Expired

LAST YEAR Receive £140 credit on your electricity bill - Warm Home Discount

Found 28th Aug 2015
Last year of this scheme (Last post about WHD was 10 months ago)! Does not apply to everyone.

The Warm Home Discount (WHD) Scheme is a 5 year programme introduced by the Government in April 2011 and administered by energy suppliers to provide rebates on the electricity bills of households that need it most in England, Scotland, and Wales.

The Warm Home Discount Scheme (WHDS) offers eligible customers a one-off payment on their electricity bill. For Winter 2015/16, this will be £140.

The WHDS separates eligible households into two groups - the 'Core' group and the 'Broader' group.

Core Group - Pension Credit customers are automatically considered for a discount.

Broader Group - May not receive the discount automatically. This group are people who receive the eligible benefits (Income Support, JSA, Universal Credit, Income related employment etc.) Also includes other stuff so check your electricity supplier to see if you're eligible and how to apply.

Following suppliers are part of the scheme:
Atlantic, British Gas, Co-operative energy, EDF Energy, E.ON, Ebico (Equipower & Equigas), First Utility, Manweb, M&S Energy, npower, OVO, Sainsbury's Energy, Scottish Gas, Scottish Hydro, ScottishPower, Southern Electric, SSE, SWALEC, Utility, Utility Warehouse

gov.uk/the…get
Community Updates
37 Comments
sfsorrow for Prime minister
Surely this is a freebie not a deal.
Or learn to live within your means like every other generation.
rooney10

Funny , but this is open to those that work who are much less fortunate … Funny , but this is open to those that work who are much less fortunate and on lower wages. They may rely on the likes of 'working tax credit' to top them up. ..... just saying

People that also work but have a disabled child or person living in the property can apply I think
sfsorrow

Get a job instead. You get more than £140 for that.

So if your disabled you should get a job, theirs always one. I wonder if you would say such a daft thing if you didn't have a job and couldn't get one or if you were unable to work because of disability. I dont have a job because i had a very bad accident at work that nearly killed me and was retired through ill health, so should i get a job aswell.

People like you make me sick, not everyone who gets benefits is a alcoholic or drug addict like on the TV using the money to fund their lifestyle and laughing because of it, some of us don't have a job for a good reason and do the best with what we have and dont claim what we are not entitle to. Me personally i wish i could work i had a dam good job doing what i loved until falling while installing cables in a unstable roof on a Sunday night and i also have qualifications that are going to waste. So not all of us are scrounging bums.

Edited by: "polly69" 28th Aug 2015
Personally I think this should be deleted. The less people that know then the less it costs the taxpayer. People on benefits already get everything paid, why should they get free heating when hard working people don't get anything for free?!?!?! Makes me sick!
polly69

So if your disabled you should get a job, theirs always one. I wonder if … So if your disabled you should get a job, theirs always one. I wonder if you would say such a daft thing if you didn't have a job and couldn't get one or if you were unable to work because of disability. I dont have a job because i had a very bad accident at work that nearly killed me and was retired through ill health, so should i get a job aswell.People like you make me sick, not everyone who gets benefits is a alcoholic or drug addict like on the TV using the money to fund their lifestyle and laughing because of it, some of us don't have a job for a good reason and do the best with what we have and dont claim what we are not entitle to. Me personally i wish i could work i had a dam good job doing what i loved until falling while installing cables in a unstable roof on a Sunday night and i also have qualifications that are going to waste. So not all of us are scrounging bums.

Since when did Disability = Noability? There are thousands of jobs doing exactly what you are doing right now, typing on a computer from home and flexible working. We are deep into a digital revolution, it's old news, there is more technology then ever to assist with all manner of disabilities and there is a whole multi-billion pound industry of global scale where possibly for the first time in history (this is still old news btw) people with many forms of disability now are on a much more even keel and barriers that existed previously don't exist.

I think the barrier with many disabled people (not all) is not that they can't work at all, but that they give up or the government signs them off because their job choices are limited or their previous chosen profession is not as achievable as it once was (through no fault of that person). But here is some food for thought, some kids don't get certain grades and they can't get onto the career path they wanted; so does that mean that they are disabled because their job choices are also limited? (rhetorical). Of course not.. and neither should many disabled persons.. if plan A fails, make a new plan, if it is hard work to do so it'll reap much greater rewards.
Tory Voters in their masses in this thread i see... It'll get to the stage where you have to donate your left kidney to live...
118luke

Tory Voters in their masses in this thread i see... It'll get to the … Tory Voters in their masses in this thread i see... It'll get to the stage where you have to donate your left kidney to live...

well more people voted tory than any other single party at the last election so it stands to reason.

CALLING ALL THOSE ON BENEFITS - HERE'S SOMETHING ELSE FOR FREE!
Typical the people who work get nothing yet the lazy jsa clowns get more freebies.
I work had a pay cut instead of being made redundant . I am on working tax credits too I have 2 kids and a mortgage. I get no help with council tax or any utility bills. I don't drink I don't smoke I can't afford it I break my balls to pay all my monthly bills while the scroungers just fill in a form for free money from the tax I pay . It's disgusting
how do you know if you are eligible
Take a bow & be proud you hard working people lets slate all those on benefits even those on DLA my goodness lets believe they're all lazy good for nothing humans I mean working people are superior, I mean how dare a family claim this heating allowance when they may have a disabled child shame on them! Working people don't claim benefits do they? I work but claim working tax credits & child benefit, which many working people with children do lets not forget that!!
before some people wet their pants with resentment and its not fair.... it looks like its only for the worst affected families anyway...

the british gas site states:
In order to qualify for the Warm Home Discount you (account holder or partner) are required to meet the following criteria:

In receipt of the Savings or Guarantee & Savings element of the State Pension Credit (unless already qualifying as part of Core Group).

OR

In receipt of one of the following means tested eligible benefits:[1]
Income Support.
Income based Jobseekers’ Allowance.
Income related employment and support allowance (which includes a work related activity or support component).
Universal Credit (low income elements).

And includes one of the following:
Child element for children aged 5 or under.
Disabled child element.
Limited capability for work element.
OR
Customer has a gross annual house hold income (HHI) of less than £16,190[2] and the account holder is living with mental or physical disability or illness,or there is vulnerability within the home (children living in the house aged 5 or under) or of pensionable age.
Lovely to see the ignorance and hatred towards those less fortunate than others here . God forbid any of you get cancer or a mental illness or have a car accident , or have a spouse die and become a lone parent . It must be a wonderful view up there on your pedlestools. You are invincible and have lifetime secure jobs with no redundancies and working bodies which will never succumb to illness . One day you might find you need support and think you deserve it , only to be labelled lazy and ' not disabled enough ' . You'll realise the cuts you gleefully applauded come round to bite you in the backside. Let's all make sure those who have less get kicked to make us feel better . The year I was fighting cancer and my husband gave his job up to care for me when I couldn't work anymore was a harsh winter and we claimed this because we needed it . Not because we were lazy , not because we had the heating turned up to a tropical haven . It was because we had little income . This year I do not need to claim it and instead of hating all the people who do, I'm going to thank my lucky stars that I don't need to instead of bitterly wishing those who do have even less.
Ps -Id happily give my taxes to a disabled child over an MP Who uses it for his Duck pond moat . But let's not make a fuss about those sort of injustices , eh .
My nan will be entitled to this. she's with eon but Scottish Power is a cheaper rate. If she switches to Scottish Power will Scottish promise that my nan gets free winter allowance this winter even if we switch a month before winter?
I qualify for the cos I'm classed as a full time carer to my son who is autistic unfortunately the supplier I'm with isn't involved in the scheme...I agree with what people are saying why is it just for those on certain benefits it should be for people on low incomes as well as benefits
Gball

Personally I think this should be deleted. The less people that know … Personally I think this should be deleted. The less people that know then the less it costs the taxpayer. People on benefits already get everything paid, why should they get free heating when hard working people don't get anything for free?!?!?! Makes me sick!

Everything free like what ?
dylan05

Everything free like what ?

Rent
Council tax
Dental treatment
Prescriptions
School meals
Money (benefits)
Money towards school uniforms.
Nursery fees.

Seriously, did you really have to ask?!?!? They get everything handed to them on a plate and I think it is disgusting that they also get free electricity when some WORKING people are struggling to pay bills!!!
http://sonofadud.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/sadviolin1.jpg
Gball lol do your homework! People in receipt of benefits pay a percentage of rent and council tax. Free school meals is available to all primary school children, school uniform is not free and there is no grant for this! Prescriptions are free for alot of people who fall into certain categories! Take your head out your **** and pray you don't fall into the gutter
Omg seriously?? so now disabled people are in the wrong? you people are vile, benefits are there for that reason!! I'm pretty sure most honest people do not enjoy being disabled!
For 1 I am a working mother and my partner works too we have 3 kids and we get prescriptions free school meals free milk free etc not rent or bills I'm in 2 minds the people that really need the benefit system I am happy to pay my taxes for people that genuinely cannot work this can be disabled people to single mothers or even mothers with a partner that works because I no how hard and expensive it is for childcare but the people that can work but just can't be arsed and fleecing the system seriously they need a kick up ass I'm not on millions and we do struggle a lot to get by (I'm also mentally disabled) but for all u judging people on benefits I think u need to look at it 1st there r people that really need to use it xx
thanku to the op for posting this . too many genuine people who do not claim what they may be entitled to because they have never needed the benefits therefore do not know how the system works as they have always worked but circumstances beyond their control mean they have no choice but to accept the help availabe ! im pretty sure the welfare system was set up for exactly this reason . just a shame there are people who think it is their meal ticket to an easy life. if the government sorted these scrubbers out the system would have more money to help those who need it the most. #justsaying
Some people don't realise that to be eligible for things like this you generally have to be in alot of difficulty. Either financial and/or physically. Id happily swap but somehow don't think you would be able to cope with a life of chronic pain in return for a little financial help. Don't begrudge, you never know what's around the corner.
Benefit bashing yet again, just be thankful it's not you.
Gball

RentCouncil taxDental treatmentPrescriptionsSchool mealsMoney … RentCouncil taxDental treatmentPrescriptionsSchool mealsMoney (benefits)Money towards school uniforms.Nursery fees.Seriously, did you really have to ask?!?!? They get everything handed to them on a plate and I think it is disgusting that they also get free electricity when some WORKING people are struggling to pay bills!!!

Whereas even me who earns quite a comfortable wage as a professional has to make sacrifices if I want to put my child in childcare! Worlds gone mad.

these systems are all broken. I had a family member who landed in unfortunate circumstances and had to make serious sacrifices to even afford the basics and got no help at all, whereas there's people I went to school with who still don't have jobs and sponge for a living because they couldn't keep their legs closed!

There are genuine circumstances where people need this money, but for the most part people get it because they can't be bothered in life.

My main issue is that there are people who aren't entitled to most benefit are struggling and work their behinds off to pay there way for their families whereas their neighbour could just sit at home all day and be toasty!

Edit: actually, rather interestingly my family member who had hard time for a while was actually told she would be better off giving her job up and claiming benefits. This was from a job centre employee!
Edited by: "tehwabbit" 29th Aug 2015
There's always the people slating people on benefits on these threads when a lot are claiming WTC/CTC for example,they are still benefits ,you aren't solely paying your way or paying for your children yourself,you're getting help,oh,the irony.
Edited by: "Domthedonkey" 29th Aug 2015
tehwabbit

Whereas even me who earns quite a comfortable wage as a professional has … Whereas even me who earns quite a comfortable wage as a professional has to make sacrifices if I want to put my child in childcare! Worlds gone mad.these systems are all broken. I had a family member who landed in unfortunate circumstances and had to make serious sacrifices to even afford the basics and got no help at all, whereas there's people I went to school with who still don't have jobs and sponge for a living because they couldn't keep their legs closed! There are genuine circumstances where people need this money, but for the most part people get it because they can't be bothered in life.My main issue is that there are people who aren't entitled to most benefit are struggling and work their behinds off to pay there way for their families whereas their neighbour could just sit at home all day and be toasty!Edit: actually, rather interestingly my family member who had hard time for a while was actually told she would be better off giving her job up and claiming benefits. This was from a job centre employee!

That's usually people with children,single people on JSA don't usually have it so easy
Benefit bashing at it's best eh?

Seriously though I couldn't give a stuff what benefits people are on whether they have a 50" TV blah blah blah, I was always told don't worry about what others earn either by wage or benefits as long as I can afford what I need for my family and they don't go without why would you be bothered about what others get or have?
Mrs F

Benefit bashing at it's best eh? Seriously though I couldn't give a stuff … Benefit bashing at it's best eh? Seriously though I couldn't give a stuff what benefits people are on whether they have a 50" TV blah blah blah, I was always told don't worry about what others earn either by wage or benefits as long as I can afford what I need for my family and they don't go without why would you be bothered about what others get or have?

We were brought up to not talk about money whether you had any or not,these days it's all you hear,how skint people are
deb8z

We were brought up to not talk about money whether you had any or … We were brought up to not talk about money whether you had any or not,these days it's all you hear,how skint people are

Exactly, you wouldn't ask a person how much they earn? So why are people so bothered about what benefits others are in..I never discuss with anyone what money comes into this house it's no ones business, people should worry about themselves not benefit bash.

Yeah back when I were young it was rude to discuss money, shame the same rules don't apply now.
Mrs F

Exactly, you wouldn't ask a person how much they earn? So why are people … Exactly, you wouldn't ask a person how much they earn? So why are people so bothered about what benefits others are in..I never discuss with anyone what money comes into this house it's no ones business, people should worry about themselves not benefit bash.Yeah back when I were young it was rude to discuss money, shame the same rules don't apply now.

Exactly,I feel old now lol but it was classed as rude to discuss money.
Gball

Personally I think this should be deleted. The less people that know … Personally I think this should be deleted. The less people that know then the less it costs the taxman. People on benefits ...blah blah blah

corrected that for you and cleaned up the drivel. Its not Coming out of your pocket - its coming out of "poor", David Cameron's. I have a strong dislike for that man after he immediately made everything more expensive and started squeezing every penny he could from the average person, yet his rich buddies are patted on the back. Anything we can get out of this meiser the better (and this is coming from someone who has never claimed benefits and works full time).

I don't fall for the Tory propaganda the papers show, like showing a 27 year old in a tracksuit in birmingham with 7 kids living in a council house. The gullable then imagine anyone on benefits to be like that person, its quite sad really. The reality is far different.

I know one day i might not be so fortunate and may need income support to live on, though i hope it never happens. I look forward to the day when people come to their senses and kick him out, then life can get back to normal where we don't hear about cuts to services everywhere, and in the same news report MPs getting huge payrises and bankers getting incredible bonuses.
Its not just unemployed people who are eligible but also those on a low income of under £16,000. Funny how those complaining are happy enough to take advantage of glitches on websites and not worry about the faceless people or companies having to bare the cost of that mistake. But as soon as its something for free that they cant get because its means tested, then they jump up and down and insult the people who can get it. This is a godsend as it means not having to worry so much about keeping the bedrooms of their babies or vulnerable loved ones warm in winter.
Stop whinging about it, if you dont like scroungers then look at the house of Lord's where each member can claim up to £300 A DAY just for being a Lord or lady etc!!!
Sory but people on hear moaning benefit people get anything.
So one question am I in the wrong?
1)I work part time 16 hours
2)I have three year old
3)and get help with rent and council and warm heating

So does this mean I'm in the wrong
Amiek2008

Sory but people on hear moaning benefit people get anything. So one … Sory but people on hear moaning benefit people get anything. So one question am I in the wrong?1)I work part time 16 hours2)I have three year old 3)and get help with rent and council and warm heating So does this mean I'm in the wrong

Are you a single parent?
So many horrible comments. We didn't know about this grant thanks to Atlantic energy company, I found out by first utility.

It's too late to apply now I think as the application forms closed and people were payed in March time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants