Posted 16 August 2020

Lastminute Refund Help

Hi,

Bit of a sticky situation, was wondering if someone could provide some help?

Pre-covid I booked a 2 way (Outbound and Inbound) flight to Turkey under one booking with Lastminute.

In the first week of July the outbound flight was cancelled and I had the option to request a refund for that flight alone and not the inbound flight. I called Lastminute and requested a refund for the full booking as, if I was unable to fly there (no flights available), why would I need a return ticket. They said they would have to chase a refund with British Airways.

2 weeks later, I called for an update... they said they are still waiting to hear back from the airline and to wait.

1-2 weeks after, I called again... they said to wait again.

On Friday I logged into my Lastminute account and saw that my inbound flight from Istanbul to Heathrow was due to be open for check-in on Sunday (Today).

I called Lastminute again and this time the agent on the phone said he doesn't know what I was told by other agents but its pretty clear that I'm not entitled to a refund for that return flight because it is still active by the airline and the flight PNR numbers are different. I argued that if I made a 2 way trip on a single booking and the outbound flight is cancelled then surely the return trip should be void. The agent said no because the PNR numbers are different and if I want to chase a refund I should contact British Airways. I hung up and called British Airways, they advised me that they cannot help and that I shouldn't be contacting them if I bought through a third-party. It should be Lastminute contacting them and also that I am not entitled to a refund as the flight PNRs are different (She assumed I had purchased 2 different bookings). I explained that it wasn't 2 different bookings, it was 1 single booking for a round trip. She said they couldn't help.

Called Lastminute again and they said to email their customer support, so I did. Haven't heard back (It is the weekend so expected).

Check-in is now open.

I unfortunately paid via Debit instead of a Credit Card.

I called my bank about an hour ago and spoke to the claims department and they said they cannot file a dispute or chargeback as Lastminute has offered me a refund for half the booking (the cancelled outbound flight) and that I can't file a dispute for the inbound flight as British Airways is still providing that flight.

I'm assuming that when I purchased the booking for a 2 way flight with Lastminute that they then booked 2 separate one way flights with British Airways, causing the different PNR issue?

That is where i am at the moment.

Apologies for the lengthy explanation, does anyone know what steps I can take next?
Lastminute won't refund the second flight nor will the bank file a dispute.

Have I just lost money for half the booking?

Any and all help would be appreciated, thank you!
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Having the same problem with kiwi for flights I booked 3 months ago DONT USE THESE THIRD PARTY COMPANIES!! Look on Trustpilot at there reviews it’s shocking!
    The only way to get our money from Lastminute was through section 75. Santander were very good, got our money back within 2 weeks after sending the claim albeit Lastminute had another 45 days to dispute it. Obviously nothing happened as they know very well that what they do with refunds is illegal.

As for you, if you can show to the bank that the ticket you bought was round trip, booked with one order then they should be on your side as it will be very hard for Lastminute to claim otherwise. If they booked your trip as two separate flights then it is their problem.
    I had a similar experience with lastminute. Lufthansa refused to refund because the ticket was bought through lastminute and lastminute were useless. Due to time change of the flight some weeks ago Lufthansa eventually agreed to issue a voucher. Forget about lastminute and try to play for a voucher with the airline directly. Good luck
    Author
    senukas16/08/2020 18:56

The only way to get our money from Lastminute was through section 75. …The only way to get our money from Lastminute was through section 75. Santander were very good, got our money back within 2 weeks after sending the claim albeit Lastminute had another 45 days to dispute it. Obviously nothing happened as they know very well that what they do with refunds is illegal.As for you, if you can show to the bank that the ticket you bought was round trip, booked with one order then they should be on your side as it will be very hard for Lastminute to claim otherwise. If they booked your trip as two separate flights then it is their problem.

My bank is also Santander, I told them this and they said even if it is under 1 booking, the fact that the second flight is still available is why they won't issue a dispute
    aMagicalPotato16/08/2020 18:59

My bank is also Santander, I told them this and they said even if it is …My bank is also Santander, I told them this and they said even if it is under 1 booking, the fact that the second flight is still available is why they won't issue a dispute

Did lastminute offer you an alternative outbound flight? If the only option was a refund (or their joyous travel vouchers credit) then the simple logic should prevail as you can't make the inbound flight because you can't fly there in the first place. I would still ask Santander to start the chargeback claim.
    Author
    senukas16/08/2020 19:04

Did lastminute offer you an alternative outbound flight? If the only …Did lastminute offer you an alternative outbound flight? If the only option was a refund (or their joyous travel vouchers credit) then the simple logic should prevail as you can't make the inbound flight because you can't fly there in the first place. I would still ask Santander to start the chargeback claim.

No replacement flight was offered, only a refund for the outbound flight!
    Logic should prevail but it doesn't I've explained to Santander that if my flight there was cancelled and unable to be re-booked then I cannot use the return flight so it doesn't make sense. But they refused to help and said they won't issue a chargeback.

I think my next step is a moneyclaimonline form?

I'll try Santander in the morning again
    I'm pretty sure I saw Simon Calder on the BBC about 3-4 weeks ago explain that it's only the uk that treats a flight out and back as 2 separate journeys. Where as most EU countries class it as a fully return trip and all the benefits that entails. I. E. If you can't make it out there as that's cancelled the rtn is cancelled as well.

The uk seems to be different in this respect.
    Seen this on my news feed this morning and thought of your posting.

BBC News - Coronavirus: '£400,000 recovered' in flight refunds in NI
    bbc.co.uk/new…057
    Author
    I just contacted Santander again and they’ve filed a claim, have to send them proof via post. Little bit tricky as they don’t reply to emails so I’ve only dealt with them via phone. So will send copy of phone bill to prove the number of times I’ve called them
's avatar