Expired

Laptops

Found 25th Nov 2014
Might be needing a laptop soon which of these in my local Cex is the best value for money,better still is there something as good new preferably from Amazon also any
17" at this price range to consider.Thanks in advance.

Toshiba C855D(15")
6GB Ram
750GB
£285

Toshiba LSO i5(15"0
8GB RAm
1TB
£425

Lenovo T410 i5-M520(14")
8GB RAM
320GB
£250

Lenovo G585-2181(15")
4GB RAM
1TB
£250

Acer One P253 i53230M(15")
4GB RAM
500GB
£295

Asus K55VD i3 2350M(15")
6GB RAM
500GB
£340

Dell N5110 i5 2410M(15")
4GB RAM
500GB
£310

Packard Bell TJ65(15")
4GB RAM
320GB
£260

Samsung RV511-A07 i3-380M(15")
3GB RAM
320GB
£260

Toshiba C55-AIRD(15")
4GB RAM
500GB
£285

HP15-N244SA i3-3217U(15")
4GB RAM
750GB
£305
Community Updates
AskLaptop
3 Comments
Ignore the i3 CPU laptops.
Ignore the size of HDD as you would be better replacing a HDD with a SSD these days.
Look for at least 2nd Gen CPU's & hopefully decent GPU.
Look at the benchmarks (google it)
I'll start by saying that most of those laptops have no useful information by which to assess them on and the ones that list the processors give little more info to help to gauge them by. You'll be very unlikely to find people willing to google each model number (assuming they are all correctly typed by you and also by the people that staff CEX) to see the actual spec. Furthermore most machines after a search will list a range of specifications so will make it impossible to work out what specifications the one CEX have in stock is.

Then there's the term best value for money. Value for money to do what exactly? Your requirements probably are very different to mine and then again also everyone else's. What is 'best value' in your eyes for it to be able to do, give us a list of tasks it will be required to perform and people can easily make suggestions.

After that, there's the budget. You seem to have listed everything from £250 - £425, That's a very wide range of things to work towards, by that I mean that some of those machines are overpriced and can be had cheaper elsewhere among other things. Do you want a 17inch laptop? If so why compromise what you are after and get the main feature you are looking for.

What features are you actually looking for and what can you sacrifice to get your requirements? Big hard drive? Fast processor? Good to play X game/games on (remembering that this price range many top tier games wont be very playable)? Full HD screen? Battery life?

If you want help picking what to buy you will need to put some work in yourself with this post and provide details of the actual specifications for the machines you're looking at. Alternatively you could post a budget, a list of things you need it to have, and a list of things you'd like it to have but can live without and people will likely post up some suggestions. However, generally outside of the short lived bargains the heat rating of a machine on HUKD when it's posted is a good indicator of what's good and what isn't

hotukdeals.com/sea…top

As DCX has said, these days the difference between some i3, i5 and i7 models is variable and sometimes you can get more modern i7's that perform similarly to upper end i3 processors of previous generations.

The most important thing to really look at is how it performs in benchmarks as some processors are quite a lot slower than others. The best resource I find to use is.

notebookcheck.net/Mob…tml

You can click on any processor to read more about it and specific break downs for performance. I find the option to use CTRL+F and search for the processors by name an easy way to see how one processor compares to another. A final point about this I'll add is that processors at a similar level in the chart in some tasks will perform to a similar level. So no 100 and no 90 in the list may actually perform within points of each other in the benchmarking tests and then in some tasks lower ranked processors will out perform higher ranking ones as this is not an exact science, some of these benchmark tools result in 5 figures so it can be a case of 10999 and 11000 being the difference between two processors and then this is aggregated with other scores to get a final positioning in that chart.

Notebookcheck also has a good range of professional reviews for many laptops so worth looking there for specifics.

notebookreview.com/
I also find this site very useful, lots of professional reviews, the forums have plenty of discussions of most laptop model ranges so you can get an idea what is best.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants