Laser eye surgery advice

Posted 21st Feb
Hi all,

I'm thinking about having the procedure done. Can anyone recommend a company to use and how much did it cost you. I'm short sighted with a prescription of minus 2.5. Its difficult to know which company to use.

Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
As someone who’s had it done. I still have dry eye issues. Redness of eyes. And I’ve lost a fair bit of the sight I gained 12 years on. If I could go back in time I wouldn’t have bothered.

I’ve been to a few optometrists about eye issues and they all are anti laser surgery.
Edited by: "shreddies" 21st Feb
16 Comments
As someone who’s had it done. I still have dry eye issues. Redness of eyes. And I’ve lost a fair bit of the sight I gained 12 years on. If I could go back in time I wouldn’t have bothered.

I’ve been to a few optometrists about eye issues and they all are anti laser surgery.
As someone who has had it 11 years ago I get dry eyes once every other month which just means I put some drops on. And my vision is incredible. I used a company in Cambridge cannot for the life of me remember the name.
Highly recommended. Just look at reviews and the surgeons experience/qualification who perform the surgery.

Side note to other comment no sh*t opticians are anti eye surgery. Once you fix your eyes most people don’t go back to them and spend money. Haven’t been to an optician since. Majority of people with eye surgery preach positive results but it’s the same as every surgery it will always have some people who have not been 100% successful
Edited by: "lnh1991" 21st Feb
had it done 18 years ago by optimax in london i was short sighted i would have it done again no problem now i am just starting to need glasses for reading due to my age so may go back to see if i can have this sorted out
Edited by: "sandersons" 21st Feb
lnh199121/02/2020 19:38

As someone who has had it 11 years ago I get dry eyes once every other …As someone who has had it 11 years ago I get dry eyes once every other month which just means I put some drops on. And my vision is incredible. I used a company in Cambridge cannot for the life of me remember the name.Highly recommended. Just look at reviews and the surgeons experience/qualification who perform the surgery. Side note to other comment no sh*t opticians are anti eye surgery. Once you fix your eyes most people don’t go back to them and spend money. Haven’t been to an optician since. Majority of people with eye surgery preach positive results but it’s the same as every surgery it will always have some people who have not been 100% successful

I didn’t say opticians maybe your eye surgery is wearing off faster than you think.
Thanks for your comments. I've heard there are different types of procedures costing different amounts. Any rough idea of cost?
markpj77721/02/2020 20:08

Thanks for your comments. I've heard there are different types of …Thanks for your comments. I've heard there are different types of procedures costing different amounts. Any rough idea of cost?

I was about 2700
I had mine done 10 years ago. I had the more expensive option because I felt that was the best for me. I had one eye done for close up and one for distance. My vision for close up and distance is still as good as when it was done.
The only thing I suffered from was dry eyes. This was soon cured by punctual plugs in tear ducts which were then later cauterised.
I don’t regret it but I would advise an annual check up at opticians because they check your eye health as well.
markpj77721/02/2020 20:08

Thanks for your comments. I've heard there are different types of …Thanks for your comments. I've heard there are different types of procedures costing different amounts. Any rough idea of cost?

People often come on here asking ‘how much does laser eye surgery cost?’ but as you rightly point out, there are many different types of laser procedures available for the many eye conditions out there - no 2 treatment plans will be the same. I personally had YAG laser treatment for floaters brought on by a degenerative condition - at the time the floaters were frankly unbearable and I had to go private, the treatment does exist but the NHS won’t do it as it’s considered off use of the laser. Cost me £1500 per eye, had to have several visits as they can only fire the YAG into your eyes for like 5 to 10 mins max at a time. My eyesight is still not perfect, but it’s better.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 21st Feb
I had mine done by Optical Express over 10 years ago and have been very happy with the results. I was about -4.5 in one eye and -3.75 in the other before the surgery I think. Nowadays I’m about -0.5 in both eyes and I only ever wear glasses for driving.

I had the more expensive procedure as I wasn’t going to skimp when it came to something like that and I believe it came to about £3000. They used to have a scheme where you could refer someone by giving them a voucher and they would get a substantial discount but that ended a while back unfortunately.

They have a few branches including at Lakeside which is where I went.
Does the procedure hurt? Always wondered
201521/02/2020 22:13

Does the procedure hurt? Always wondered

As to be expected it’s not particularly pleasant but from what I remember it really wasn’t all that painful in the grand scheme of things. I was rather nervous which probably didn’t help anyway
Edited by: "James2505" 21st Feb
I would recommend lens replacement over laser surgery. It's much more affective. With laser surgery you may still need to use glasses for some things. Not with lense replacement. My mum has it done and she said it's the best thing she ever did. She used optical express.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 22nd Feb
MonkeyMan9022/02/2020 12:14

I would recommend lens replacement over laser surgery. It's much more …I would recommend lens replacement over laser surgery. It's much more affective. With laser surgery you may still need to use glasses for some things. Not with lense replacement. My mum has it done and she said it's the best thing she ever did. She used optical express.

Lens replacement is normally done to correct cataracts. However it can be used that for people who have too high a prescription to safely use laser corrections. While it is very effective, it removes the eyes ability to accommodate between near and far. For anyone under the age of 40-50 they instantly need reading glasses.

As for laser. There are multiple choices but each persons eyes are different. You have to consider side effects that may last forever. 2 main ones being dry eyes and poorer night vision due to light flaring.

Each treatment has differing healing times but can end up with similar results. Something that also impacts your options are whether you have astigmatism. They can use a contour map to get rid of it using computer guidance but it costs more.

My advice is seek multiple opinions, not forgetting to check with private hospitals. All are out to make a profit but they tend to be more patient focused than churning through the patients.
Oneday7722/02/2020 20:35

Lens replacement is normally done to correct cataracts. However it can be …Lens replacement is normally done to correct cataracts. However it can be used that for people who have too high a prescription to safely use laser corrections. While it is very effective, it removes the eyes ability to accommodate between near and far. For anyone under the age of 40-50 they instantly need reading glasses. As for laser. There are multiple choices but each persons eyes are different. You have to consider side effects that may last forever. 2 main ones being dry eyes and poorer night vision due to light flaring. Each treatment has differing healing times but can end up with similar results. Something that also impacts your options are whether you have astigmatism. They can use a contour map to get rid of it using computer guidance but it costs more. My advice is seek multiple opinions, not forgetting to check with private hospitals. All are out to make a profit but they tend to be more patient focused than churning through the patients.

My mum didn't have cataracts and was only 53 when she had it done. She was given the option either laser or replacement. They told her she could have either and her eye sight wasn't even that bad in the first place she was only a +2.25 or something
MonkeyMan9022/02/2020 20:39

My mum didn't have cataracts and was only 53 when she had it done. She was …My mum didn't have cataracts and was only 53 when she had it done. She was given the option either laser or replacement. They told her she could have either and her eye sight wasn't even that bad in the first place she was only a +2.25 or something

Your mum was already an age where she needed reading glasses. My wife has it done at 42 but her prescription was much higher.
While she needed glasses for everything anyway. It instantly removes all her ability at very short distances as the lens could no longer accommodate. Lens replacement for those it is suitable for but like everything else there is no on solution fits all.
She checked all her options, she’s an optician herself.
Oneday7722/02/2020 20:47

Your mum was already an age where she needed reading glasses. My wife has …Your mum was already an age where she needed reading glasses. My wife has it done at 42 but her prescription was much higher.While she needed glasses for everything anyway. It instantly removes all her ability at very short distances as the lens could no longer accommodate. Lens replacement for those it is suitable for but like everything else there is no on solution fits all. She checked all her options, she’s an optician herself.

Fair enough. Seems the better option if you're able to have it. Quite a bit more money I believe though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants