Groups

Lasik Surgery?

Has anyone done Lasik surgery here? Any reviews for Optical express please? and if you know Optical express negotiate lasik surgery cost?

Many Thanks

P.S. I am missing some HUKD deals so thinking about it.

20 Comments

Most operations go well, a few go very badly wrong, even from the top providers, so remember it isnt risk free.

Another thing they seem to forget to mention is, it only lasts so long. About 10-15 years and you may need it doing again.

Also interested as a glasses wearer. What sort of prices have you been looking at?

Better going on an eye surgery forum, never believe what a company says on theirs. I did consider it a few years back but after reading about some of the horror stories and some people being blind for life I gave up and stuck with glasses. Do not believe those that say you can have it done in lunch time and it doesnt affect you - everyone varies but no-one was back to normal in 2 hours.

My dad had it done and all went well. The price varies depending on your prescription so it is really difficult to compare prices until you have had the consultation. Note the "From" prices in the adverts. Dad's was about £1200/eye.

I had it done 15 years ago.
    cost me £1000. lay on a bed and looked at a red dot for 30 seconds whilst they sliced and lasered.
    painless and took less than 15 mins. my eyesight afterwards was foggy for a few hours then cleared and got better and better over a few days. never felt any pain.
    I was minus 6 in each eye. now still have 2020 vision.
    best money I have ever spent and I highly recommend it .

Guy I work with went with his wife to Harley St as he figured he would pay up to have a top surgeon do theirs. Both went wrong. They had blinding headaches for months, she couldn't bear to look at anything that projected red light. They both had several corrective operations. He is now glasses free, but says he wouldn't try it again knowing what he now knows; his wife is still wearing glasses, but at a slightly lower prescription than she was previously, but also says never again.

Maybe they were just unlucky, plus it was a few years ago. As another poster said, it's not risk free...seem to be more positive results than negatives; but it's your eyes!...if it goes horrible wrong your screwed! Which is why I still wear contacts and glasses. I would love to have it done, but won't take the risk.

Good luck if you go for it

I had mine done 10-12 years ago, had it done by Optimax, at the time I negotiated a price of £595 for both eyes as I had it done just after Christmas when they had lots of empty appointments available, this is obviously a silly cheap price compared to what it is now.
    The technology they had at the time was great, you just looked into 3 machines and it mapped your entire eye and knew exactly the defects, what they actually did in my case is make one of my eyes slightly short sighted, so as I got older and my eyes changed it would counteract the need for reading glasses.
    I booked a day off work but ended up having 4 days off as one eye was very swollen for a few days, and the pain was quite bad but bearable.
    I would recommend it without a doubt, I was paying over £100 for a pair off glasses every year or 2 and I haven't needed a pair since, also haven't had a (sight related) headache since, and I used to get them bad if I didn't wear my glasses.
    Hope it helps.

I had it done 3 years ago. Was worth every penny, about £2200. I was warned that it could make close up change and it did. Virtually immediately close up was blurred. It's got really bad since to the point I need readers but it's an age thing too. Chances are it would have gone anyway. Not having to wear glasses full time has been worth it for me. My husband had it done in his twenties, he is now 47 and his close up just starting to go. I used optimax in Milton Keynes. I tried optical express but I didn't like the intense pressure they put on me. Optimax were completely different. They did the consultancy, told me the price, risks etc, and left me to it to make mind up.

The advertise from £595 an eye . Guy I work with is the lowest prescription like -0.5 and he was quoted far more , so what qualifies for the lowest price ??

Had mine done in 2008 with optical express. No complaints.

The wife and myself had our eyes done 12 years ago just had to start wearing glasses again but thinking of going for it again was totally painless we had ours done in Thailand I was spending 300 quid on glasses that were still bottle tops after being made thinner the surgery cost 1300 but not having to wear glasses or lenses to see 10ft was worth every penny just research where your going reviews etc also get one done at a time even if a day apart

My Dad had it done 15+ years ago and apart from a week or two of them aching it was all good for over 10 years, still fine but needs reading glasses but that's probably an age thing now. I'll have it done at some point in the next few years I think.

A family friend recently had the new procedure where instead of trying to repair your lens they just remove it completely and put an artificial one in instead, isn't susceptible to aging either. I'm not sure on how it goes long term though as in wear and tear and it was £8k an eye.

They will rip you off with the first price they offer.

You should shop around at every laser place near you (even if its a half hour drive, worth saving £100s) and get a consultation at each of them, the prices will vary wildly.

You can find on ebay or from other people who have had their eyes done vouchers to receive something like £500 off the treatment. That just proves how much of a markup they stick on and are willing to reduce.

PenguinsForAll

They will rip you off with the first price they offer.You should shop … They will rip you off with the first price they offer.You should shop around at every laser place near you (even if its a half hour drive, worth saving £100s) and get a consultation at each of them, the prices will vary wildly.You can find on ebay or from other people who have had their eyes done vouchers to receive something like £500 off the treatment. That just proves how much of a markup they stick on and are willing to reduce.

​Yes, don't accept the first price. Wait a week for them to call you after the consultation and they'll offer you a better price

njpugh90

​Yes, don't accept the first price. Wait a week for them to call you a … ​Yes, don't accept the first price. Wait a week for them to call you after the consultation and they'll offer you a better price

​Also, had mine done by optical express, about 3 years ago now, now have better than 20/20 vision. Best £3000 I ever spent

Original Poster

Thanks Guys for replies...

I have been to Optical Express and was quoted around 3800. I was offered 10% discount if I paid deposit at that moment but this seems to be a bit more than what I expected. I don't understand why it's based on prescription. I have consulted in India and there is no concept of prescription based cost. It's fixed for all, they only need to check to ensure if eyes are suitable for surgery.

My wife had it done from India for about 1000 pound so I might plan a Surgery holiday and hope all goes well. The only worry is after care in case I have to visit again though My wife didn't need to, Her eyes are 20/20 and that worries me sometimes

Cheers all.

Banned

What nobody has told you is that you need no formal training to become a "laser eye surgeon" only requirements are a three day course that teaches you how to use the machine and then that's ya lot.

Do it, its life changing. Honestly its like going from Standard Def TV to 4K in the flick of a switch

Original Poster

WonkyDoctor

What nobody has told you is that you need no formal training to become a … What nobody has told you is that you need no formal training to become a "laser eye surgeon" only requirements are a three day course that teaches you how to use the machine and then that's ya lot.

Yeah It could be difficult to read the qualifications if eyes are really bad

Original Poster

jimhuf

Do it, its life changing. Honestly its like going from Standard Def TV to … Do it, its life changing. Honestly its like going from Standard Def TV to 4K in the flick of a switch

Now confused between to upgrade the TV first or eyes
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Recommend a free reminder app911
      2. PS4 Deal @ GAME33
      3. BT Sport Vs SkySports34
      4. Nike Apple Watch 42mm11

See more discussions