Laser eye surgery

Found 12th Feb
Ive always wanted laser eye surgery and was wondering has anybody on here had it done and if so with who, how much and anything I should be aware of before doing it?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
9 Comments
I think the thing to bear in mind with any elective medical procedure, is that it can turn out to be less good than you hoped. Corrective eye surgery carries quite a few risks to balance the obvious benefits.
My wife thought very long and hard about having her very poor vision corrected and the advice from her excellent optician was that there were only half a dozen surgeons in the UK that he would risk his sight with. As it happened, my wifes sight was too poor to be considered for laser. In the end she had intraocular lens implants, which at the time was a very new procedure. She went from beer bottle lenses to reading a book unaided overnight. However, there is always a downside, which in her case is 'flaring' when she drives at night. Fortunately, on balance, she felt the benefits out weighed the costs by a huge margin. Best of luck.
I had it done and I don't regret it for a second it's an amazing feeling to wake up and actually see, even though I do still find myself reaching for my glasses out of habit

Mine cost just over £3000 with Optical Express, but this was a while ago and my eyes were really poor vision. You can get it much cheaper nowadays.

As with any surgery there is always a risk that something can go wrong. So you need to take that into account before you make a decision.
This is a thread where posters should state whether or not they have any interest other than as a customer. I invite all to do so.
I have no interest.

Two separate private high street opticians (who you may be thinking have a vested interest against it except that both arrange referrals where requested) advised me, with my eyesight that it isn't a once in a lifetime fix.

I dont have complex problems and I wear varifocals all day because my near/middle distance vision needs correcting. My long distance vision is pin sharp - better than 20:20. I can have a laser fix.

In the same way I will need new glasses periodically, so will I also suffer normal deterioration which may need further corrective work or glasses. I need new lenses every 2 - 3 years. Max gap is 6 to date in 30 years of specs. For me, the risk is nullified by that single fact. Presumably, not everyone is at risk of this. It's a question you have to very specifically ask.

Anyone will tell you your sight can be corrected. For me the question is; 'is that correction permanent?'

I also understand that eyes grow more brittle with age and laser surgery increases that process. This may or may not become a relevant factor. Laser is still relatively new.
Edited by: "ccnp" 12th Feb
I can’t remember the cost exactly but I had laser eye surgery done back in 2007 with optical express. I noticed my vision in one eye in particular started to change after I had my daughter in 2011 though which can happen during pregnancy anyway. I don’t regret getting it done as it worked and my vision was better than 20:20 afterwards. Now my left eye vision has deteriorated further but I recently had an eye test at Costco and they said I don’t require glasses. I have been left with very obvious floaters (which we all have naturally) and night vision isn’t as great/glare on lights but again I don’t regret it. I’m not sure how it’s done now but at the time they failed to mention the extra cost for using the laser to make the initial incision in the eye instead of doing it manually with a scalpel but as it was their fault they didn’t charge me the extra so always check to see what the full procedure entails if you are suitable. Unfortunately for me they messed up the depth of the incision in one of my eyes so they could only do one at the time and I had to wait a month for the eye to heal before going back to get it done correctly but this was just my experience and they wanted to make sure it was done correctly for the best results so couldn’t fault them there. You have to make sure you follow the after care advice, use the antibiotic drops when required and the Google’s when you go to sleep. I had to wear sunglasses after the procedure, can remember feeling really daft walking around outside with them on in the middle of February lol. Just remember it doesn’t work as well for everyone, there’s no guarantee how long it will last as your vision will still deteriorate afterwards if it’s going to. There is no harm going for a consultation though. There is a lot more providers of it now than when I had mine done so do research all the ones available where you live. Obviously the worse your vision is the higher the cost. The best thing for me was waking up in the morning and seeing everything clearly, it really was like seeing in HD. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I had my eyes corrected with LASIK approx 10 years ago and used to wear contact lenses. I'm shortsighted, I was -6.75 and had my eyes corrected, yes it has worn off a bit but 10 years later I can tell u, it was the best thing I've ever done. Some people do get 20/20 vision but not all. I had it done with Optimax. U won't look back once you've had it done!
I had really bad distance vision. I went with Optimax in Milton Keynes. Cost a little over £2000 for the then top of the range treatment. This was in 2013. It was a horrible procedure, you can smell your eyeball burning and i was terrified. I got told off for shaking so much but I really was scared. The feeling of pressure on the eyeballs was awful. However, I can honestly say that during and after, I not not feel one little bit of pain. They give you really good eye drops that numb it. I will never forget opening my eyes 5 minutes after and being able to see the writing on wall posters. Then on the way home, being able to read number plates on the M1. Ive never regretted it. Only trouble is, Im at an age where my close up visions going! I wish I had done it years earlier!
jude72194 m ago

I had really bad distance vision. I went with Optimax in Milton Keynes. …I had really bad distance vision. I went with Optimax in Milton Keynes. Cost a little over £2000 for the then top of the range treatment. This was in 2013. It was a horrible procedure, you can smell your eyeball burning and i was terrified. I got told off for shaking so much but I really was scared. The feeling of pressure on the eyeballs was awful. However, I can honestly say that during and after, I not not feel one little bit of pain. They give you really good eye drops that numb it. I will never forget opening my eyes 5 minutes after and being able to see the writing on wall posters. Then on the way home, being able to read number plates on the M1. Ive never regretted it. Only trouble is, Im at an age where my close up visions going! I wish I had done it years earlier!

I wasn’t brave enough to mention the awful burning flesh smell or the pressure on the eye balls Or the fact I was freaking out about having to go back for the second eye to be sorted as I knew what was coming (they had to hold my hand) Or that they made me go out the back way away from customers after the first time as I was so upset they messed up and was scared about going back that they didn’t want me to scare off anyone in the waiting room lol. I’d still do it again though
delboye3026 m ago

I had my eyes corrected with LASIK approx 10 years ago and used to wear …I had my eyes corrected with LASIK approx 10 years ago and used to wear contact lenses. I'm shortsighted, I was -6.75 and had my eyes corrected, yes it has worn off a bit but 10 years later I can tell u, it was the best thing I've ever done. Some people do get 20/20 vision but not all. I had it done with Optimax. U won't look back once you've had it done!

How much did it cost in total?
It cost me £2500 I paid in installments and cleared it within a year. I had to wear some temporary contact lenses for 3 days bcos it was due to type of procedure which they done.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions