Laptop with dedicated graphics card on a budget

Posted 18th Mar
Hi all,

I need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card so I can run two monitors off of it split screen (I know there are other ways to do this but would involve external graphics card and adaptors etc). I need this for working from home.

My employer will allow me to spend up to £500. What is the closest I can get to that price range? I could spend more but the laptop will remain company property and I'd have to pay the difference.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Easier to get an adaptor. It is hard to tell which laptop support 2 external monitor.
Cisco06060618/03/2020 11:23

Easier to get an adaptor. It is hard to tell which laptop support 2 …Easier to get an adaptor. It is hard to tell which laptop support 2 external monitor.

What would be the process for doing this? I thought all laptops with a dedicated graphics card would support two monitors?
Modern integrated graphics all support three monitors at once, dedicated GPUs support up to six.

The limiting factor is which outputs the laptop motherboard provides rather than which graphics chip it uses.

Assuming you don't need high resolution monitors (3440x1440 and above) then the most common option would be any laptop that supports DisplayPort as that has a feature called MST allowing multiple monitors to be driven from a single port via an MST Hub.

This includes Thunderbolt ports and USB Type C port supporting DisplayPort alternate mode.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 18th Mar
Lynx18/03/2020 11:53

What would be the process for doing this? I thought all laptops with a …What would be the process for doing this? I thought all laptops with a dedicated graphics card would support two monitors?

You need to check what port the laptop got one by one. Not all laptop with dedicated gpu have more than one video out or seller do not list it properly within technical spec.

After a bit of digging, MEDION ERAZER P6605 probably would do the job.
£580 e b u y e r . c o m

QuickFind: 947792 Mfr part code: 30027142

Edit: forgot to mention, I only come across one new laptop with dedicated & under £500. But it only have 1 HDMI
MEDION AKOYA P6645
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 18th Mar
I think you're looking at a laptop with a 1650gfx card as some have hdmi and displayport.

The cheaper laptops with a 1050 seem to only have 1 hdmi.

I'll start looking for a cheap 1650 laptop, but i reckon you'll need to add a bit of cash to it.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 18th Mar
EndlessWaves18/03/2020 12:32

Modern integrated graphics all support three monitors at once, dedicated …Modern integrated graphics all support three monitors at once, dedicated GPUs support up to six. The limiting factor is which outputs the laptop motherboard provides rather than which graphics chip it uses. Assuming you don't need high resolution monitors (3440x1440 and above) then the most common option would be any laptop that supports DisplayPort as that has a feature called MST allowing multiple monitors to be driven from a single port via an MST Hub. This includes Thunderbolt ports and USB Type C port supporting DisplayPort alternate mode.

Ok, this sounds promising. How do I check if my current laptop has MST? As it has a display port but unsure on MST. Currently I am running a display port to display port cable from the laptop to the monitor.

Would something like this be suitable if I have MST?

amazon.co.uk/Sta…h=1
Edited by: "Lynx" 18th Mar
That's the right sort of thing, it seems a little expensive but I suppose there's high demand at the moment.

MST was introduced with DisplayPort 1.2, circa 2012 so almost all DisplayPort outputs will support it. I believe it's a required feature for the DisplayPort badging so if it's got the official DP logo next to the port that'd be a good sign.

If you have a USB Type C port that supports DisplayPort alternate mode you can also get port extenders/docking stations that have MST support built in. Although you do have to be a bit careful there are some of them work as USB connected external graphics cards instead of using MST - which makes them a bit sluggish.

Some monitors have have MST support built in so you can use them as a daisy chain type setup, connecting a second monitor to the first and only the first to the computer.
Spend £500 on a laptop and a docking station.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 18th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants