Lastminute.com flight cancellation

Posted 23rd Mar
So I just received an email from lastminute that Emirates has cancelled my booking and they're processing a voucher as a refund.

Cancellation is expected (obviously) but I would like a full cash refund instead of voucher. Anyone has any advice for me please? (I contacted them, waiting for reply)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
You're doing well, they cancelled my booking and tell me I'm not going to get a refund.

Lastminute are a bunch of twunts.
mas9923/03/2020 08:05

You're doing well, they cancelled my booking and tell me I'm not going to …You're doing well, they cancelled my booking and tell me I'm not going to get a refund.Lastminute are a bunch of twunts.

So they didn't offer you a voucher?

You're saying they cancelled your booking but are just keeping your money and giving you nothing in return?

Of course they are
This subject was discussed on yesterdays LBC with Clive Bull.
The advice is to reject the voucher and check with the airline if there is a complaints procedure and persue a cash refund.
rimalpatel00723/03/2020 08:48

This subject was discussed on yesterdays LBC with Clive Bull.The advice is …This subject was discussed on yesterdays LBC with Clive Bull.The advice is to reject the voucher and check with the airline if there is a complaints procedure and persue a cash refund.

Thanks! Yeah Emirates is offering cash refund on their website (unfortunately I booked through lastminute so I'll have to deal with lastminute). It seems they want to hoard my money.
Had a scan of the lastminute.com generic terms, may have missed it but doesnt mention the refund has to be a voucher so would hold out for a cash refund

"Amendment/cancellation by us or the airlineIn the unlikely event that the airline cancels or amends your booking (for example due to scheduling changes), or is otherwise unable to fulfil your booking, we will use reasonable efforts to contact you as soon as reasonablypossible using the contact details you provided at the time of booking. If the airline is unable to fulfill your booking and is unable to provide an alternative, your booking will be cancelled with a full refund."lastminute.com/ter…tml

edit maybe old terms - says check updated terms in your booking confirmation email
Edited by: "Chanchi32" 23rd Mar
Chanchi3223/03/2020 08:51

Had a scan of the lastminute.com generic terms, may have missed it but …Had a scan of the lastminute.com generic terms, may have missed it but doesnt mention the refund has to be a voucher so would hold out for a cash refund"Amendment/cancellation by us or the airlineIn the unlikely event that the airline cancels or amends your booking (for example due to scheduling changes), or is otherwise unable to fulfil your booking, we will use reasonable efforts to contact you as soon as reasonably possible using the contact details you provided at the time of booking. If the airline is unable to fulfill your booking and is unable to provide an alternative, your booking will be cancelled with a full refund."https://www.lastminute.com/terms/terms-and-conditions.html#flight_amendmentbyusedit maybe old terms - says check updated terms in your booking confirmation email

Will do, thank you.
raylist23/03/2020 09:14

Will do, thank you.

Near word-for-word term as below for many years, at least the last six years (although not read entire rambling t&c that may have other clauses)
"...If the airline is unable to fulfill your booking and is unable to provide an alternative, your booking will be cancelled with a full refund..."
Regardless, as purchased online you will have received the applicable t&c at the time of or immediately prior to your order "in a durable medium" so you should be able to check specific terms uniquely applicable to your booking.

Archive of t&c history at web.archive.org/web…tml
Chanchi3223/03/2020 08:51

Had a scan of the lastminute.com generic terms, may have missed it but …Had a scan of the lastminute.com generic terms, may have missed it but doesnt mention the refund has to be a voucher so would hold out for a cash refund"Amendment/cancellation by us or the airlineIn the unlikely event that the airline cancels or amends your booking (for example due to scheduling changes), or is otherwise unable to fulfil your booking, we will use reasonable efforts to contact you as soon as reasonably possible using the contact details you provided at the time of booking. If the airline is unable to fulfill your booking and is unable to provide an alternative, your booking will be cancelled with a full refund."https://www.lastminute.com/terms/terms-and-conditions.html#flight_amendmentbyusedit maybe old terms - says check updated terms in your booking confirmation email

Thanks, I've just read my specific term and conditions it seems I am eligible for cash refund with £30 fee (or voucher without fees). I think I'll still prefer the £30 fee compared to voucher.
Edited by: "raylist" 23rd Mar
raylist23/03/2020 09:57

Thanks, I've just read my specific term and conditions it seems I am …Thanks, I've just read my specific term and conditions it seems I am eligible for cash refund with £30 fee (or voucher without fees). I think I'll still prefer the £30 fee compared to voucher.

You won't have to pay the fee, It's Lastminute.com that broke the contract of agreement for your travel plans so you'll be entitled to a full refund.
If they refuse take them to the small claim courts but that's assuming they're still in business in a few months time.
deleted8085823/03/2020 08:38

So they didn't offer you a voucher? You're saying they cancelled your …So they didn't offer you a voucher? You're saying they cancelled your booking but are just keeping your money and giving you nothing in return? Of course they are

Yep.

Booking was hotel only (for a uni visit for daughter). I put a cancellation request in last Tuesday (and it was a booking that allowed cancelations) and got this on Saturday:

Dear xxx,We are contacting you regarding your cancellation quotation request. Unfortunately, there is no refund for the service you have selected, as set out in the Terms and Conditions.Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance. Kind regards,Customer Care Teamlastminute.comPlease do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored; any emails sent here will not be read or responded to.If you have any questions regarding your trip, check out our Need Help area and to view your trip details, request assistance or change your booking, please log in to your account area, My lastminute.com, via our website or app.

Their email address gives an autoreply saying it isn't monitored. phones sit in queues for over an hour then get cut off. Oh and I rang the hotel direct and they say they allow free cancellations of any bookings and lastminute haven't paid them. Room was for last night.

Appology will be accepted
Edited by: "mas99" 23rd Mar
I get a feeling reading the above comments Lastminute.com may be trying to claw back money to stay in business.
mas9923/03/2020 10:46

Yep.Booking was hotel only (for a uni visit for daughter). I put a …Yep.Booking was hotel only (for a uni visit for daughter). I put a cancellation request in last Tuesday (and it was a booking that allowed cancelations) and got this on Saturday:Dear Matilda, We are contacting you regarding your cancellation quotation request. Unfortunately, there is no refund for the service you have selected, as set out in the Terms and Conditions. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance. Kind regards, Customer Care Team lastminute.com Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored; any emails sent here will not be read or responded to. If you have any questions regarding your trip, check out our Need Help area and to view your trip details, request assistance or change your booking, please log in to your account area, My lastminute.com, via our website or app.Their email address gives an autoreply saying it isn't monitored. phones sit in queues for over an hour then get cut off. Oh and I rang the hotel direct and they say they allow free cancellations of any bookings and lastminute haven't paid them. Room was for last night.Appology will be accepted

YOU cancelled the booking, not them. Obviously, there has to be a cut-off in the time before when you are allowed to cancel. Without seeing your booking confirmation how does anyone know if you cancelled in time to get a refund?

Re:the hotel saying they allow free cancellations - your contract is with LM.com, not the hotel, and it is LM.com's T&C that apply to you.
Edited by: "deeky" 23rd Mar
deleted8085823/03/2020 10:54

YOU cancelled the booking, not them. Obviously, there has to be a cut-off …YOU cancelled the booking, not them. Obviously, there has to be a cut-off in the time before when you are allowed to cancel. Without seeing your booking confirmation how does anyone know if you cancelled in time to get a refund?

Cut off for cancellation was Saturday - which is when they sent the email. cancellation request was made the previous tuesday.

Are you defending lastminute?
mas9923/03/2020 10:56

Cut off for cancellation was Saturday - which is when they sent the email. …Cut off for cancellation was Saturday - which is when they sent the email. cancellation request was made the previous tuesday.Are you defending lastminute?

Nope, not defending anyone. I'm just saying that if lastminute T&C say you can cancel and get a refund then you will be able to. If you are unable to get a refund then it suggests that you are either mistaken in believing that you cancelled in time or that you were allowed to cancel at all.
Looks like we may all be getting vouchers for holiday refunds soon ; independent.co.uk/tra…tml
deleted8085823/03/2020 11:00

Nope, not defending anyone. I'm just saying that if lastminute T&C say you …Nope, not defending anyone. I'm just saying that if lastminute T&C say you can cancel and get a refund then you will be able to. If you are unable to get a refund then it suggests that you are either mistaken in believing that you cancelled in time or that you were allowed to cancel at all.

Or that lastminute are twunts?

I'm not mistaken about the booking details or cancellation cut off. I specifically made sure before booking because I thought that there was a chance of the open day being cancelled.

Cancellation requests made on or after 2020/03/21 will be subject to a penalty of 61 GBP

I've messaged them on facebook but I'm also looking at doing a chargeback. Failing that I'll be issuing moneyclaimonline.
Edited by: "mas99" 23rd Mar
mas9923/03/2020 11:06

Or that lastminute are twunts?I'm not mistaken about the booking details …Or that lastminute are twunts?I'm not mistaken about the booking details or cancellation cut off. I specifically made sure before booking because I thought that there was a chance of the open day being cancelled.

Well it should say the cancellation cut off date on your confirmation. If you cancelled in time you will get it back I expect.
yorkie1223/03/2020 11:02

Looks like we may all be getting vouchers for holiday refunds soon ; …Looks like we may all be getting vouchers for holiday refunds soon ; https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/package-holiday-refund-rules-suspended-abta-coronavirus-a9417261.html

This made my bum clench lol. We've booked with on the beach and we are in the same position as everyone who's booked a holiday this summer. I'm sure most who'd like the cash back and would certainly need it. I've been recently laid off as many have, and the voucher would be a slap in the face.
STRICKIBHOY23/03/2020 11:22

This made my bum clench lol. We've booked with on the beach and we are in …This made my bum clench lol. We've booked with on the beach and we are in the same position as everyone who's booked a holiday this summer. I'm sure most who'd like the cash back and would certainly need it. I've been recently laid off as many have, and the voucher would be a slap in the face.

Yep I'm on similar position. I am self employed and my work just ended recently so cash refund is the only option for me. Luckily I purchased it using a credit card so if they refuse me a refund I will try a charge back.
raylist23/03/2020 12:13

Yep I'm on similar position. I am self employed and my work just ended …Yep I'm on similar position. I am self employed and my work just ended recently so cash refund is the only option for me. Luckily I purchased it using a credit card so if they refuse me a refund I will try a charge back.

I don't think we'll have any choice but to have a voucher , it looks like it's a government backed scheme to help stop holiday firms going bust.
Anyone know how to contact these idiots ? Was supposed to go for weekend in Krakow 16th March. On 15th it was announced flights would be suspended and the foreign office advised against travel. I had already checked in for out going flights. Tried to ring them on hold for 2 hours then cut off. Flight back was cancelled and all I got was a text from Ryanair. Nothing not even an email from last minute. Now unable to even contact them, they won’t answer phone. Account area is all greyed out as less than 24 hrs to flight. Booked flights and hotel through them.
rik11123/03/2020 22:09

Anyone know how to contact these idiots ? Was supposed to go for weekend …Anyone know how to contact these idiots ? Was supposed to go for weekend in Krakow 16th March. On 15th it was announced flights would be suspended and the foreign office advised against travel. I had already checked in for out going flights. Tried to ring them on hold for 2 hours then cut off. Flight back was cancelled and all I got was a text from Ryanair. Nothing not even an email from last minute. Now unable to even contact them, they won’t answer phone. Account area is all greyed out as less than 24 hrs to flight. Booked flights and hotel through them.

Try twitter, it seems their twitter account has some signs of life although still no reply on my tweet/direct message.
raylist23/03/2020 12:13

Yep I'm on similar position. I am self employed and my work just ended …Yep I'm on similar position. I am self employed and my work just ended recently so cash refund is the only option for me. Luckily I purchased it using a credit card so if they refuse me a refund I will try a charge back.

Don't be so sure with credit card charge back, my dad is still waiting on his refund from the Flybe fiasco, the credit card company said we had to send an email to dispute the transaction, even though the whole of the UK know what went wrong, then we had to send email confirmation of the booking (we send the e-ticket receipt, they say it isn't good enough, eh?). Still waiting for them to reply (thought it would be pretty straight forward with just a phone call). The booking was for May 2020. And it's Nationwide that he's with, in case you guys needs to avoid those clowns
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants