Late night parties - noise disturbance

Found 25th Aug 2013
Is there anything that can be done when the neighbours are having a late night party? I live at the bottom of a dead end road and our relatively new neighbours (about a year) are having a house/street party.

I'm all up for having fun but these guys are just taking the ****.

Is there anything that can be done or do i just have to grin and bear it?
Community Updates
MiscHeadphones
48 Comments
Call council usually has nuisance number and they come out. If its a one off then i would let it go if a pattern then unleash all powers
Call the 5-O (police) who should come and have a quiet word (excuse the pun). Also look up the number for your council noise abatement officer (should be an out of hours number). They can also come round right away to sort it. Let us know how you get on.
Edited by: "t_kaay" 26th Aug 2013
Thanks guys. I didn't know there was an out of office number to call.

I wouldn't mind if they kept it inside the house with the doors and windows shut but its basically a street party for them and the music is full blast. It amazes me how inconsiderate some people can be.

Not everyone has tomorrow off.
Go round and ask them nicely to keep the noise down/shut the windows?

Honestly much better than calling the council/police, just go round and explain that you don't have tomorrow off/the noise is keeping the kids up etc.
Unless it's every night I'd grin and bear it...it's annoying but what are you going to do? Go round and knock on their door and ask them to tone it down? I live in quite a quiet area, very rare occasionsthere are parties, frustrating that it seems to only happen when I have a 13 hour shift at work the next day, but whatever....we were all young once...remember that...Hey it's Bank Holiday man, go and join them..
Is it just today or a regular thing? If it's just today, then I would call the police and explain that you would like them to call round to the property in question and sort out the disturbance. I would also tell the police NOT to call at your property as part of their visit as you do not wish the persons to be aware it was you that reported it. If it's a regular thing, get the council involved.
starsparkle2311

Unless it's every night I'd grin and bear it...it's annoying but what are … Unless it's every night I'd grin and bear it...it's annoying but what are you going to do? Go round and knock on their door and ask them to tone it down? I live in quite a quiet area, very rare occasionsthere are parties, frustrating that it seems to only happen when I have a 13 hour shift at work the next day, but whatever....we were all young once...remember that...Hey it's Bank Holiday man, go and join them..

Exactly, you have to live and let live once in a while. If its a one off then let it go
t_kaay

Is it just today or a regular thing? If it's just today, then I would … Is it just today or a regular thing? If it's just today, then I would call the police and explain that you would like them to call round to the property in question and sort out the disturbance. I would also tell the police NOT to call at your property as part of their visit as you do not wish the persons to be aware it was you that reported it. If it's a regular thing, get the council involved.

Thank god I dont live near you
Its a one off thing but no notice was given.

I don't know the neighbours so wouldn't be able to pick them out of the 50 people that are littered in the street or the house.

Tempted to phone the police but don't want to waste police time. Plus i can imagine a riot starting if the police were called!
One of the kids on our street decided he was gonna have a party through the night because his mum was at work and he had just left school. It decended into chaos. Beer and drugs. Damage everywhere. The police were called after several hours. Thay turned up at about 1 in the morning and were still there at 3. They brought dogs but just left them in the vans. The police were a waste of time. All they did were have a go at any teenage lad they came across and flirted with any teenage girl with mini skirts and boob tubes on.
Like someone else sais, it might be just as well to try to ignore it if its a one off. Otherwise you may end up with more bother.
lookingfordeals2013

Exactly, you have to live and let live once in a while. If its a one off … Exactly, you have to live and let live once in a while. If its a one off then let it go

Live and let live?? This isn't a family get together or a nice evening meal with a couple of drinks. If it was a group of 5-10 people playing a bit of music and having a drink i wouldn't be moaning. But having 40+ people trying to recreate Notting Hill carnival is a bit of **** take.

Grab some beers and go join in the fun*. Get through work tomorrow on redbull and proplus!

* Don't drink too much and drink and drive in the morning.

Starr

Its a one off thing but no notice was given.I don't know the neighbours … Its a one off thing but no notice was given.I don't know the neighbours so wouldn't be able to pick them out of the 50 people that are littered in the street or the house.Tempted to phone the police but don't want to waste police time. Plus i can imagine a riot starting if the police were called!

If you don't know your neighbours then why do you think notice should be given? Wow btw 50 of them littered on the street? Jeepers where do you live? Sorry, hard for me to imagine your situation, I live in a small town, know all my surrounding neighbours...some not by choice, ha. I wouldn't phone the police unless of course, you fear you are at risk of harm...are you?
starsparkle2311

If you don't know your neighbours then why do you think notice should be … If you don't know your neighbours then why do you think notice should be given? Wow btw 50 of them littered on the street? Jeepers where do you live? Sorry, hard for me to imagine your situation, I live in a small town, know all my surrounding neighbours...some not by choice, ha. I wouldn't phone the police unless of course, you fear you are at risk of harm...are you?

It doesn't matter if you know your neighbours or not, the polite and decent thing to do when having a party is to let your neighbours know and give them an indication of what time it will finish. I live in NW London and its carnival weekend which i imagine is the reason for the party.

No, no risk of harm unless i went outside and asked them to be quiet lol.
Yes you are right sir..but this is the 21st century...hello!!! Glad to hear you're not at harm, it'll all be over soon..give or take a few hours...
when they are out at work burn their house down, there will be no more parties
feckin fuddy duddies complaining about late night parties at midnight.
smh.
Get your revenge on their late night party by hiring a pneumatic drill to shatter the piece and quiet whilst they are trying to sleep this morning.
Starr7

Live and let live?? This isn't a family get together or a nice evening … Live and let live?? This isn't a family get together or a nice evening meal with a couple of drinks. If it was a group of 5-10 people playing a bit of music and having a drink i wouldn't be moaning. But having 40+ people trying to recreate Notting Hill carnival is a bit of **** take.

No, its a party. If you're idea of a party is 5-10 people drinking pimms or something then that is upto you but to others maybe they like something different. Now this is a one off as you have said previous, so just let it go
Someone's thong is obviously chafing.
Mark2111

Get your revenge on their late night party by hiring a pneumatic drill to … Get your revenge on their late night party by hiring a pneumatic drill to shatter the piece and quiet whilst they are trying to sleep this morning.

I was going to get my own back a few years ago on an all night party by playing loud music all morning, fekkin party went on until lunch time, then they all went down the pub.........respect to their staying power
To be fair there is nothing worse than loads of people close by having fun whilst you are sat indoors with crap all on the telly and you have nothing better to do than curtain twitch at the party revellers in the street!

I'm just amazed how many people have today off. The roads were incredibly quiet on my way into work, car park was empty

On the plus side, I'm off on Friday then will be off for a fortnight *happy dance*.
lol cant believe this is actually a thread do people not live in the real world.... a one off party and your complaining get a life, my neighbour has 1 or 2 party's a year with no warning but even 2 party's I can live with because other than that there good neighbours
If its a one off, deal with it. Easiest way to resolve persistent noise polluters short term is call the police and tell them there is lots of noise and you believe there is a a domestic disturbance - A police officer told me that, but if you tell them its just noisy you'll just get 'not our problem mate'. Long term you want to keep a log the behaviour and keep reporting them to environmental health, helps if you can get neighbours to complain too.

We have a scumbag family by us who have a huge (and I mean huge!) PA system, they used to have big parties with their music at full blast until 5/6am every few weeks, not to mention them all screaming like drunken fools, don't mind people having the odd late party with reasonably loud music, you have to reasonably expect it, but the line has to be drawn at some point. There is no need for music concert volume levels at 4am that robbing your neighbours of sleep so frequently, it's the extreme end of selfish, we've tried all of the above... the police thing worked and the environmental health threatened to confiscate their equipment, now they only throw a few extremely noisy parties a year.

I also used to live in a flat and one guy would get dunk and have karaoke on 2-3 times a week during the working week, asked him to stop and he promised he would... Obviously he carried on so I got together with the other residents to complain to the landlord and he was asked to leave the building when his tenancy expired.

People don't have a right to inflict noise on you in a way that frequently causes disruption to your life, don't stand for it. When people call you a party pooper or whatever it's just because they have either never experienced the s***y end of noise pollution or they are the inconsiderate tossers who inflict it on people.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 26th Aug 2013
miles136

when they are out at work burn their house down, there will be no more … when they are out at work burn their house down, there will be no more parties

have you missed the fact that they are having the party in the street so they don't actually need the house?
spaceinvader

If its a one off, deal with it. Easiest way to resolve persistent noise … If its a one off, deal with it. Easiest way to resolve persistent noise polluters short term is call the police and tell them there is lots of noise and you believe there is a a domestic disturbance - A police officer told me that, but if you tell them its just noisy you'll just get 'not our problem mate'. Long term you want to keep a log the behaviour and keep reporting them to environmental health, helps if you can get neighbours to complain too. We have a scumbag family by us who have a huge (and I mean huge!) PA system, they used to have big parties with their music at full blast until 5/6am every few weeks, not to mention them all screaming like drunken fools, don't mind people having the odd late party with reasonably loud music, you have to reasonably expect it, but the line has to be drawn at some point. There is no need for music concert volume levels at 4am that robbing your neighbours of sleep so frequently, it's the extreme end of selfish, we've tried all of the above... the police thing worked and the environmental health threatened to confiscate their equipment, now they only throw a few extremely noisy parties a year.I also used to live in a flat and one guy would get dunk and have karaoke on 2-3 times a week during the working week, asked him to stop and he promised he would... Obviously he carried on so I got together with the other residents to complain to the landlord and he was asked to leave the building when his tenancy expired.People don't have a right to inflict noise on you in a way that frequently causes disruption to your life, don't stand for it. When people call you a party pooper or whatever it's just because they have either never experienced the s***y end of noise pollution or they are the inconsiderate tossers who inflict it on people.

At least you understand where I'm coming from. Extremely loud music such as a PA system set up just takes the ****.

The council turned up and shut it down at about 3. I don't expect it to be silent round here but a little consideration after 12 would be nice.
i thought you needed council permission for a street party (like when it was the jubilee) & especially if there's a PA system, you're right that people have no consideration for their neighbours thesedays...it all boils down to their selfish attitude in my opinion

foam earplugs from Boots are only £2 though
So they have one party on one night on a bank holiday on a carnival weekend and they have been quiet for a year prior to that and you're complaining?

Jeez. Party pooper or what.
KillFelix

So they have one party on one night on a bank holiday on a carnival … So they have one party on one night on a bank holiday on a carnival weekend and they have been quiet for a year prior to that and you're complaining?Jeez. Party pooper or what.

Well apart from the party when they moved in as well.

So you mention its a bank holiday... That means sod all if people have to work the next day. Don't tar me as some party pooper. I'm realistic. I don't mind noise but PA speakers until 3 is wrong. I can't believe there are so many people in this thread who think they have the right to throw a massive house/street party and cause an enormous amount of disturbance. Do the rest of the street not have the right to a peaceful nights sleep?
Edited by: "Starr" 26th Aug 2013
DarkEnergy2012

i thought you needed council permission for a street party (like when it … i thought you needed council permission for a street party (like when it was the jubilee) & especially if there's a PA system, you're right that people have no consideration for their neighbours thesedays...it all boils down to their selfish attitude in my opinionfoam earplugs from Boots are only £2 though

Funny that, had they of given a days notice i would have got some ear plug and probably not heard a thing.
Dog next door was a bit yappy - I knew they were tenants.

I got the rental agency (I know the owner lol) to threaten them with eviction unless they got rid of the dog.

A couple of days later: no more yappy dog - they gave it away.

Job done.

I think OP's situation is identical.
Starr

Well apart from the party when they moved in as well. So you mention its … Well apart from the party when they moved in as well. So you mention its a bank holiday... That means sod all if people have to work the next day. Don't tar me as some party pooper. I'm realistic. I don't mind noise but PA speakers until 3 is wrong. I can't believe there are so many people in this thread who think they have the right to throw a massive house/street party and cause an enormous amount of disturbance. Do the rest of the street not have the right to a peaceful nights sleep?

I agree with you. Well out of order and a sign of how selfish some people are in this country. I would have phoned the police but I expect some other neighbours already did.

They'll probably turn up soon
KillFelix

So they have one party on one night on a bank holiday on a carnival … So they have one party on one night on a bank holiday on a carnival weekend and they have been quiet for a year prior to that and you're complaining?Jeez. Party pooper or what.

Imagine if every one of your neighbours were as inconsiderate and decided to have an annual party until 3am and took it in turns each week
Smash your neighbour's back doors in
it must be frustrating, but consider yourself lucky op (cos you deffo are) some poor people have to live with parties every weekend - just grin and bear it for now
Yep there are many soon to be hapless students in halls of residence throughout the land who will be disliked by everybody and won't get invited to parties - yet there's a party on virtually every night on their doorstep.

Listen to the music ;-
csiman

Imagine if every one of your neighbours were as inconsiderate and decided … Imagine if every one of your neighbours were as inconsiderate and decided to have an annual party until 3am and took it in turns each week

Well I lived next to a pub who used to go on until the early hours with banging loud karaoke that was so loud our radiators and cutlery would vibrate, every single night for 8 months until they were shut down. And then there was the death threats too..

I really don't mind one offs, even once a week would be just about bearable. Mind you anything is bliss compared to every night.

Once a year? Not a problem.
Never understood why people don't put a note through their neighbours doors informing them of a party, giving them the choice to go out themselves or make arrangements if they have new born babies, pets etc.
Yeah like: we're having a party, it'll be right noisy and you're in the way so kindly bog off between the hours of 6pm and 5am from your home. Thanks - your neighbour.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions