EXPIRED

Laptop with fingerprint scanner and full keyboard

I need an additional laptop and work have no said that any laptops being used in the office have to be fitted with fingerprint security. I need one with a numeric keypad to the right, as much as I love this laptop I'm using now the lack of numeric keypad frustrates me beyond belief sometimes. I need good performance, I run lots of data heavy number crunching programmes. And sad as it sounds, I like to play the Sims

Any recommendations?

5 Comments

I don't have anmy specific recomendations for you as yet but I'll take a look. What I would say tho' is that if you need the numeric keypad built in, you'll need to go for a 17" laptop as anythign smaller doesn't have room for the keypad. The only other alternative is a USB numeric keypad that can sit at the side of any laptop and can be brought out or put away as required. Any thoughts on what you would prefer?

Original Poster

4leafed I appreciate your reply

I have a USB keypad for my laptop now but to be honest it's not ideal, it's not really as sensitive and responsive as one on a the keyboard would be, and when I'm entering shed loads of data I don't have the time to check and recheck that every digit has been entered, so I know I'll be looking at a brute of a laptop!!

Hey Tess, me again. I'd go for the Dell Vostro 1720. It's basically the same as the Inspiron 1720 that I got myself a year or so agao. It'll take up to 8GB RAM, can be bought with dedicated graphics card rather than integrated and it has a very nice screen. Obviously it has the numeric keypad as well. Make sure you buy it with as little RAM as possible to save costs and then go to Crucial and up it to the max from there. It'll save you a fortune. 4GB would be plenty. Prices start from £299 ex VAT and delivery and I don't think you'd be disappointed. Just to point out, as it is a 17" model, it's not the lightest laptop in the world so don't expect to carry it around everywhere. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

www1.euro.dell.com/uk/…dt1

tessb;5474107

I have a USB keypad for my laptop now but to be honest it's not ideal, … I have a USB keypad for my laptop now but to be honest it's not ideal, it's not really as sensitive and responsive as one on a the keyboard would be, and when I'm entering shed loads of data I don't have the time to check and recheck that every digit has been entered, so I know I'll be looking at a brute of a laptop!!

That's got nothing to do with it being external, if it's causing you to miss buttons then it's just a poor quality one. If you don't want a big laptop then a decent external numpad will be fine. I've never tried any so I can't recommend one but something from the likes of cherry or other business peripheral company should be fine.

Original Poster

I've built a lovely machine on Dell for only £579 thanks for the idea!!

I'm in America in a few weeks and I really can't decide if to get one there or get the Dell one here.

Thanks for the feedback about the numeric keypad, but I really need an extra laptop as I need one I can leave running analyses for a few days at a time and one I cna use while the other one is working
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone been to Nerja, Spain on holiday?46
    2. anyone use this site before? http://www.ukgroupdeals.com56
    3. Any plumbers DIY'rs? basin waste problem56
    4. Sportsmania.eu down. Any alternatives?2238

See more discussions