ran) Vista. Although from doing what your trying with a PC running XP it was a simple case of plugging in and away I went.

The only thing I can think of are the basic's like having the TV switched to the correct mode, labeled PC usually, and the cables in right. Sorry again.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691427
      2. One for the mathmaticians3150
      3. Bearded chat917
      4. What would be HELL to you?3459

See more discussions