laser eye surgery question

Found 26th Nov 2017
Hi guys,

Been thinking for some time now about laser eye surgery. Instead of paying for three monthlies every time I need new ones.

My question is do places like high street opticians deliberately put you off? I've been told things like "can make you go blind" "what's the point? as when you get older if you develop catarax you'll have to have them removed " yet when I had a consult with opti max I was advised that it would make my eyes far better and a friend of mine who's had it done says he's so glad he did as his vision now is better than it was with glasses. has anyone else been given conflicting advice opticians vs lazy eye surgery people?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

"his vision now is better than it was with glasses"
You'd certainly hope so!
I'm also going to be looking into it in the next few months so interested also. Been wearing contacts for 11+ years and although they are good my eyes have always been dry and it can be a bit annoying at times, also all glasses make my head hurt if I do anything physical.

I had my eyes lasered 3 years ago. I asked my optician his advice before doing it, his advice was to do it while you are young, there are risks but they are rare. Just do your homework before you go ahead.

Everyones sight will deteriorate when you get older and you will likely need reading glasses from 60ish upwards whether you have surgery or not. But for now that gives me 25+ years of no glasses.

Personally I would say do it - but make sure you get a good surgeon, mine did a friends eyes also and has 30k+ surgery’s but I did need to delay 3 times to get this surgeon. You can tell the good / experienced ones simply by googling them, if they are experience they will have written medical papers etc. Newer surgeons you will find very hard to find any info on.

good luck

Original Poster

paul100523 m ago

I had my eyes lasered 3 years ago. I asked my optician his advice before …I had my eyes lasered 3 years ago. I asked my optician his advice before doing it, his advice was to do it while you are young, there are risks but they are rare. Just do your homework before you go ahead.Everyones sight will deteriorate when you get older and you will likely need reading glasses from 60ish upwards whether you have surgery or not. But for now that gives me 25+ years of no glasses. Personally I would say do it - but make sure you get a good surgeon, mine did a friends eyes also and has 30k+ surgery’s but I did need to delay 3 times to get this surgeon. You can tell the good / experienced ones simply by googling them, if they are experience they will have written medical papers etc. Newer surgeons you will find very hard to find any info on.good luck

Hey thanks for your reply. Never any second chances with your eyes so glad u held out. Did u have lasek or lazik? (Think they're the two i was told about)

I had LASIK, where they cut a flap then reshape the eye with lasers, then replace the flap.

it doesn’t hurt at all, but I got quite tense as I really don’t like surgery or hospitals etc, so got a headachce but that was 100% due to me being a worrier

my my surgery was booked for 10:00, I was out of the theatre by 10:15, slept for 3 hours and was then watching tv without glasses for 1st time in 15 years by 14:00.

if you can, pay the extra for the wavefront or whatever they call it where you are going.

i think most places now mainly do Lasik, lasek where they use an alcohol solution to move the top layer of your eye before laser it is meant to be more uncomfortable and takes longer to recover

How much does it cost and any advice on what company to go for?

Makes me feel sick just thinking about it. Lol

Original Poster

paul100550 m ago

I had LASIK, where they cut a flap then reshape the eye with lasers, then …I had LASIK, where they cut a flap then reshape the eye with lasers, then replace the flap.it doesn’t hurt at all, but I got quite tense as I really don’t like surgery or hospitals etc, so got a headachce but that was 100% due to me being a worrier my my surgery was booked for 10:00, I was out of the theatre by 10:15, slept for 3 hours and was then watching tv without glasses for 1st time in 15 years by 14:00.if you can, pay the extra for the wavefront or whatever they call it where you are going. i think most places now mainly do Lasik, lasek where they use an alcohol solution to move the top layer of your eye before laser it is meant to be more uncomfortable and takes longer to recover

Thanks Paul! That's outstanding that! Watching TV NOT EVEN FIVE hours later. Belt it felt odd but extremely satisfying at the same time. Did u have it done due to vanity? Only that's the main reason I want it done. The waterfront you mentioned? What was that to do with? Like what were the benefits?
Edited by: "machomansavage" 26th Nov 2017

It was an amazing feeling, yet you take it for granted so quickly once it’s done.

Mainly yes, i was getting fed up with glasses and the hassle when going out or playing sports etc. I tried contacts on and off but the air con in the office dried my eyes too much to really make it worthwhile.

So normal LASIK uses your prescription and lasers s your eyes a set amount across the cornea. With wavefront they also scan the eye for any thicker or thinner parts and adjust the layering accordingly. Think of it as either a standard average for everyone = normal LASIK or personalised to your eyes = wavefront.

I was fearing blindness but that's only a risk if you have extremely poor aftercare (including hygiene) then suffer an infection and don't get it treated

My brother in law had it done a few years back. £6000 and 18 months later, he was wearing glasses again.

chocci1 h, 39 m ago

My brother in law had it done a few years back. £6000 and 18 months later, …My brother in law had it done a few years back. £6000 and 18 months later, he was wearing glasses again.

I can second this. I was 22 years old, -3.75 in both eyes. Paid for the most expensive option at optical express and I was seeing in HD! Now 25, I am -0.75 in both eyes.. praying that it won’t get any worse!

For the time I’ve been able to see in HD, I’d happily do it all over again. To waken up and see the alarm clock and then look out the window and see everything 👌 what an amazing feeling, and that’s just the start of my day!
Edited by: "Gregorj" 27th Nov 2017

Is it normal to get one eye done and not the other? For some reason I am -2.5, -0.25. With the better eye improving over last 2 years and the other being stable (got this checked out and no issues apparently, but they couldn't tell me why).

Always wanted eye surgery but aware eyes need to be stable and mine haven't ever both been in the ten years I've needed to wear them :s

I had mine done 12 years ago when I was 30. My vision was almost -9 dioptres so I went to see a really good surgeon at the royal eye hospital in London. I have a genetic condition and one of the consequences of that is unusually large pupils so I couldn't have the standard LASIK procedure. I had LASEK which involves ablating the cornea and allowing it to grow back. I decided to get both done at once which meant I could see for an hour after surgery but once the cornea began to heal my vision went very blurry and took about 4 weeks to come back fully. I'm 42 now and getting the usual age related decline in vision but still don't (yet) need glasses. Despite the PIA of not being able to see properly for 4 weeks (and to be fair I could have got each eye done separately) it is still the best money I ever spent (£3K).

It was a very safe procedure then so things can only have improved. I would thoroughly recommend it. If you're concerned about age and how long you will benefit you could try to find a surgeon that will make you slightly long sighted in one eye to mitigate the effects of aging. My surgeon made one of my eyes +0.25 dioptres and it has worked a treat.

rollercoaster6326th Nov

How much does it cost and any advice on what company to go for?

I went to the royal eye hospital. It was more costly but the service was fantastic.

Original Poster

crank_girl39 m ago

I had mine done 12 years ago when I was 30. My vision was almost -9 …I had mine done 12 years ago when I was 30. My vision was almost -9 dioptres so I went to see a really good surgeon at the royal eye hospital in London. I have a genetic condition and one of the consequences of that is unusually large pupils so I couldn't have the standard LASIK procedure. I had LASEK which involves ablating the cornea and allowing it to grow back. I decided to get both done at once which meant I could see for an hour after surgery but once the cornea began to heal my vision went very blurry and took about 4 weeks to come back fully. I'm 42 now and getting the usual age related decline in vision but still don't (yet) need glasses. Despite the PIA of not being able to see properly for 4 weeks (and to be fair I could have got each eye done separately) it is still the best money I ever spent (£3K). It was a very safe procedure then so things can only have improved. I would thoroughly recommend it. If you're concerned about age and how long you will benefit you could try to find a surgeon that will make you slightly long sighted in one eye to mitigate the effects of aging. My surgeon made one of my eyes +0.25 dioptres and it has worked a treat.

My left eye is a lazy eye and never healed because watching the Simpsons was far too
Important so used to end up taking the patch off. So you're telling me that my left eye could go from as week as it is barely seeing anything to full HD ?

machomansavage3 m ago

My left eye is a lazy eye and never healed because watching the Simpsons …My left eye is a lazy eye and never healed because watching the Simpsons was far too Important so used to end up taking the patch off. So you're telling me that my left eye could go from as week as it is barely seeing anything to full HD ?

I'm not telling anyone anything other than it worked for me and it's a conversation worth having with a good eye surgeon. AFAIK laser eye surgery cannot correct a squint.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants