Groups

Law on refunds for faulty electricals?

I bought an Xbox one S from the Microsoft store less then 6 months ago which has developed a fault that Microsoft have accepted.

Where the problem is they are offering me a replacement that would be a refurbished Xbox which I'm not happy about. or they have offered to repair my Xbox which would result in me not having the console until it's repaired. If it can't be repaired they will send out a replacement but again will be a refurb.

I then asked that as it was a fault that I'd like a refund but they have said they can only do that within the first month.

I have always thought that if an item has a fault with the first year then you are entitled a refund.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

18 Comments

Nope, they only have to repair or replace it. If it breaks again with same problem you start to have grounds for a refund I think

Get in touch with your credit card company or demand a refund as it's not fit for purpose?

Hi, I had once problems with an htc one and after many many conversations and several repair attempts I got another phone from htc support which was refurbished. I've looked up anything I could on forums and other places and I can tell you they are not even obliged to give you a replacement unless the device is sent back to repair with the exact same problem at least 3 or 5 times ( can't remember exactly, was told by a manager from htc customer support).
    From my experience only amazon has this kind of warranty wich entitles you to get a replacement of the device (brand new) within a year.
    PS: sorry for my english, not my first language

after 30 days they only have to offer a minimum of a repair, anything above that, including replacement or refund, is goodwill.

just be happy they are willing to give you a refurbished one. they wouldn't give me one even tho it was the second time mine went off for the same fault. it hasn't played up since tho

they get one chance to repair, then they have to replace it.
    Consumer Rights Act
    "Bought after 1 October 2015

If you're outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You can choose whether you want the goods to be repaired or replaced.

But the retailer can refuse if they can show that your choice is disproportionately expensive compared with the alternative.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product. "
    Edited by: "bazzadotdoc" 7th May

What is the problem with a refurbished model? You get a working XBox, and are effectively in the same position as you would have been if yours had not broke (pr was repaired). Yes, if the quality of the refurb is poor (I mean cosmetic) then you should reject it, but I don't see what the problem is here. You have th product you paid for and still have remaining warranty.

Surely all you want is a working console, which they are offering you, albeit a refurbished one, it does sound like your after something for nothing like some renumeration get your console issue resolved and move on.

Actually in my case, reading a lot on xda-developers, I found out that they use better parts than the original from factory for repairing the phones, and the refurbished phone I got was partly built by the engineer from the service centre using parts that were meant for repair. (at least that's what they told me).
    Never had any other problems with the phone after that, and there were a lot of problems with that phone.

At this point a repair would be warranted. The refurb unit you get from MS will be as good as new just without retail packaging (which you already have) so I wouldn't complain. I'm guessing you want a refund as you've realised a pS4 would have been a better investment. See the reverb on gumtree as soon as you get it and put it down to bad choice.

pctech891

Actually in my case, reading a lot on xda-developers, I found out that … Actually in my case, reading a lot on xda-developers, I found out that they use better parts than the original from factory for repairing the phones, and the refurbished phone I got was partly built by the engineer from the service centre using parts that were meant for repair. (at least that's what they told me). Never had any other problems with the phone after that, and there were a lot of problems with that phone.

They may make slight revisions to components, Sometimes the parts may actually be inferior as they try to cut costs etc.. Negligible difference really.

japes

At this point a repair would be warranted. The refurb unit you get from … At this point a repair would be warranted. The refurb unit you get from MS will be as good as new just without retail packaging (which you already have) so I wouldn't complain. I'm guessing you want a refund as you've realised a pS4 would have been a better investment. See the reverb on gumtree as soon as you get it and put it down to bad choice.

​Always someone got to mention PS4 on an xbox post.........yawn

the rule is 1st 28 days refund. after that it's up to them to replace (like for like, with yours being used they can give you a reconditioned one, repair your existing one or part or full refund) up to them which they chose, will normally be the most cost effective.

Original Poster

Thanks for all replies. I seem to be misunderstood when it comes to warranties and replacing faulty products with me ones. Will only buy from Amazon from now on for items like this as have never had a problem with them.

Suppose I'd better get back in contact with Xbox to say a refurbished replacement is needed.

within a month you could of gotten a refund, but after that they will send a replacment or repair it, be happy as lot of company's wont even do that

japes

At this point a repair would be warranted. The refurb unit you get from … At this point a repair would be warranted. The refurb unit you get from MS will be as good as new just without retail packaging (which you already have) so I wouldn't complain. I'm guessing you want a refund as you've realised a pS4 would have been a better investment. See the reverb on gumtree as soon as you get it and put it down to bad choice.

lmfao.

shauneco

They may make slight revisions to components, Sometimes the parts may … They may make slight revisions to components, Sometimes the parts may actually be inferior as they try to cut costs etc.. Negligible difference really.

​​yes probably, but I had another bad experience with an oneplus one, and i know for sure they were replacing touchscreens with different production batches because of the problems they had. And now I have problems with my S6's touchscreen and home button, it's like they follow me no matter what phone I buy
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Deleting chats on Facebook Messenger1011
      2. Virgin Media - what is a good price?616
      3. GAP Insurance Recommendations22
      4. cats and royal canin biscuits1019

See more discussions