Lawn/Garden help

Posted 15th May
I have a small garden which I need to patch up on a budget.There are weeds growing and a bare patch area in one corner.

I wanted advice and help from people as to how to go about doing it please.

Equipment that I need:

1. rake? Anyone know any good rakes or deals? Springbok rake any good?

2. lawn feed and weed removal- I was thinking of getting Miracle-gro 4 in 1 from amazon £13.89. Any others or go with this?

3. Shall I put compost and grass seed after the lawn feed? How many weeks after? Any cheap compost that would do?

Or shall I just get one of those lawn company’s to do it- will that be cheaper?

Many Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Depending on how long you want to wait I remember b&m selling off lawn turf towards the end of the summer at 20p a roll...not saying that this will be the case again though.
Any repair will be patching over the root cause of the grass dying , I suspect the area is dark with not much light , means grass dies moss and weeds grow and I’ve empower the grass .

Reseed will work then possibly die again .

Depending on the area size , remove weeds stones and large objects .

I would turn the area over , take the area flat remove and large lumps .

Spread a layer of compost on top any will do .

Then put seeds down , get some with fertilisers in the. I’d with the seed “home bargains £1.89”

Keep the area moist for a week and water but don’t over water keep the soil dark .

2 weeks later a new lawn will appear
Great thanks. what about the rest of the lawn. shall i get the mircal-gro and spread it all over the lawn before reseeding?

also ashmac: what do you mean my 'turn the area over? -remove topsoil and then put compost?
Thanks
I would scarify the lawn and aerate it. Then spray broadleaf weeds with a lawn weedkiller. Then apply fertiliser and after a couple of weeks lightly reseed and water well.
yasg15/05/2020 09:55

Great thanks. what about the rest of the lawn. shall i get the mircal-gro …Great thanks. what about the rest of the lawn. shall i get the mircal-gro and spread it all over the lawn before reseeding?also ashmac: what do you mean my 'turn the area over? -remove topsoil and then put compost?Thanks

Just break
Up the ground loosen compacted soil , grass needs to breath at the root is the ground compact then it will not get enough oxygen, as above it’s good practice to get air and water deep into the roots buy using a pitch fork or something similar to put holes into the lawn .

I’m currently battling to save a Ken in the new house I bought , ive been reseeding for weeks now so I’m in the same boat as you
40756530-Mb01H.jpg
This area was pond , racked out the moss ect and started seeding , this is after a week and half
thanks that looks great. what about the rakes? any garden rake? i was looking at wickes rakes for about £6
ashmac15/05/2020 09:49

Any repair will be patching over the root cause of the grass dying , I …Any repair will be patching over the root cause of the grass dying , I suspect the area is dark with not much light , means grass dies moss and weeds grow and I’ve empower the grass .Reseed will work then possibly die again .Depending on the area size , remove weeds stones and large objects .I would turn the area over , take the area flat remove and large lumps .Spread a layer of compost on top any will do .Then put seeds down , get some with fertilisers in the. I’d with the seed “home bargains £1.89”Keep the area moist for a week and water but don’t over water keep the soil dark . 2 weeks later a new lawn will appear

I have a 50sq metre area in back garden that i was planning on turfing. If new lawn only takes 2 weeks to grow then i might just seed it.
Edited by: "ran123ran" 15th May
ran123ran15/05/2020 15:47

I have a 50sq metre area in back garden that i was planning on turfing. …I have a 50sq metre area in back garden that i was planning on turfing. If new lawn only takes 2 weeks to grow then i might just seed it.

If done correct seeding can be quick and effective as long as you do good prep and keep
The the area moist
Watering on a meter for turf can cost a small fortune.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 15th May
m1keyp1key15/05/2020 20:19

Watering on a metre for turf can cost a small fortune.

I’m on a meter 😬
ashmac15/05/2020 20:20

I’m on a meter 😬

Don't go laying it when there's no rain due for a few weeks
Is the Wickes compost any good? there is no home bargain near me. Also what are your thoughts on Miracle-gro
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions