Large back garden over grown lawn to cut. Best low cost mower

Posted 29th Apr
Hi all,
Lady here and I can’t avoid it any longer. My large back garden with over grown lawn. Have been looking on here for the best low cost mower that best for large lawns. Why a mowers so expensive? I have had two flymo’s in the past which have failed on me but that may have been my fault trying to cut all of the grass at once and maybe it was to much for the motor????? So two questions pls .
1. Best low budget lawnmower for large garden
2. Best cutting technique for over grown lawn.
Thank you in advance
(I’m soooooo dreading the bugs and crawlers )
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

32 Comments
You & any low cost mower will probably struggle and end up killing the mower and possibly yourself.
Suggest you employ a legit gardener to get it managable and then keep on top of it. Although you might be able to buy a mower or three the price some gardeners charge.
Flynn.Jack30/04/2019 00:11

You & any low cost mower will probably struggle and end up killing the …You & any low cost mower will probably struggle and end up killing the mower and possibly yourself. Suggest you employ a legit gardener to get it managable and then keep on top of it. Although you might be able to buy a mower or three the price some gardeners charge.

Thank you
The quotes I have been getting are quite high. I may have cut the grass in stages with a mid range mower.
bargins4me30/04/2019 00:19

Thank you The quotes I have been getting are quite high. I may have cut …Thank you The quotes I have been getting are quite high. I may have cut the grass in stages with a mid range mower.

You wouldn't think mowing/strimming a lawn would be eye watering. Any volunteer groups or council schemes? Check on facebook for you area/town.
Flynn.Jack2 m ago

You wouldn't think mowing/strimming a lawn would be eye watering. Any …You wouldn't think mowing/strimming a lawn would be eye watering. Any volunteer groups or council schemes? Check on facebook for you area/town.

Thank you I will check that out. I truly under estimated the task of lawn mowing . It is truly exhausting work!!
If the grass is too long than any mower will struggle. Even at high setting it will fold the grass over rather than cutting. You will need a strimmer. Buy one from Argos & than return it. Lol. Once this is done buy a petrol mower. Electric mowers are really for small to medium lawn. If it has to be electric get the Bosch Rotak. Come in different sizes, go for bigger one.
If a mower won't hack it a strimmer certainly won't (you would need a petrol brushcutter). Amazon do petrol rotary mowers for about £150. Often on sale at DIY stores ,Wickes etc for about £130 . Wait till the grass is dry and do it a bit at a time initially on the highest setting. After the first cut it will be much easier
How large is your large lawn , because everything is subjective . Our friends with a large lawn have a ride on mower , they obviously don't come cheap , but since grass needs cutting every couple of weeks it makes sense in the long run .

Also how long is the grass , because again that makes a difference to what you need to get it back under control.
A cropped image of the lawn might give us some clues as to what your up against.
It sounds like you just need to bite the bullet and pay someone to do the main job of getting it manageable - the money you’ll spend buying the right tool should cover a days work for a professional. Once it’s nice and short you should then be able to look at getting the right mower to keep it trimmed.
I’m guessing it’s only really got out of control because you didn’t have a plan and didn’t want to waste money... the thing is though all that grass will just keep growing in the meantime. Make a plan now and stick to it then you’ll have a lovely lawn for summer!
Good luck 🏻
You should hire a petrol strimmer to cut the lawn down and then use a petrol mower if it’s a large lawn (get power assisted model), they will last a lot longer than cheap electric ones. Mountfield are generally pretty good as they have Honda engines.

Hire:
hss.com/hir…rol

Mower:
screwfix.com/p/m…22f
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 30th Apr
Bit of a 'head-scratcher', this one. Not sure why you're getting large quotes. A local "odd-job" gardener would be happy to do it and typical pricing is around £10-15 per hour. Just how big is your garden/lawn! Are we talking 1/2 acre paddock or something? Hours and hours of work? Mowing a lawn is not exhausting if you keep it in check.

As for getting a mower, why not check out your local Gumtree? All I see at the moment is mowers, mowers, mowers and all around £20-50. Yes, i understand that; secondhand; you need to know a good one from a cream-crackered one so if you are savvy, fine. If not, do you have a relative/friend who can go with you to view/demo? I got my father a petrol, self-propelled easy-start mower just recently (like new) for £30. He is over the moon with it. Bargains ARE out there.

If your lawn is so large then I would definitely recommend a self-propelled mower as it takes a lot of the effort away. Of course, you need to have enough knowledge to mix petrol, clean plugs, top up/change oil etc. If this is a step too far, electric mowing is the next step. Get a decent sized deck though - otherwise it'll take forever to cut! Get something with a proper "blade" and not the silly plastic bladed rotary type.

As others have stated, if it really is long (8"+ high) then you need to strim it really. A mower would be hard work indeed - not impossible though. Perhaps bite the bullet - get someone in to tackle it - then think about a mower to keep it maintained later.

Good luck & best regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix30/04/2019 10:20

Bit of a 'head-scratcher', this one. Not sure why you're getting large …Bit of a 'head-scratcher', this one. Not sure why you're getting large quotes. A local "odd-job" gardener would be happy to do it and typical pricing is around £10-15 per hour. Just how big is your garden/lawn! Are we talking 1/2 acre paddock or something? Hours and hours of work? Mowing a lawn is not exhausting if you keep it in check.As for getting a mower, why not check out your local Gumtree? All I see at the moment is mowers, mowers, mowers and all around £20-50. Yes, i understand that; secondhand; you need to know a good one from a cream-crackered one so if you are savvy, fine. If not, do you have a relative/friend who can go with you to view/demo? I got my father a petrol, self-propelled easy-start mower just recently (like new) for £30. He is over the moon with it. Bargains ARE out there.If your lawn is so large then I would definitely recommend a self-propelled mower as it takes a lot of the effort away. Of course, you need to have enough knowledge to mix petrol, clean plugs, top up/change oil etc. If this is a step too far, electric mowing is the next step. Get a decent sized deck though - otherwise it'll take forever to cut! Get something with a proper "blade" and not the silly plastic bladed rotary type.As others have stated, if it really is long (8"+ high) then you need to strim it really. A mower would be hard work indeed - not impossible though. Perhaps bite the bullet - get someone in to tackle it - then think about a mower to keep it maintained later.Good luck & best regards, Phsy.

Thank you all,
Going by these comments it seems that
I may invest in a brush cutter to use first then I will use a mower to maintain it . I thought that it will be better for me to get a brush cutter as it may be something that will always come in handy . I thought it will better to bite the bullet and do it myself to get my mind back into “regular” gardening again.
cmdr_elito30/04/2019 08:30

You should hire a petrol strimmer to cut the lawn down and then use a …You should hire a petrol strimmer to cut the lawn down and then use a petrol mower if it’s a large lawn (get power assisted model), they will last a lot longer than cheap electric ones. Mountfield are generally pretty good as they have Honda engines.Hire:https://www.hss.com/hire/p/brush-cutter-strimmer-petrolMower:https://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-sp185-45cm-125cc-self-propelled-rotary-petrol-lawn-mower/9722f

Thank you I have never thought of using a petrol one. Is there a difference between a strummer and a brush cutter?
bargins4me5 m ago

Thank you all,Going by these comments it seems thatI may invest in a brush …Thank you all,Going by these comments it seems thatI may invest in a brush cutter to use first then I will use a mower to maintain it . I thought that it will be better for me to get a brush cutter as it may be something that will always come in handy . I thought it will better to bite the bullet and do it myself to get my mind back into “regular” gardening again.

Don't forget - a brush-cutter and a strimmer are two different things...

So, what sort of quotes are you getting? Hourly rate or "job" based quotes? A guy I recommend to others from time to time charges £12p/h for gardening etc. so not extortionate money by any means.
rogparki30/04/2019 01:57

If a mower won't hack it a strimmer certainly won't (you would need a …If a mower won't hack it a strimmer certainly won't (you would need a petrol brushcutter). Amazon do petrol rotary mowers for about £150. Often on sale at DIY stores ,Wickes etc for about £130 . Wait till the grass is dry and do it a bit at a time initially on the highest setting. After the first cut it will be much easier

Thank you
I think I will invest in a brush cutter And take my time.
Knowing my luck I will be all prepared and all geared up and then it rains !!
bargins4me30/04/2019 10:40

Is there a difference between a strummer and a brush cutter?

A strimmer is best suited to light garden waste (grass/weeds etc.) and is plastic cord (line) based - whereas a brush-cutter usually has a steel 'blade' and is lethal! These are designed for heavy garden waste and literally rips it's way through like a saw.
bargins4me9 m ago

Thank you I have never thought of using a petrol one. Is there a …Thank you I have never thought of using a petrol one. Is there a difference between a strummer and a brush cutter?

Yes. The unit is essentially the same but one has wire on the end and one has a plastic or metal blade. By your description of the garden I assumed you may need to hire a brush cutter but if it’s not that bad then go for a strimmer.
I’d suggest hiring one as when you have got it to correct size you can mow it and won’t need the brush cutter.
Phsycronix5 m ago

A strimmer is best suited to light garden waste (grass/weeds etc.) and is …A strimmer is best suited to light garden waste (grass/weeds etc.) and is plastic cord (line) based - whereas a brush-cutter usually has a steel 'blade' and is lethal! These are designed for heavy garden waste and literally rips it's way through like a saw.

Yep
Brush cutter it is then
bargins4me9 m ago

Thank youI think I will invest in a brush cutter And take my time.Knowing …Thank youI think I will invest in a brush cutter And take my time.Knowing my luck I will be all prepared and all geared up and then it rains !!

I wish I knew more about your situation to better advise but I would think twice about a brush-cutter. It sounds like overkill from what you are describing. If you do go ahead though, for goodness sake invest in a pair of goggles at least as brush-cutters are not friendly by any means. I used to wear the gardening equivalent of a baker's "pinny" as you tend to end up green from head to toe! Hehe. Also, brush-cutters tend to be straight shaft design (and some have handlebars) and are back-breaking to hold for any length of time so invest in a harness/strap if it doesn't come with one. Trust me, you'll thank me later...
Other things you’ll need is an unleaded petrol can, mixing bottle, two stroke oil, garden gloves and some kitchen roll/old dishcloth.

If buying the mower you may need four stroke oil instead.

Screwfix is cheap.
Sounds like you need a strimmer to give it an initial cut, even if you have to buy one it won't be money wasted as they are very useful for edging a lawn. If you can't handle a petrol mower the best electric one is a Bosch Rotak 40 or 43 but if it's a very big lawn you'll need an extension lead and you'll have to take care not to go over the lead while cutting.
jaketheplumber30/04/2019 10:58

Sounds like you need a strimmer to give it an initial cut, even if you …Sounds like you need a strimmer to give it an initial cut, even if you have to buy one it won't be money wasted as they are very useful for edging a lawn. If you can't handle a petrol mower the best electric one is a Bosch Rotak 40 or 43 but if it's a very big lawn you'll need an extension lead and you'll have to take care not to go over the lead while cutting.

Owwwwww. Don't the latest Bosch Rotaks have the horrible chinese motor that burns out easily? I've seen a lot of grumbles about them. I would agree that the old models were superb little units though...
Hey lady I think you should look for a self propelled mower if you find mowing hard work this will make it much easier obviously it will cost a bit more but you will not find the task as difficult so might find it easier to be bothered to do it in the first place wouldn't worry about strimmers or brushcutters just set the maximum height on the mower and give it the once over before going over it again at the desired height.
you can get both electric and petrol self propelled mowers if your garden is particularly large then petrol is probably preferred so you don't have to worry about the cable and if you do decide on petrol you might want to look for an electric start mower rather than a pull cord type to make it more convenient to use.
and if its a large lawn then thats is probably why your flymo has been dying as they were designed for small gardens which is why they are light and compact but it also means they are not made with a high duty cycle.
Phsycronix2 h, 29 m ago

Owwwwww. Don't the latest Bosch Rotaks have the horrible chinese motor …Owwwwww. Don't the latest Bosch Rotaks have the horrible chinese motor that burns out easily? I've seen a lot of grumbles about them. I would agree that the old models were superb little units though...

I didn't know they had altered the motors, long time since I bought one. We live and learn.
Get a super cheap electric used ~20 quid - then get the blade sharpened .
Find a friend/neighbour who can sharpen the blade and just keep at your "lawn" but keep sharpening the blade.
New £39 at b&q so if it packs in - money back or replace.
Edited by: "zzzz" 30th Apr
I watched one of these in action the other day:

Probably a little out of budget at circa £4000 though.

Assuming it's mostly grasses and fleshy plants rather than lots of woody stuff I would just go for a good quality electric strimmer. It'll be lighter so you're more likely to use it in future for edging compared to a much heavier tool.
Hire a heavy duty petrol strimmer for the weekend, then buy a decent mower. The reason they are probably failing is that you’ve gone cheap or the mower isn’t up to the job, so get a bigger better one.
Depending on the height you could just get a self propelled mower.Start on the highest setting and reduce it after each cut.Might take two or three passes.Keep the collection box off for the first pass,then collect after that.If you've no need for a strimmer then it's just extra expense.All depends on the height.
I would certainly look to getting someone initially though if it's horrendous ,then keep it in check after that.
How much does a ride on mower cost too hire maybe that will be easiest option and still we don't know size of your garden is it like 100m by 50m or 500m by 500m.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions