Latest NoScript Update 10.1.3c has killed the internet.

Found 28th Nov 2017
A few hours ago NS auto-updated and immediately 50% of the websites I visit stopped working correctly; I could no longer log in to HUKD, read notifications or use the contact forms; the same (or worse was happening with other websites).

Allow everything wasnt making any difference, so I disabled NS - - and everything sprang back into life.

SO be warned!!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
32593951-X8mj3.jpg
24 Comments
NS? Norton Security ? That malware should be outlawed.
Many websites don't function without JavaScript now. They don't make 'em like they used to. I remember back in the day when it was a requirement to make them functional server side. Also no more.
I use an older version of firefox so i'm unaffected. The wife uses the latest one and on hers you may as well classify noscript as a virus. Complete and utter dog****.
seems to be Firefox in Version 57 did something to break Noscript or vice versa, I have downgraded back to V56.0.2 and you can get this from Firefox for download
This seems to be an update that came out today, the new version of NoScript was working "ok" prior to it.

The NS dev did say that some functionality was going to be missing from the new Quantum version, as he had to concentrate on getting the basic package working; so some rather useful options are missing.

I did note yesterday, that it was white listing a lot of rather dodgy sites that werent white listed the day before, so I was suffering from some nasty pop unders; but resetting the list seemed to fix that - until todays melt down.

Hopefully he will issue a fix or rollback soon; I hate being naked on the internet these days.
I'm using FF 57 and NoScript 10.1.3c1 (I haven't updated it) and unfortunately for you all, I can access this site

My advice would be to reset (or uninstall/reinstall) FF and start again.
When I updated from FF56, I couldn't add any Cookie Exception rules to F57, so I reset it and it cured the issue.
32593951-X8mj3.jpg
davewave15 m ago

[Image]

Translated It’s a bit like blah blah Firefox blah broken, worry about java, not end of the world for most and internet not broken.
eslick13 m ago

Translated It’s a bit like blah blah Firefox blah broken, worry about j …Translated It’s a bit like blah blah Firefox blah broken, worry about java, not end of the world for most and internet not broken.

I use Chrome to avoid this sort of thing.
eslick21 m ago

Translated It’s a bit like blah blah Firefox blah broken, worry about j …Translated It’s a bit like blah blah Firefox blah broken, worry about java, not end of the world for most and internet not broken.

Its lucky you arent paid for your translations; it is NoScript that is broken, not FireFox; although the major changes to FireFox have caused a large number of addons to have a melt-down.

As for Chrome, I dont like Google knowing everything I do on line, nor do I like its "hair shirt" approach to the internet, or the underhanded way it made its way on to many peoples PC and made itself the default browser; behaviour like that usually results in a PUP tag from the malware suites, but although Adobe and Mcaffe have been ticked off for similar behaviour, Google is too big and powerful, so no one challenges them.
Gentle_Giant10 m ago

Its lucky you arent paid for your translations; it is NoScript that is …Its lucky you arent paid for your translations; it is NoScript that is broken, not FireFox; although the major changes to FireFox have caused a large number of addons to have a melt-down.As for Chrome, I dont like Google knowing everything I do on line, nor do I like its "hair shirt" approach to the internet, or the underhanded way it made its way on to many peoples PC and made itself the default browser; behaviour like that usually results in a PUP tag from the malware suites, but although Adobe and Mcaffe have been ticked off for similar behaviour, Google is too big and powerful, so no one challenges them.

just swtich off noscript then, job done
No script has killed the internet? I remember when video killed the radio star. Those were the days. Oh the memories....
Mock all you want; I install NS by default on every PC install I do, as do many others I know of, so a lot of clueless people are going to be running around like headless chickens this morning, after booting up their PC's and finding their bookmarked websites arent working.
Gentle_Giant34 m ago

Mock all you want; I install NS by default on every PC install I do, as do …Mock all you want; I install NS by default on every PC install I do, as do many others I know of, so a lot of clueless people are going to be running around like headless chickens this morning, after booting up their PC's and finding their bookmarked websites arent working.

Anyone that bothered about the internet not working is probably not running anywhere.
Gentle_Giant13 h, 44 m ago

This seems to be an update that came out today, the new version of …This seems to be an update that came out today, the new version of NoScript was working "ok" prior to it.The NS dev did say that some functionality was going to be missing from the new Quantum version, as he had to concentrate on getting the basic package working; so some rather useful options are missing.I did note yesterday, that it was white listing a lot of rather dodgy sites that werent white listed the day before, so I was suffering from some nasty pop unders; but resetting the list seemed to fix that - until todays melt down.Hopefully he will issue a fix or rollback soon; I hate being naked on the internet these days.

If you hate to be naked, run at least two PCs, one always back level minus 1 or minus 2 levels back and also run a test PC to test out updates before you apply it to your main machines in anger. Otherwise if anything is bust, it is your own fault in most cases for not taken action against the very thing that you hate.
Gentle_Giant47 m ago

Mock all you want; I install NS by default on every PC install I do, as do …Mock all you want; I install NS by default on every PC install I do, as do many others I know of, so a lot of clueless people are going to be running around like headless chickens this morning, after booting up their PC's and finding their bookmarked websites arent working.

I wouldn't have thought clueless people would know about NoScript. But I suppose if you install for people without explaining what it is and what it does...
splender15 m ago

If you hate to be naked, run at least two PCs, one always back level minus …If you hate to be naked, run at least two PCs, one always back level minus 1 or minus 2 levels back and also run a test PC to test out updates before you apply it to your main machines in anger. Otherwise if anything is bust, it is your own fault in most cases for not taken action against the very thing that you hate.

What about those of us that like to be naked?
MSK.20 m ago

I wouldn't have thought clueless people would know about NoScript. But I …I wouldn't have thought clueless people would know about NoScript. But I suppose if you install for people without explaining what it is and what it does...

You can explain how to use it, same as anything that needs explaining, but as soon as it does something they didnt expect; they go headless chicken.

Had this with my mum and a portable recept printer; it took a couple of months of her screaming "Its BROKEN" down the phone at me before I trained her well enough that she would remember to SWITCH IT ON!!
CoeK16 m ago

Then I will see you at Flamborough Head*, although it is a bit chilly right now.

* Not sure if the nudest colony is still there.
Gentle_Giant2 m ago

Then I will see you at Flamborough Head*, although it is a bit chilly …Then I will see you at Flamborough Head*, although it is a bit chilly right now.* Not sure if the nudest colony is still there.

Not sure if i like the sound of that invite.
CoeK48 m ago

They wouldn't be going to many places out there and the OP's header title will be Noclothes killed the world.
OK, on a more serious note, 10.1.4 is out and fixes the problems; the internet is now fixed!!!!

Slightly off topic, it seems that Chrome is not only installing itself silently with some freeware downloads; it is making itself the default browser silently as well, AND not relinguishing control when uninstalled.

Had a call from my mum yesterday, saying links in emails had stopped working; guess why.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants