Large Capcity MP3 Car Stereos

Found 6th Oct 2008
I can't seem to find one that'll allow me to take at least a large chunk of my mp3 collection if not all of it. Given that there are a few portable mp3 players out there with 60GB+ capacity surely there has to be a car stereo out there with similar storage.

I'd even be happy with a headunit capable of taking SDHC SD cards especially now that 16GB ones are so cheap but maybe I suck at searching cause I cannot find one.

I absolutely refuse to buy an iPod, hate the idea of a usb key sticking out of the dash and want a wire free dashboard. Any ideas

11 Comments

Original Poster

That's exactly what I'm looking for but the reviews are some 6 years old and the model has been discontinued.

I really am pretty surprised by how difficult it is to find something that meets my requirements, is there really so little demand for this?

wolf359;3134399

one of these?http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/car-audio/neo-car-jukebox-mp3/

when the mstation was first introduced in the uk, i was working for halfords. It was brand new technology and was an amazing piece of kit. I sold the 2nd unit in the uk, fitted to a tvr.
i got a mug for that. a blooming coffee mug that my manager broke. :x

lol i know the feeling mate.
in my first day in one job i "found" £10,000 worth of stock that the co had lost. i didn't even get a bloody mug. just a well done

Another option is to buy a car stereo that has a USB port at the back, run a USB lead from that to your glove box.

Then use a USB caddy for your HDD

You'll need to make sure that the drive can be powered by USB and the Stereo you get can read it

This] HDD is compatible with ]this stereo

And you don't need to buy a Caddy for that HDD

That Stereo is out of stock, ]this one isn't

Banned

RedIron;3134521

Another option is to buy a car stereo that has a USB port at the back, … Another option is to buy a car stereo that has a USB port at the back, run a USB lead from that to your glove box.Then use a USB caddy for your HDDYou'll need to make sure that the drive can be powered by USB and the Stereo you get can read it

Agreed

The Car DVD/CD/MP3/Radio I bought from ebuyer also has a USB port. I can confirm it powers up a hard drive, though never used it. (The hard drive was formatted NTFS and it needs FAT to work)

]Good deal as well! but now expired and out of stock unfortunately. But they have sold out before and got them back! (I bought mine last November!)

Original Poster

I'd considered the USB HDD option. I've even read that some 2.5" laptop ones can be powered by the USB socket but I've also read about problems with slow navigation and having to partition multiple small drives just so the headunit can read them. I suppose it differs from unit to unit but I'd be happy as long as I can easily select songs and playlists.

I'll probably be buying my first car on Wednesday and hoping to replace the tape player by the weekend, that's probably not gonna happen now. I was convinced there'd be some cheap Japanese brand out there but I'm absolutely astonished that no manufacturer has managed to put a HDD or just a SDHC SD Card reader, I'm probably gonna spend the next couple of hours e-mailing the big ones asking them how such a situation has occurred.

The temptation to have a go at installing a Car PC is growing everyday.

Quickblood;3135054

I'd considered the USB HDD option. I've even read that some 2.5" laptop … I'd considered the USB HDD option. I've even read that some 2.5" laptop ones can be powered by the USB socket but I've also read about problems with slow navigation and having to partition multiple small drives just so the headunit can read them. I suppose it differs from unit to unit but I'd be happy as long as I can easily select songs and playlists.I'll probably be buying my first car on Wednesday and hoping to replace the tape player by the weekend, that's probably not gonna happen now. I was convinced there'd be some cheap Japanese brand out there but I'm absolutely astonished that no manufacturer has managed to put a HDD or just a SDHC SD Card reader, I'm probably gonna spend the next couple of hours e-mailing the big ones asking them how such a situation has occurred.The temptation to have a go at installing a Car PC is growing everyday.

The main problem is space, they only have a little hole to go into and you would have to remove the whole stereo to connect it to that

On top of that it will probably need cooling aswell as I would imagine that it gets very hot inside a car stereo especially in the summer and that's without the added heat of a HDD running in a cramped space

I'm not too sure why they haven't gone for a card reader at a guess it would again be down to space but also that a car stereo is expected to last a fair bit of time whereas those cards could be outdated and hard to get in say 5 years time

I would say your best bet is a stereo with a rear USB port

Out of curiosity ..............why do you want to carry over 60Gig of mp3's around in your car .
Do you live in your car ??
I bought 2 indentical CD/mp3 with usb & SDslots from Lidl's a couple of years ago for £59.99 each . Came with remote controls too .I carry 4 SD cards around . More than enough music even for long runs .
I have a player in each of my motors .

Original Poster

ricko;3135135

Out of curiosity ..............why do you want to carry over 60Gig of … Out of curiosity ..............why do you want to carry over 60Gig of mp3's around in your car .Do you live in your car ?? I bought 2 indentical CD/mp3 with usb & SDslots from Lidl's a couple of years ago for £59.99 each . Came with remote controls too .I carry 4 SD cards around . More than enough music even for long runs .I have a player in each of my motors .

You can never have enough music imo and I simply demand choice, why should I be restricted to the music I wanted to listen that morning, esepcailly when there are people walking about with their entire collections in their pockets?

RedIron;3135097

The main problem is space, they only have a little hole to go into and … The main problem is space, they only have a little hole to go into and you would have to remove the whole stereo to connect it to thatOn top of that it will probably need cooling aswell as I would imagine that it gets very hot inside a car stereo especially in the summer and that's without the added heat of a HDD running in a cramped spaceI'm not too sure why they haven't gone for a card reader at a guess it would again be down to space but also that a car stereo is expected to last a fair bit of time whereas those cards could be outdated and hard to get in say 5 years timeI would say your best bet is a stereo with a rear USB port

Yeah I don't buy that as they already managed to put in Hard drives 5+ years ago with the Neo jukebox so why can't the manage it now especially with Solid State and laptop drives? Plus they've somehow managed to put in whole tft monitors with motors. I also can't see how a SD HC card reader is gonna add anymore space than an SD card reader I can only guess that there isn't much demand for these things.

I think the only 2 options that are acceptable to me (why am I so fussy :-D) are the USB drive or going for the full Car PC install.

It's never the cheap easy option for me :-(
Post a comment
@
    Text