Lawn Feed and Weed

Hi - Trying to salvage my weed / moss ridden lawn for the summer. Yes I know I probably should have done this at the start of spring but can anyone recomend a good product. I've previously used Evergreen which was ok for about 2 weeks. I'm determined to get results so I can stop apologising for the lawn whenver we have a BBQ!!

12 Comments

What are the problems? bald patches ,weeds, bad drainage that sort of thing. I use Wilko's feed and weed liquid as it's cheap and good. Have a read of this book it's superb!

amazon.co.uk/Law…8-1

mikebike;5434859

What are the problems? bald patches ,weeds, bad drainage that sort of … What are the problems? bald patches ,weeds, bad drainage that sort of thing. I use Wilko's feed and weed liquid as it's cheap and good. Have a read of this book it's superb!http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawn-Guide-Easy-Way-Perfect/dp/0955918014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244473953&sr=8-1

Used the stuff from Wilko's, too (although I used the dried stuff, not the liquid), and it's been smashing... gone from being 80% weeds / clover to about 10% and looking very healthy.

It about a fiver if memory serves me correctly.....

Original Poster

mikebike;5434859

What are the problems? bald patches ,weeds, bad drainage that sort of … What are the problems? bald patches ,weeds, bad drainage that sort of thing. I use Wilko's feed and weed liquid as it's cheap and good. Have a read of this book it's superb!http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawn-Guide-Easy-Way-Perfect/dp/0955918014/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244473953&sr=8-1

Thanks rep coming your way. For some reason this year I have about 7 or 8 patches of what looks like clover, rangomg from 1 foot to 8 foot patches. I assume its clover but have tried treating it as Moss with the Wilkinson granular Feed weed and moss killer which hasn't touched it at all. The rest of the lawn has gone a dark colour. Hope I've not ruined it!! Any suggestions?

Original Poster

hodsey77;5434908

Used the stuff from Wilko's, too (although I used the dried stuff, not … Used the stuff from Wilko's, too (although I used the dried stuff, not the liquid), and it's been smashing... gone from being 80% weeds / clover to about 10% and looking very healthy.It about a fiver if memory serves me correctly.....

What did you do after everything went dark brown / black. I put it down last wednesday and I'm not sure what the next step should be. Will the grass start to grow lush again or should I put a fertilizer down?

dinglebin;5434937

What did you do after everything went dark brown / black. I put it down … What did you do after everything went dark brown / black. I put it down last wednesday and I'm not sure what the next step should be. Will the grass start to grow lush again or should I put a fertilizer down?

I didn't do anything... the weeds died off and the grass took over Didn't use any fertilizer or anything like that, just waited a week or two and then cut the grass as normal, and all is fine with it now :thumbsup:

Edit: Gotta say though, only the weeds went brown / black - all the grass stayed green... did you use the right amount?

dinglebin;5434922

Thanks rep coming your way. For some reason this year I have about 7 or … Thanks rep coming your way. For some reason this year I have about 7 or 8 patches of what looks like clover, rangomg from 1 foot to 8 foot patches. I assume its clover but have tried treating it as Moss with the Wilkinson granular Feed weed and moss killer which hasn't touched it at all. The rest of the lawn has gone a dark colour. Hope I've not ruined it!! Any suggestions?

Well without seeing it it's difficult to say but a lawn rake used to scratch out dead grass (Thatch) and get air to the base of the grass is a great way of getting life into a lawn I would feed and weed again and see what happens but get the book and work hard on the lawn and this time next year it wil be perfect!:)

Original Poster

hodsey77;5434950

I didn't do anything... the weeds died off and the grass took over I didn't do anything... the weeds died off and the grass took over Didn't use any fertilizer or anything like that, just waited a week or two and then cut the grass as normal, and all is fine with it now :thumbsup:Edit: Gotta say though, only the weeds went brown / black - all the grass stayed green... did you use the right amount?

I used 2 of the large boxes on a lawn that is about 6m x 6m. Covered by hand as the granuals were to fine for the spreader I have. The weeds have gone black but the clover hasn't even changed colour. I tended to put more down on it too.

dinglebin;5435054

I used 2 of the large boxes on a lawn that is about 6m x 6m. Covered by … I used 2 of the large boxes on a lawn that is about 6m x 6m. Covered by hand as the granuals were to fine for the spreader I have. The weeds have gone black but the clover hasn't even changed colour. I tended to put more down on it too.

Hmm.... I used about half / two thirds of a box on my lawn of about 4m x 5m.... not sure what size box, like.

Hope you haven't used too much?

I did mine about the same time and I have patches of blackened grass too!
wish there was a wilkos near southampton. I used homebase feed and weed stuff

Original Poster

Im gonna give it a week and then maybe try something else. Next door neighbour had Green Thumbs pay a visit about 2 weeks ago and you can already see the results. I'm not jealous though (honest)

sculpturatus;5434832

from £14 http://www.greenthumb.co.uk/why-choose-us.html but they are … from £14 http://www.greenthumb.co.uk/why-choose-us.html but they are supposed to be good

i use these, after one treatment my lawn looked fab. it cost 17 pouns but worth it considering the cost of the good stuff from garden centres.

look for vouchers off in local free papers.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    2. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    3. How much would you pay for this chair?1214
    4. GOT Leaks again614

See more discussions