Groups

Laptop wireless internet help.

Hi I have just bought a laptop and want to be able to use it upstairs. We have a pc downstairs with Orange broadband that just as the typical little modem but I understand that to get onto the net on the laptop we need a router. What type of router are we looking for? Are they all the same? The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720.

Thanks

8 Comments

Original Poster

Orange bb through a modem, BT telephone line though if that's what you mean.

if you are over 12mths with orange broadband give them a ring and say you are thinking of going elsewhere ie talktalk as they are offering you a cheaper deal and free wireless router.
    bets are orange will have one at your door pretty quick.

Original Poster

Yes I believe it does as earlier it was actually connecting to the internet without us doing anything. Must have been picking up someone elses I am guessing??? Here is the laptop and specs direct.tesco.com/q/R…spx

amazon.co.uk/Net…8Z8 £45 from Amazon market place.

You can get cheaper routers but this is easy to set up and your network secure.
    connect pc to router
    open internet browser
    select web address 192.168.0.1/sta…htm
    enter teh default user and password to access netgear page
    add your internet access password and username
    change your network password
    password
    disconnect cable
    and there is is wireless connection

Original Poster

The orange bb is free because of the mobile phone contract I'm on.

Yes I beleive it has a wireless card as when we took it out of the box and installed vista it connected straight away without us doing anything?? Must have been picking up somebody elses signal I am guessing.

The specs are:
    [SIZE="1"]Audio Features Yes
    Battery Life 3 Hours
    Bluetooth No
    Box Contents Acer Aspire 5720 Notebook, Power Adapter, Power Cord, Battery pack, Warranty Registration
    Brand Acer
    Built-in Webcam No
    Card Reader Yes
    Features of Product Powerful Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 processor combined with 2048MB RAM for demanding multi tasking environments. Sizeable 160Gb Hard Disk Drive for ample media storage. Play and Record CD and DVD with the DVD super multi opitcal drive. With wireless capability, always stay connected via the internet. Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium offers a seamless and easy to use operating system
    Finger Print Reader No
    Firewire Yes
    Graphics Shared Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, up to 358MB Shared Graphics Memory
    Hard Drive Size 160GB
    Hard Drive Type SATA
    Laptop Colour Black
    Memory Features DDRII
    Memory Size 2GB
    Number of USB Ports 4x USB 2.0
    Operating System Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Optical Drive DVD Dual Layer Rewriter
    Optical Drive Bluray Compatible No
    Optical Drive HD Compatible No
    Optical Drive Lightscribe Compatible No
    Output ExpressCard™/54 slot, External display (VGA) port, Headphone/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support, Microphone-in jack, Line-in jack, Ethernet (RJ-45) port, Modem (RJ-11) port, DC-in jack for AC adapter, IEEE 1394 port, 5-in-1 card reader (SD™, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)
    Processor Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Bus 800MHz
    Processor Cache 4MB
    Processor Model Number T7500
    Processor Speed 2.2GHz
    Remote Control Included No
    Screen Size 15.4"
    Screen Type WXGA Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD
    Software Load Microsoft® Works 8.5 with Office Home and Student 2007 Trial, NTI CD-Maker™, Adobe® Reader®, Acer Empowering Technology, McAfee Internet Security Trial
    User Model Entertainment Yes
    Wired Networking Port Yes
    Wireless Built in Yes
    Wireless Feature Acer InviLink™ 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® solution, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology[/SIZE]

Ive tried a few and couldnt get them to work, but ive finally got a superb one which was easy enough to set up. Its a Netgear 54 mbps DG84G. After I had set it up with my pc and set the password my new notebook, bought just as it has a intregated wireless card. No need for a driver or anything it just found my router and asked for the pass word. Simple as that.

You don't need a wireless router to extend your wired network to WiFi, you only need a Wireless Access Point (WAP) which is cheaper and doesn't require you to replace your existing BB/ADSL modem.

luckylouisa;3273690

Yes I believe it does as earlier it was actually connecting to the … Yes I believe it does as earlier it was actually connecting to the internet without us doing anything. Must have been picking up someone elses I am guessing??? Here is the laptop and specs http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-6256.aspx

Are Acers still doing this? They connect to unsecured wireless networks automatically; this is highly dangerous and you should turn it off at once in the acer software's settings.

Network and internet connections are two-way, they have to be or you wouldn't be able to receive the web pages you requested from the internet. This means that if you connect to a network that network also connects to your computer and even if you trust your neighbours there's nothing to stop someone driving up, connecting to the same unsecured network and then connecting to your computer. (a good firewall will provide some protection, but network settings are generally set to allow much more than internet settings).

A wireless access point will only work if you've got a wired router currently, it won't work with a modem.

Orange provide a 'livebox' at the moment which is a wireless router but I don't know what they've provided in the past, does your 'little modem' have any name or model number on it that could be used to identify what it is exactly?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 41% of 40-60 year olds do not go for a brisk walk of >10 minutes A MONTH!1117
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …5042509
      3. word association Game72944199
      4. GCSE Results day911

See more discussions