Lawnmower recommended? Einhell GC-PM 46/2 S HW-E

Posted 30th Apr
My gardener has advised me to go for this mower, does anyone have this and recommend the same? It looks like it has a decent warranty so I'm thinking just go for this one.

Einhell GC-PM 46/2 S HW-E

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Mowers are quite subjective really. Your own capability for instance. This one is electric-start, is it not? Not something I'd entertain personally (more to go wrong - electrically) but something you may need. Why has your gardener recommended it? Something he has used? Or, is your gardener going to be using it so it's something he FANCIES using!
It has a second rate generic Chinese engine I personally wouldn’t touch it. Not saying the engine won’t work but long term servicing etc the parts just aren’t readily available. I don’t know when Einhell made the switch to these engines
Dannyrobbo30/04/2019 10:51

It has a second rate generic Chinese engine I personally wouldn’t touch i …It has a second rate generic Chinese engine I personally wouldn’t touch it. Not saying the engine won’t work but long term servicing etc the parts just aren’t readily available. I don’t know when Einhell made the switch to these engines

I was wondering about that too. Einhell are German, aren't they? I know I've seen them in shops as a kind of "budget" make along with other 'tools' of similar ilk. I'd rather have something with a Briggs & Stratton engine on it for ease of servicing and spare parts. Or even a nice Honda...
Phsycronix45 m ago

I was wondering about that too. Einhell are German, aren't they? I know …I was wondering about that too. Einhell are German, aren't they? I know I've seen them in shops as a kind of "budget" make along with other 'tools' of similar ilk. I'd rather have something with a Briggs & Stratton engine on it for ease of servicing and spare parts. Or even a nice Honda...

I got shafted with this a few years ago, the listing on amazon stated B&S engine it turned up with a cheap generic engine much of it is enclosed and difficult to access there wasn’t even an oil sump plug.

it’s clearly being sold under a name with perceived quality yeah German like you say (think Qualcast) but it’s really really not I’d avoid like the plague, amazon reviews show people having very poor experience with these also.

If you are going to opt for one with a cheaper engine and limited service it’s fine just don’t pay much for it, and take into account the warranty likely isn’t worth the paper it’s written on, so order from somewhere with good customer service.
Thanks, is there an alternative you recommend which has a similar capability? I ask as my gardener will be using it and will be paying it off himself, so it is his to keep -I do trust him as he's been working for 15 yrs for various work on our home, but I just want to ensure it's the right machine all around.

Iteretsing it's a chinese engine, warranty is 2 years, and 5 years if serviced within the 2 years..
What size lawn do you have?
My head butler recommends that one, so I think your gardener may be correct.
Just get a second hand Honda Izy, it will last a lifetime.
IF ITS NOT A BRIGGS AND STRATTON OR HONDA ENGINE

PLEASE DONT BUY IT!
SCuboid5 h, 54 m ago

Thanks, is there an alternative you recommend which has a similar …Thanks, is there an alternative you recommend which has a similar capability? I ask as my gardener will be using it and will be paying it off himself, so it is his to keep -I do trust him as he's been working for 15 yrs for various work on our home, but I just want to ensure it's the right machine all around.Iteretsing it's a chinese engine, warranty is 2 years, and 5 years if serviced within the 2 years..

What’s his budget? Honestly on the service front even getting somebody to service it would prove difficult. Einhell don’t have UK technical teams, you stand a chance if it’s a standard B&S engine but some places won’t bother with the cheap ones because even getting the oil out is a job as there’s no sump plug.
It's not that hard to service a mower really, so I can't see why repair or service places wouldn't do it.
If it doesn't have a sump plug you just suck it out via a small electric pump and tube, much easier and cleaner. I have done it on car engines before, just pop a tube down dipstick tube and suck it all out.

Although if you can find a honda one at a similar price I'd buy the Honda every time.
MonkeysUncle30/04/2019 19:20

It's not that hard to service a mower really, so I can't see why repair or …It's not that hard to service a mower really, so I can't see why repair or service places wouldn't do it.If it doesn't have a sump plug you just suck it out via a small electric pump and tube, much easier and cleaner. I have done it on car engines before, just pop a tube down dipstick tube and suck it all out. Although if you can find a honda one at a similar price I'd buy the Honda every time.

But to maintain warranty and prove it, doing it yourself is childsplay. You try to find a place that’ll do it to maintain Einhell’s extended 5 year warranty, it’s really just not worth the paper it’s written on.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 30th Apr
Dannyrobbo30/04/2019 20:23

But to maintain warranty and prove it, doing it yourself is childsplay. …But to maintain warranty and prove it, doing it yourself is childsplay. You try to find a place that’ll do it to maintain Einhell’s extended 5 year warranty, it’s really just not worth the paper it’s written on.

That's true. Didn't think of that, it would be next to impossible.
MonkeysUncle1 h, 52 m ago

That's true. Didn't think of that, it would be next to impossible.

But that being said like you say if you can self maintain and don’t mind shipping parts from China (I know the carb is sealed so changing the diaphragm means swapping the carb as a whole) then I imagine you could get this running okay. Personally B&S or Honda is a must for parts available and vast service info online.

OP I think if you tell the gardener the motor situation he would agree, Einhell used to be a good make, and it’s only recently they seem to have changed to cheaper parts he has probably used them for a long time and maybe he isn’t aware
themorgatron20 h, 23 m ago

Just get a second hand Honda Izy, it will last a lifetime.

Which Honda would you recommend which has a 46cm trim and a good size grass capacity? Is there anything around £329?Thanks
Edited by: "SCuboid" 1st May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions