Expired

Last week I got my first ever contract phone, now I have a credit card?!

Found 11th Nov 2014
Hi all. Last week I got my first ever contract phone from the carphone warehouse. I paid using my debit card and signed up for payments via it. Today however I recieved a text from "AquaCard" telling me my Aqua Credit Card monthly statement is available now? WHAT Aqua Credit Card? I've never had a credit card in my life nor do I want one!

Has The Carphone Warehouse signed me up for a Credit Card without informing me beforehand?! Or is this text just some bull that Is trying to phish for details of me.
Community Updates
22 Comments
Probably scam/fake email.. If you haven't signed up for it just ignore and delete the email
What is the email like, does it include your name or any other identification, like when I get one from my bank, they will include last 4 digits of my card etc.?
It's not an email, it's a text to my phone with a link to their site and a number ending "----" for my "aqua credit card" which I don't have.
happen all the time don't send anything back about yourself
If your really worried the best thing to do is ring Aqua. They can tell you if an account has been set up or if the text is a fake.
y2rotstar

If your really worried the best thing to do is ring Aqua. They can tell … If your really worried the best thing to do is ring Aqua. They can tell you if an account has been set up or if the text is a fake.

Good Advice here. Also just wait as they would have to send something through the post. Defiantly appears to be a scam
Check your credit file equifax / experian offer free 30 day which will tell you if any credit search's have been performed by Aqua Credit, and if so if someone has opened an account in your name. If they have contact Aqua Credit immediately to report it as fraud. But as other have said its likely just a phising scam. Do NOT reply to their text even with STOP as this confirms the no. is active and you'll get loads more spam texts.

Noodle.co.uk is a free credit search company from call credit. Not as detailed but 100% free.
paul1005

Check your credit file equifax / experian offer free 30 day which will … Check your credit file equifax / experian offer free 30 day which will tell you if any credit search's have been performed by Aqua Credit, and if so if someone has opened an account in your name. If they have contact Aqua Credit immediately to report it as fraud. But as other have said its likely just a phising scam. Do NOT reply to their text even with STOP as this confirms the no. is active and you'll get loads more spam texts. Noodle.co.uk is a free credit search company from call credit. Not as detailed but 100% free.

Hi. I tried Noddle and it shows I have no Credit Cards on my report nor do I have any loans (both are true). So I take it I can take this text as a scam?
scottishgamer

Hi. I tried Noddle and it shows I have no Credit Cards on my report nor … Hi. I tried Noddle and it shows I have no Credit Cards on my report nor do I have any loans (both are true). So I take it I can take this text as a scam?

Noddle isn't as up to date as equifax or experian.. worth calling aqua.
I would be going back to where ever you got the phone from and asking who they have given your number to?
mosskeeto

I would be going back to where ever you got the phone from and asking who … I would be going back to where ever you got the phone from and asking who they have given your number to?

My thoughts too, looks like details have been given away. Or if new number than a recycled one?
adam_holcombe

Noddle isn't as up to date as equifax or experian.. worth calling aqua.

Well, tried phoning Aqua but it asks for your credit card number. Can't give them one as I don't have one!
scottishgamer

Well, tried phoning Aqua but it asks for your credit card number. Can't … Well, tried phoning Aqua but it asks for your credit card number. Can't give them one as I don't have one!

Call 0845 601 0436 and enter a random 16 digit number (it will fail), then enter another 16 digit number (it will fail again), and then you'll get transferred to an agent.

I just tried this for you, and it works.
adam_holcombe

Call 0845 601 0436 and enter a random 16 digit number (it will fail), … Call 0845 601 0436 and enter a random 16 digit number (it will fail), then enter another 16 digit number (it will fail again), and then you'll get transferred to an agent.I just tried this for you, and it works.

Thanks for the help! Managed to get through and someone took my postcode and searched to see if anyone in my area had a Aqua card. No one in my street does (I guess if someone did, she would have then asked what my house number is). She apologised and explained it must have been an error on their end.

Cheers again mate!
just another thought, did you get a new number with the contract.

If so it may be a re-issued mobile number and the previous owner used to have an Aqua credit card and not updated their details.

Just a thought.
mds1256

just another thought, did you get a new number with the contract.If so it … just another thought, did you get a new number with the contract.If so it may be a re-issued mobile number and the previous owner used to have an Aqua credit card and not updated their details.Just a thought.

Yes, I switched provider (O2 > EE) so I got a new number
I went from EE to O2 the other day and I had a missed call and voicemail from a couple of days before I activated and received some random you have £xxx waiting etc. Why do you not have a credit card btw? They really aren't evil. The amount of cashback I have got from having one has paid for many gifts and you get a bit more protection if anything goes wrong with a purchase.
MIDURIX

I went from EE to O2 the other day and I had a missed call and voicemail … I went from EE to O2 the other day and I had a missed call and voicemail from a couple of days before I activated and received some random you have £xxx waiting etc. Why do you not have a credit card btw? They really aren't evil. The amount of cashback I have got from having one has paid for many gifts and you get a bit more protection if anything goes wrong with a purchase.

Because not everyone likes to live in debt?
Besides Visa Debit Card gives you same protection as credit card and you get cashback too :P
scottishgamer

Yes, I switched provider (O2 > EE) so I got a new number

You didn't need to change your number, I swapped from 3 to EE and kept my number.
It's a sales technique, they just want you to go to their website and apply for a card. I get it all the time. Ignore it, it's harmless.
AnnaMak

Because not everyone likes to live in debt?Besides Visa Debit Card gives … Because not everyone likes to live in debt?Besides Visa Debit Card gives you same protection as credit card and you get cashback too :P

Not true.
Probably a wrong number text. I have had my current mobile number just over 8 years and I still get the odd message every couple of months for the guy who had the number before me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants