Laptop/Chromebook newbie advice

Posted 25th Oct
ok, should be getting £150 loyalty voucher at work soon so looking at buying a laptop/Chromebook for my Mrs to help her with her TA training. I got no idea if she needs a laptop or if a Chromebook will do the job. she has to submit documents in word or Excel format so would that mean I need a Windows system or will a Chromebook work too?

any suggestions on a decent spec'd unit around £150-£200 would be appreciated as not sure what's good or not anymore.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Try chrome docs now by logging in to google with chrome browser on your PC order or other device. See if you like it
Edited by: "wayners" 25th Oct
wayners25/10/2019 18:55

Try chrome docs now by logging in to google with chrome browser on your PC …Try chrome docs now by logging in to google with chrome browser on your PC order or other device. See if you like it

I use docs and sheets on my android one mobile. If I get her a Chromebook can she send a document to her supervisor who uses a Windows laptop? Do I have to convert file type so it works on word and Excel?
Yes..if you open a document on phone. 3 little dots top right. Share . Send a copy.. You will see doc format...I always send as pdf though as can be viewed on any device and looks good. Document format can be edited and look squashed on some screens like phones but you said that's the format you want
Edited by: "wayners" 25th Oct
Thank you. On other deals people seem to recommend Chromebook with my budget. Can you recommend any specs to look out for?

SSD is that the hard drive I should get?
scfcmd25/10/2019 19:33

Thank you. On other deals people seem to recommend Chromebook with my …Thank you. On other deals people seem to recommend Chromebook with my budget. Can you recommend any specs to look out for?SSD is that the hard drive I should get?

All Chromebooks have solid state storage, it’s not strictly speaking SSD but close enough.

I’ve used a Chromebook for 3 years now, there’s very little I can’t personally achieve on a Chronebook that I can on a Windows laptop ie in relation to the day to day tasks that you describe.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 25th Oct
Thanks Joey, learnt that all Chromebook has SSD so that makes that easier.
Am I looking at 4GB+ RAM?
What processors decent for chromebook?
Anything else I should look out for? Chromebooks weren't out last time I brought a computer, completely new to me.
scfcmd25/10/2019 21:02

Thanks Joey, learnt that all Chromebook has SSD so that makes that …Thanks Joey, learnt that all Chromebook has SSD so that makes that easier.Am I looking at 4GB+ RAM?What processors decent for chromebook?Anything else I should look out for? Chromebooks weren't out last time I brought a computer, completely new to me.

I tend to upgrade my Chromebooks each year, but in reality they are much of a muchness. I currently use HP Chromebook but I’ve also used Lenovo models. I can’t fault any of them, a lot however come with 2GB RAM (perfectly fine for most tasks) but I’d try and stick with 4GB if you are likely to be doing any streaming, from experience.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 26th Oct
scfcmd25/10/2019 21:02

Thanks Joey, learnt that all Chromebook has SSD so that makes that …Thanks Joey, learnt that all Chromebook has SSD so that makes that easier.Am I looking at 4GB+ RAM?What processors decent for chromebook?Anything else I should look out for? Chromebooks weren't out last time I brought a computer, completely new to me.

By the way they are marketed as using SSDs but the Chromebooks largely use eMMC storage. Technically speaking not solid state drives, but neither have moving parts etc so work on the same principles. eMMCs are slower by design, but it’s nothing to be concerned with if you’re looking at a Chromebook.
Chromebooks are brilliant once you get your head around living in the cloud. I ditched windows about 5 years ago and the only thing I have not been able to do was update my sat nav. Make full use of the free storage on Google Drive and Photos and SSD size isn't an issue. Most Chromebooks have 4GB of RAM which is adequate, some older models may have 2GB and I would avoid them.
Living in the cloud? Free storage on Google drive??? I notice lots of Chromebooks have very small memory 16/32/64/128GB when I last brought a computer with 500GB I thought that was low. Is this where cloud/Google drive comes into play with smaller storage? So does it mean files not saved on your memory but some other place?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants