Latest Xbox 360 console 'update' question...

Posted 18th Nov
Turned on my XB360 last night to play "Tomb Raider" which I picked up the other day for a squid and had to do a console update. It got me wondering yet again about a question I've asked myself before: What do these updates do? I've looked online before but can never find just what they (MS) have 'updated' on my console. Unlike Windows where you can click on "More information" and read what a particular update does, the XB never tells you anything.

Why can't MS put in a pop-up box either before (or after) the update explaining what the update's purpose is? Either that or a button that fires up the browser and goes to their website with an explanation? I appreciate that if you want the best from your console, you have to accept the updates - so you really have no choice as such - but it would be nice of them to tell you what they've done at least!

Is there anywhere you guys know of that you can read what an update did?

Best regards to all, Phsy.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Security updates normally, maybe driver updates.. be glad you still get them and the system is still supported...
Bargainhead18/11/2019 13:32

Security updates normally, maybe driver updates.. be glad you still get …Security updates normally, maybe driver updates.. be glad you still get them and the system is still supported...

I wouldn't say I'm 'glad' Bargainhead. Appreciative, yes but I'd be happier if they just told you what they were doing. Better transparency 'n' all.

As for support: IE browser on XB360 no longer functions correctly on many sites. You can't use it to view this very site as it's broken. None of the dropdown menu's work. The only way around it is to type in the address bar with the correct 'tag' at the end.

And no, I don't use the browser a lot. It's just sometimes convenient whilst on the console to access the web quickly.

Also, damn I wish they would change the search wallpaper from ruddy penguins! It used to change fairly regularly but it's been stuck on "Pengies" for ever!
Phsycronix18/11/2019 13:51

I wouldn't say I'm 'glad' Bargainhead. Appreciative, yes but I'd be …I wouldn't say I'm 'glad' Bargainhead. Appreciative, yes but I'd be happier if they just told you what they were doing. Better transparency 'n' all.As for support: IE browser on XB360 no longer functions correctly on many sites. You can't use it to view this very site as it's broken. None of the dropdown menu's work. The only way around it is to type in the address bar with the correct 'tag' at the end.And no, I don't use the browser a lot. It's just sometimes convenient whilst on the console to access the web quickly.Also, damn I wish they would change the search wallpaper from ruddy penguins! It used to change fairly regularly but it's been stuck on "Pengies" for ever!

Wait till next autumn and get the new Xbox. Or pick up a Xbox one now you can get them on eBay for £70 ish...
More than likely a ban hammer update for modded consoles, either that or stability updates.
Updates can often include things like anti-hacking measures and security updates to the firmware which obviously Microsoft or Sony may not actually want to share the details of for obvious reasons.
It's probably just an update to keep Xbox Live compatibility between Xbox One and 360.
You can find the update release notes on the Xbox support website, although it doesn't tell you much:

Xbox 360 operating system versions and system updates
support.xbox.com/xbo…tem

OS version: 2.0.17559.0DASHBOARD: 2.0.17559.0

Release date
11/12/2019
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements
Thanks guys for all the comments so far. Especially @martians with the provided link. That's exactly the sort of thing I meant. As you say, it doesn't say too much but I notice that some of the former ones do go on to detail various updated options and things. I guess that's all one can hope for.

Gonna have another crack on "Tomb Raider" later. It looks so good. Just finished Battlefield 4 and that was very immersive. It amazes me how games improved so much from the early days of the 360. Imagine if the games had looked this good back at the beginning...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants