Laundry detergents

Found 25th Oct 2017
I have done some research on this topic and I can't come to a firm conclusion. And I have a few questions I'd like to ask. Because I currently use Persil non bio but when I wash my clothes they don't smell of anything I have used all the correct settings and temp and I have a really good hotpoint A+++ washing machine which less than a year old.

Are powders better than capsules ?

Is bio better than non bio?

Which detergent do you use?

And how do I fix my problem ?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
I used to work (years ago) for Albright & Wilson who were/are the only company in the UK that manufactured phosphorous based products which is the basis for all washing/detergent powders.
They manufactured for ALL the companies (Proctor & Gamble/Lever Brothers etc .

They all use the same basic product at vastly different prices.
I worked for Procter & Gamble many years ago as a student - I must have signed a non disclosure agreement so can't say too much (not that I can remember any details anyway)!!!

The top companies, P&G and Unilever undertake a lot of research to ensure their products are market leaders. However, the technology is now old - so many companies now have very similar products to theirs - the gap between the best and the competitor products I'd say has never been so small.

As it is an established market with old technology the manufacturers have looked for other ways to stand out from the pack and one theme has become 'convenience'. First liquid detergents were introduced and then liquid tabs - they are targeted at being more convenient - with the consumer generally prepared to pay more for the convenience. So I would say that powders are still the best performing - but that the difference with the best tabs/capsules is small.

Bio products are generally better performing than non bio.

Odour - do you really need a residual odour - if you do you can achieve this best with a conditioner. There is a current thread on here about conditioners.

We currently use Aldi powders and whatever is cheapest between Lenor or Comfort.
I personally like bold 2 in 1 liquid detergent (many scents available).
Have to admit, for some reason, I do still add fabric conditioner too
I'm not a fan of the liquid tabs/ pods because occasionally one won't disintegrate completely and leaves a real mess - especially if you don't notice and just throw everything in the dryer. I prefer not to use a hot water wash except for cleaning cycles, so those are a little risky for me.

Powder supposedly gets whites whiter, but between powder and liquid I've never noticed a huge difference. Generally speaking I get whichever brand smells decent (including sometimes those that don't really smell of anything, or just smell "clean") and is a good deal. Not really loyal to any of them.
Edited by: "Muir" 25th Oct 2017
My sister uses Persil. I don't like the smell
Ariel gels are best for good clothes, only use powder for undies and socks
I would strongly advise everyone to avoid using liquid or gel because it clogs up your washing machine and waste pipes, That rotten egg smell is due to the gunk that has built up using liquid etc..

Powder not only performs better, It doesn't clog your washer or plumbing up anywhere near as much.
Why would you want them to smell of anything after you washed them? As long as they don't smell dirty or of sweat they should be fine. I use a small amount of powder and conditioner in a washing machine crammed full. Unless your something like a grease monkey / coal miner or just a slob your clothes should not be getting very dirty!
Edited by: "666FU" 26th Oct 2017
.MUFC.7 h, 13 m ago

I would strongly advise everyone to avoid using liquid or gel because it …I would strongly advise everyone to avoid using liquid or gel because it clogs up your washing machine and waste pipes, That rotten egg smell is due to the gunk that has built up using liquid etc..Powder not only performs better, It doesn't clog your washer or plumbing up anywhere near as much.

This is spot on.

Although I do use liquid for colours as it doesn't contain bleaching agents.

Powder every time for whites. Cheaper, cleans much better and keeps your machine plumbing clear.
chocci10 m ago

This is spot on. Although I do use liquid for colours as it doesn't …This is spot on. Although I do use liquid for colours as it doesn't contain bleaching agents.Powder every time for whites. Cheaper, cleans much better and keeps your machine plumbing clear.

Is there a good way of clearing everything out every so often like a 90 degree wash with vinegar or s
snoopy1857 m ago

Is there a good way of clearing everything out every so often like a 90 …Is there a good way of clearing everything out every so often like a 90 degree wash with vinegar or s

I do a maximum temperature washing machine and dishwasher clean with oust Wasing machine cleaner every 6 months.

My bosch washing machine and beko dishwasher are both 15 years old and have never had a fault
Isn't it quite good that your clothes have no odour, you will smell of your body spray, perfume, aftershave etc anyways.

I don't see this as a problem, actually quite good.
I stopped using powder because it clogged my machine up. I now use gel capsules. Powder is much cheaper than gel capsules but it is a nuisance having to scoop it out into a cup.

I didnt pay attention to bio/ non bio until I recently did and saw the capsules I used were bio.

I dont notice any smell on the clothes and I also use conditioner. The gel capsules also are fragranced. I am going to stop using conditioner but I am feeling nervous doing this as I have always used conditioner in every wash before and feel like I am doing something wrong if I dont add it to the wash
Once a month set the machine to the hottest cycle and let it run through to the end. Do not use detergent, etc. This should keep your machine clog free and non smelly.
June5052 m ago

Once a month set the machine to the hottest cycle and let it run through …Once a month set the machine to the hottest cycle and let it run through to the end. Do not use detergent, etc. This should keep your machine clog free and non smelly.

this sounds like too much hard work. my machine does not smell or clog up unless i use powder.
landros123 h, 14 m ago

I used to work (years ago) for Albright & Wilson who were/are the only …I used to work (years ago) for Albright & Wilson who were/are the only company in the UK that manufactured phosphorous based products which is the basis for all washing/detergent powders.They manufactured for ALL the companies (Proctor & Gamble/Lever Brothers etc .They all use the same basic product at vastly different prices.

Must have been a long long time ago.
mutley157 m ago

this sounds like too much hard work. my machine does not smell or clog up …this sounds like too much hard work. my machine does not smell or clog up unless i use powder.

It shouldn’t, with powder, gel and tablets do but not powder.

Cheapest way is to put a cup of white vinegar and soda crystals in the drum on a hot wash, gets rid of everything and cheaper than the washer cleaner products.
snoopy1813 h, 34 m ago

Is there a good way of clearing everything out every so often like a 90 …Is there a good way of clearing everything out every so often like a 90 degree wash with vinegar or s

32317746-Mw9Co.jpg
eslick1 h, 52 m ago

It shouldn’t, with powder, gel and tablets do but not powder. Cheapest w …It shouldn’t, with powder, gel and tablets do but not powder. Cheapest way is to put a cup of white vinegar and soda crystals in the drum on a hot wash, gets rid of everything and cheaper than the washer cleaner products.

May be i put too much powder in the machine but it tends to clog up in the drawer and wont go down the machine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants