Groups
    EXPIRED

Laptop under £500 w/Dedicated graphics

Can anyone recommend a decent laptop with dedicated graphics for under the £500 mark?

I've looked at the Esprimo V5545 here
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_Siemens_ESPRIMO_Mobile_V5545_VFY:EM7BV5545BJ6GB/version.asp

That seems ok but was hoping there would be something with Nvidia? I won't be gaming on it, but I'm a compter graphics student and will be doing a lot of 3D graphics rendering and video editing.

Thanks folks.

8 Comments

For decent graphics i would not dedicate a laptop at all. Desktops are always better for gaming. The laptops that are made for gaming cost loads! Here is an example,
    alienware.co.uk/pro…spx
    And they are the lowest spec ones. Just go for a desktop PC.

Hi,
    I don't claim to be an expert, but we bought our daughter a Fujitsu Siemens V5545 laptop for Christmas and am very disappointed in the performance of the battery life..approx 45mins of use on MSN, Bebo etc
    The laptop cost £400 at the time, so don't know if yours would be using the same battery??
    Regards
    Akastiggy

Original Poster

Unfortunately that isn't really an option as I need to have my work portable. The computers at Uni don't have the software I need. The ones in the labs are very limited on time available.

I'm not after something ground breaking, just something that will handle 3d graphics and cover me for the next year to 18 months.

Original Poster

akastiggy;1844431

Hi, I don't claim to be an expert, but we bought our daughter a Fujitsu … Hi, I don't claim to be an expert, but we bought our daughter a Fujitsu Siemens V5545 laptop for Christmas and am very disappointed in the performance of the battery life..approx 45mins of use on MSN, Bebo etcThe laptop cost £400 at the time, so don't know if yours would be using the same battery?? RegardsAkastiggy

45mins seems pretty terrible even at high usage. Could have been a defective battery? It is advertised as having around 2 hours, which is probably the norm for laptops today.

I'd like to avoid Acer if possible because the build quality of my Travelmate is pretty poor.

Typing 8400M into the search box on the site you linked brings up the ]Acer 7720G. It seems to be what you're looking for in terms of specs, although it is an Acer.

any chance of pushing your budget a little further?

because for £549 you can get a Dell XPS M1530 with 8400M GS.

configure.euro.dell.com/del…756

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;1844917

Typing 8400M into the search box on the site you linked brings up the … Typing 8400M into the search box on the site you linked brings up the ]Acer 7720G. It seems to be what you're looking for in terms of specs, although it is an Acer.

That's not bad for an Acer. But I've always felt 17" is probably a bit big for a laptop. I'm looking for a 15 if possible other than that, the spec on the above is perfect

Does anyone know what the build quality is like on these new Aspires compared to the Travelmate range?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One S or Xbox One X55
      2. Boxes for moving house?77
      3. Need help with home Internet dropping out please56
      4. Best Wi-Fi extender33

See more discussions