Laptop/Chromebook advice needed

Posted 20th Nov
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can please help. My 15 and 12y/o's need a laptop/similar for studying. They currently each have 2year old HP Streams - and they are useless according to them as they "are very slow".
Can someone please recommend a decent enough device for them to run MS word and excel on aswell as the usual internet searching, emails and youtube watching.

I've looked through loads on here and elsewhere and gotten so confused as I am a total technophobe when it comes to things like this!

Budget £250-300

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
If it it just for office/school work just look for a laptop with ssd storage. Most laptops around that price will be plenty fast for school work. But won’t be able to Handel any games....
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 20th Nov
if you don't mind buying refurbished then go to
morgancomputers.co.uk/

just make sure your kids arn't kidding you on when they say they are too slow - - those HP streams can be slow with games but should be ok for homework. oh and your wifi is running ok is it?
"For studying" even the most basic Stream will be more than adequate. Can likely improve the experience of browsing via installation of an adblocker: "Ublock Origin" (two words) is available for most browsers. And maybe consider uninstalling all those other come-in-handy browser extensions that are not come-in-handy, plus removing unused / unhelpful apps.
I would buy this personally. hotukdeals.com/dea…017 offer ends today.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th Nov
tardytortoise20/11/2019 07:45

if you don't mind buying refurbished then go to …if you don't mind buying refurbished then go to https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/just make sure your kids arn't kidding you on when they say they are too slow - - those HP streams can be slow with games but should be ok for homework. oh and your wifi is running ok is it?

This is exactly what I was thinking, tardytortoise. When children say something is "rubbish" it's usually because it won't do what 'they' want it to do - not what it is supposed to do. I can never accept when someone says a computer is "slow" as there is usually a reason - i.e. it is bogged down by lack of storage space, malware or too many 'intensive' programs running. A spring clean (and maybe an SSD upgrade!) and they are back to flying again.

Of course @LeeBurns , if you just wish to treat them to something new then that's fine too. I just don't feel a 2yr old computer is that bad though...
In the case of my wife and daughter, they both install various things that start up on boot - then wonder why the performance is bad. For example, spotify, steam, etc.

I do tell them how to disable it, but they know best.
Edited by: "alg" 20th Nov
Phsycronix20/11/2019 11:53

This is exactly what I was thinking, tardytortoise. When children say …This is exactly what I was thinking, tardytortoise. When children say something is "rubbish" it's usually because it won't do what 'they' want it to do - not what it is supposed to do. I can never accept when someone says a computer is "slow" as there is usually a reason - i.e. it is bogged down by lack of storage space, malware or too many 'intensive' programs running. A spring clean (and maybe an SSD upgrade!) and they are back to flying again.Of course @LeeBurns , if you just wish to treat them to something new then that's fine too. I just don't feel a 2yr old computer is that bad though...

Or maybe not buy a 2GB/32GB Intel Celeron Windows laptop in the first place?
RiverDragon820/11/2019 12:21

Or maybe not buy a 2GB/32GB Intel Celeron Windows laptop in the first …Or maybe not buy a 2GB/32GB Intel Celeron Windows laptop in the first place?

Fair comment; yes; but I still maintain: Nobody builds a "slow" computer from the outset. It's what you DO to it that makes it become slow. It would be analogous to Ford making a car that does 10 mph. There would be no point.

These things are not built for "intensive" computing. However, they should be more than adequate for general 'day-to-day' needs. I would therefore assume that they are being used beyond their capability and so are deemed "slow" or "rubbish."
Phsycronix20/11/2019 12:29

Fair comment; yes; but I still maintain: Nobody builds a "slow" computer …Fair comment; yes; but I still maintain: Nobody builds a "slow" computer from the outset. It's what you DO to it that makes it become slow. It would be analogous to Ford making a car that does 10 mph. There would be no point.These things are not built for "intensive" computing. However, they should be more than adequate for general 'day-to-day' needs. I would therefore assume that they are being used beyond their capability and so are deemed "slow" or "rubbish."

''Nobody builds a "slow" computer from the outset'' That's exactly what manufacturers do.
RiverDragon820/11/2019 12:33

''Nobody builds a "slow" computer from the outset'' That's exactly what …''Nobody builds a "slow" computer from the outset'' That's exactly what manufacturers do.

Ok.
Do you know what is the specification of your existing laptop?
You may be able to upgrade with yourself.
AsusVivobook F412DA-EK080T AMD Ryzen 3 R3-3200 4GB RAM 128GB SSD 14in Full HD Laptop - Grey

This would another one to consider if you want something cheaper
Thank you everyone, much appreciated!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants