Laptops again - advice please

Posted 13th AprEdited by:"carlsaunders1"
Hi all,

Sorry have been going back through deal and discussions, just wanted some advice really.

I have an old i3 acer asper which is just about hanging in there. I think I have had it for around 7 years so not but it's time to upgrade I have probably up to £600 to spend on replacing although wold prefer to get around £500 mark.

Key features for me are
Usb-C port with charging functionality. I have a home office with a dell doc for work and want to hook my personal laptop up to it.

I want it fast to boot up so assuming this is ssd hard drive?

I5 or higher processor (or AMD version)
Size I'm not that fussed either 14 or 15 inch I have a duel monitor set up so it's not an issue

Weight, not too fused as mainly just for moving around the house

So my thoughts are

This

Acer
But not sure I need the touch screen

Dell outlet i7 like this

dell
(Annoyingly I missed a scratch and dent one of these for £420 + vat this am)

Or I popped to currys and really liked the look and design of this ideal but feel the are better deals out there

lenovo

Would really appreciate and expriances or recomendations

I don't game but will used for usually home stuff like photo editing, banking downloading, steaming

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Just put ssd drive in and load windows back on.. Won't cost much.. Its slowing because of drive corruption.
Edited by: "wayners" 13th Apr
wayners4 m ago

Just put ssd drive in and load windows back on.. Won't cost much.. Its …Just put ssd drive in and load windows back on.. Won't cost much.. Its slowing because of drive corruption.

This - plus memory upgrade
Yeah.. Maybe. Some really good hardware around that still stands up that goes in landfill when there is very little wrong with it other than vents need blowing out or new £40 drive
An i5 is really overkill for what you have listed you need it for, a recent i3, 8GB+ ram and as you say an SSD will be perfect, you won't get any real benefit by going for an i5 or i7.

But as said above there is no such thing as a computer "just hanging in there", it's not a person, if you reinstall Windows it will be exactly the same machine as when you first bought it, they don't get old and decrepid like we do. Install an SSD and if it has 4GB ram or less upgrade to 8GB and it will be very good. Things haven't got more demanding for laptops in the last 7 years so if it was decent back then it still will be.

Edit: also those laptops you have listed have the U variant of Intel Processors which if you don't need the battery lasting ages and ages a normal i3 may be better than an i5/i7U for overall speed.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 13th Apr
Thanks for all the comments.

This is what I mean by hanging in there.

Sometimes when it boots up , it doesn’t. It hangs on a black screen. I have to unplug and detach the battery. Try again, trying to get it into bios so that I can save and exit, which seems to get it to run through to windows. Then it takes about 5 mins to be stable enough to load anything like ie etc.

When it boots up, the time and date is always out of sync I have to go in, uncheck auto time and recheck it to get it back to the correct time.

Battery lasts about 15 minutes. ( not a huge issues as usually it’s used around to house)

DVD drive sometimes works after boot up. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Two USB ports don’t seem to work (using usb sticks or itunes / connecting phones )

The processor is a i3-380M and has 4gb ddr3

Do you think a lot of these problems are caused by the HD being problematic? Because if it’s as simple as sticking an SSD in it and reloading windows I’d happily give that a go first? As I have a stand-alone 1tb HDD id use for main storage.

An recommendations one parts?

Ps. I can see windows 7 sticker with the activation code so would just be a case having a download of windows 7 i suppose. Last time I did a computer format and reboot was 20 years ago! Will check out some you tube vids.

Thanks for your help and any drive and memory recommendations

Carl!
''When it boots up, the time and date is always out of sync I have to go in, uncheck auto time and recheck it to get it back to the correct time''

First thing you need to do is replace the cmos battery. Take the cmos battery out, hold the on button for around 16 sec (v important), then put in your new cmos battery.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th Apr
RiverDragon84 m ago

''When it boots up, the time and date is always out of sync I have to go …''When it boots up, the time and date is always out of sync I have to go in, uncheck auto time and recheck it to get it back to the correct time''First thing you need to do is replace the cmos battery. Take the cmos battery out, hold the on button for around 16 sec (v important), then put in your new cmos battery.

Thanks. I had replaced the battery but didn’t do the hold button down! Will give it a go

Thanks.
You need to press and hold the on button to discharge your device if not even if you replace the cmos battery your problem will persist.
RiverDragon83 m ago

You need to press and hold the on button to discharge your device if not …You need to press and hold the on button to discharge your device if not even if you replace the cmos battery your problem will persist.

Thank you!
Create Windows 10 bootable USB drive.

Then put your new SSD in your laptop, and install Win10, you can use your Win7 key to activate Win10.
RiverDragon87 m ago

Create Windows 10 bootable USB drive.[Video] Then put your new SSD in …Create Windows 10 bootable USB drive.[Video] Then put your new SSD in your laptop, and install Win10, you can use your Win7 key to activate Win10.

Thank you.

I’ve just been YouTubing to see! All makes sense!

Will give this a go with a 128gb ssd!!

I currently have 2 x 2gb ddr3

37457360-ZNCJm.jpg
37457360-EWFKh.jpg

Would you be able to suggest some comparable 4gb ones on eBay etc (assuming I can only go to 8gb max? ).

Thanks, you’ve been super helpful! And I was reading some of your other comments on another thread which were a great help!
Buy 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Sodimm 204 pin RAM. Then once you upgrade, sell your 2x2GB RAM on eBay.
RiverDragon842 s ago

Buy 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Sodimm 204 pin RAM .

Thanks again. You’re a star!
Edited by: "carlsaunders1" 13th Apr
You got a Cex near you?
RiverDragon813/04/2019 14:36

You got a Cex near you?

I do yes. Just checked online to see what they have in stock. Only an30gb Ssd. But they have the DDR3’s in. Will grab a 256 ssd from Amazon for delivery tomorrow I think
carlsaunders113/04/2019 14:38

I do yes. Just checked online to see what they have in stock. Only an30gb …I do yes. Just checked online to see what they have in stock. Only an30gb Ssd. But they have the DDR3’s in. Will grab a 256 ssd from Amazon for delivery tomorrow I think

Buy 2 of these phones click, then unlock them for 99p click, then trade them in for vouchers at cex click. Then get your RAM from them in shop (if they've any), or online. Once you upgraded your RAM, sell your RAM on eBay.
RiverDragon818 m ago

Buy 2 of these phones click, then unlock them for 99p click, then trade …Buy 2 of these phones click, then unlock them for 99p click, then trade them in for vouchers at cex click. Then get your RAM from them in shop (if they've any), or online. Once you upgraded your RAM, sell your RAM on eBay.

Thank you, that’s super helpful! I really appreciate it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions