Laptop within warranty. Asda doesn't want to exchange or refund it. (I have the receipt)

Found 17th Feb 2012
Hi everyone. I have a problem and hope that someone can help me. I purchased a laptop last year on 2 March. The laptop that I have doesn't read sometimes cdroms. For example I purchased the dsa 2012 theory and it is not working. But it does work on other computer and laptops which I have tried. When I went their they first asked me the box. Which I threw away. When the manager came he put in a dvd and goes to me it is working therefor it can not be exchanged or returned. I showed him the DSA DVD rom. He goes but the dvd worked and we will not return it. He goes to me try another Asda. I went to another Asda. And they go to me that I need to bring the box and a manual. The laptop that I bought didn't contain any manual. It only contained one sheet with the contents. It was a Display model, What I would like to know what are my right of getting a refund when an item is faulty but the retailer does not want to exchange or refund anything.I also have the proof of puchase. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Community Updates
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
26 Comments
Have you a receipt?
Did you pay via a VISA debit card ? A credit card ? or cash ?
Original Poster
dougle34

Have you a receipt?

Hi Dougle. Yes I do have the receipt
Original Poster
dontasciime

Did you pay via a VISA debit card ? A credit card ? or cash ?

I paid by a Debit card
Was it a VISA debit card though ?
Original Poster
dontasciime

Was it a VISA debit card though ?

Yes it was a Visa Debit Card. By Barclays.
Don't bother with in-store staff, call customer services on 0800 952 0101.
Original Poster

Let me try to give them a call and see what they say.

SUMMONER

Don't bother with in-store staff, call customer services on 0800 952 0101 … Don't bother with in-store staff, call customer services on 0800 952 0101 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            0800 952 0101      end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

Are you for real? Do you seriously think a retailer would give you a refund on a system you bought from them because some random bit of software doesn't work on it?
it'll probs go get repaired rather than a replacement on the spot as it seems to be an intermittent thing.
theres not many retailers that WILL replace a laptop after 28 days, it'll usually go to the manufacturer or repair lab to see if its a software or hardware issue and the laptop hasn't been mistreated or damaged.
they're within their rights to do that.
Normally you wouldn't get an exchange / refund after nearly a year, but you should get a repair at least.

However, they may well want you to restore the laptop to factory settings to make sure it's not a software problem, though.
it sounds like a typical laptop dvd driver temperamental lol have a look to see if any marks are on the disc... you'll find that most the time more problems will occur on laptop dvd/cd drivers than desktop computers if you say they wouldn't refund or exchange as they tested a dvd on the laptop and played perfectly fine then im guessing it all comes down to maybe a silly mark on the disc its gunna cost ya but if theres a mark on the disk or two before sending the laptop off somewhere or trying to sell it on take the disc that your having a problem with to somewhere like grainger games and pay £1.50 for them to clean it as this can remove any scratches and may be a fast and cheap fix to the problem your having instead of sending it away getting it wiped to factory settings and all that
Original Poster

Hi DXX, I wouldn't mind getting it fixed or replaced. I am not fussy. Like i said that it is not only 1 cdrom, dvd rom & dvd's it is multiple. It also reboots sometimes randomly. Why would I want a refund for a £197 laptop. I will loose out as I will then need to buy a more expensive laptop. Which I don't need at all. Dxx If you would have a faulty laptop. Wouldn't you want it to get exhanged. And what would you do if the model has been discontinued. Would you say ok no problem. Or would you then ask for a refund. I am pretty sure that you would go for a refund as you are within the first year. I have the emachines e442. Which has been discontinued

dxx

Are you for real? Do you seriously think a retailer would give you a … Are you for real? Do you seriously think a retailer would give you a refund on a system you bought from them because some random bit of software doesn't work on it?

Original Poster

Hi Muckilla, the last DVD rom which I tried and didn't work is a brand new sealed copy of DSA 2012 dvd rom. I took it out of the seal my self. When I took it to work the dvd rom worked at my workplace.

muckilla

it sounds like a typical laptop dvd driver temperamental lol have a look … it sounds like a typical laptop dvd driver temperamental lol have a look to see if any marks are on the disc... you'll find that most the time more problems will occur on laptop dvd/cd drivers than desktop computers if you say they wouldn't refund or exchange as they tested a dvd on the laptop and played perfectly fine then im guessing it all comes down to maybe a silly mark on the disc its gunna cost ya but if theres a mark on the disk or two before sending the laptop off somewhere or trying to sell it on take the disc that your having a problem with to somewhere like grainger games and pay £1.50 for them to clean it as this can remove any scratches and may be a fast and cheap fix to the problem your having instead of sending it away getting it wiped to factory settings and all that

Not answering your question but have you tried downloading some codecs/drivers to get the DVD ROM to work. Is it the correct DVD ROM for the drive? Do you have the right version of Windows etc? The fact that other DVDs work shows that the laptop does work it is just not playing some types of DVD. Cheap laptops do that.
Original Poster

Hi Faberge. I have Windows 7 2 GB internal memory. I have tried downloading different things without succes. I have a reboot issue as well. I have AVG anti virus. Which is very good.

Faberge

Not answering your question but have you tried downloading some … Not answering your question but have you tried downloading some codecs/drivers to get the DVD ROM to work. Is it the correct DVD ROM for the drive? Do you have the right version of Windows etc? The fact that other DVDs work shows that the laptop does work it is just not playing some types of DVD. Cheap laptops do that.

Clean lens with a lint free cloth like those found in spectacle cases with a little isopropyl alcohol.

Banned
hi hun, i brought a laptop from them too a packard bell 15.6" the fan went on it, i gave it packard to fix and they sent it back saying it was fixed but then i had a call saying how was it doing i said it feels a bit weird kind of thing, then they came out and said they didnt fix it, i was so cross but they wuldnt take my word, any way i rang asda instore and they said its our POLICY to take it back with in 1 Year, i thought too right!! so money back now got samsung laptop from argos with 3 year break down cover, so if you have reciept go in again try speaking to manager every thing will go smooth alto i didnt have to speak to 1, got my money back straight away
Banned
ok then say the fan is not working, but yes they did ask for box as i did plus im sure they didnt give me a manual too so do try again mate
What laptop is it? Make/Model

If you really want to make it returnable, remove ram and replace it incorrectly, with half of it sticking out, laptop will not boot. Simples.
slackrat77

it'll probs go get repaired rather than a replacement on the spot as it … it'll probs go get repaired rather than a replacement on the spot as it seems to be an intermittent thing.theres not many retailers that WILL replace a laptop after 28 days, it'll usually go to the manufacturer or repair lab to see if its a software or hardware issue and the laptop hasn't been mistreated or damaged.they're within their rights to do that.

I got my money ( £1902) back on a faulty Alienware/Clevo Machine after 3 years from AJP computers( at Staples corner) . At the time it involved invoking section 75 of the credit card act but I got my money back. And I only took out a credit card ( on my brothers advice regarding such a large outlay for the purchase) and was glad I did. Up till then i was averse to buying anything on credit having had a bad experience with Lloyds as a student , preferring to pay for stuff in full with cash
Original Poster

Hi Sofia. I will try to go again today for a 4th time. Went yesterday 3 times. 1st Asda 1. Then they reffered me to go to Asda 2. Asda 2 wouldn't accept it without manual. Then I called the number that 'Summoner' gave me. They provided me with a refference number. When I went back. Sorry come back tomorrow. We can't help you today as the office is closed which gave you the refference number.

sofiasar

ok then say the fan is not working, but yes they did ask for box as i did … ok then say the fan is not working, but yes they did ask for box as i did plus im sure they didnt give me a manual too so do try again mate

Original Poster

Hi Aircanman. The Laptop that I have is the Emachines E442. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emachines-Processor-DVD-Super-Wireless-Windows/dp/B004OYT8BU
I am not that technical :-). To open a laptop and move something around.

aircanman

What laptop is it? Make/Model If you really want to make it returnable, … What laptop is it? Make/Model If you really want to make it returnable, remove ram and replace it incorrectly, with half of it sticking out, laptop will not boot. Simples.

Banned
Dark_Slayer

Hi Faberge. I have Windows 7 2 GB internal memory. I have tried … Hi Faberge. I have Windows 7 2 GB internal memory. I have tried downloading different things without succes. I have a reboot issue as well. I have AVG anti virus. Which is very good.

Thats a big mistake. AVG is useless these days hence you probably have a virus causing the boot issue and maybe even the dvd issue.

you need to stop top posting too as its making mutli-replies in this thread confusing.
Banned
aircanman

What laptop is it? Make/Model If you really want to make it returnable, … What laptop is it? Make/Model If you really want to make it returnable, remove ram and replace it incorrectly, with half of it sticking out, laptop will not boot. Simples.

and then he'll be without a laptop for a few weeks whilst they repair it and will probably come back with just the ram fixed.
step 1
ebay laptop model followed by "dvd drive"
step 2 remove old dvd drive and insert the used dvd drive (one screw on base of laptop then eject drive and pull it out.
within 5 mins you are good to go ( a 10 year old can do it)

will cost like £20 max. Common problem with lazers being weak on dvd drives.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants