Laws on baby,kids car seats?

48 replies
Found 3rd May 2009
Hi i have 3 kids and 1 is 3 years old and has a junior seat and a baby girl of 2 weeks and of course in her car seat but my eldest has to use a booster seat as shes only 6,the problem is theres no way i can fit all 3 seats in the back and was wondering if its legal for my eldest to sit in the middle between the junior seat and baby car seat without thw aid of a booster seat?

thanks

47 Comments

Banned

no it isnt, has your car not go three seat belts or you mean it is the width of the seats? If its the latter, the booster seats are only made of polystyrine so could be trimmed down a little

no. she must be on a booster im afraid, up to the age of 12 or over a certain height.

are you using a booster seat or booster cushion?

I'm pretty sure, unless she's over a certain hieght, she has to by law be in a booster seat. Can't remember the height tho but unless ur daughters very tall for her age, she's unlikely to be allowed :thumbsup:

No, they all have to be on the recommended seat or you are liable to prosecution......can the small baby go in the front, is it a rear facing seat? Check for your own car requirements as depending where the airbags are you cannot put certain seats in some.

Its the weight of the child that matters, once 12 it doesnt matter but under that only the heavier kids can go without a booster
[url]www.booster-seat.co.uk[/url]

Pretty sure you can sit her in the front on the booster seat.

Original Poster

is my eldest allowed to sit in the front passenger seat on her booster seat or does it have to be on the back?

strobez1977;5106551

is my eldest allowed to sit in the front passenger seat on her booster … is my eldest allowed to sit in the front passenger seat on her booster seat or does it have to be on the back?

she can sit in the front, only rear facing child seats cannot go in the front when an air bag is fitted.

Ok thats pretty informative, says that she can sit in the front on the proper seat, but.. for the back

There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are -

1) in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle;

2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;

3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

AshleyRFC;5106559

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

Good link, its nothing to do with weight but height on children under 12. weight is only a factor on deciding seats for age 4/6 and under.

Banned

strobez1977;5106551

is my eldest allowed to sit in the front passenger seat on her booster … is my eldest allowed to sit in the front passenger seat on her booster seat or does it have to be on the back?

yes she can :thumbsup:

There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In … There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are -1) in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle;2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;[COLOR="Red"]3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.[/COLOR]

From Ashleys earlier link

sassie;5106525

no it isnt, has your car not go three seat belts or you mean it is the … no it isnt, has your car not go three seat belts or you mean it is the width of the seats? If its the latter, the booster seats are only made of polystyrine so could be trimmed down a little

I never thought of that.. its a good idea so long as you dont compromise the stability of the seat in any way.

I seem to remember it is legal to not put three seats in the back if you simply cant fit them in due to the width of the seats, but trimming a booster seat down like this seems to be a good idea.

Makes me mad seeing lil ones bouncng around in the front or back of a car, it's so irresponsible. And I really have never heard of the police stopping anyone for this though of course it's illegal. There's so many cars on the road these days you obviously want to travel as safely as possible.

We considered getting a much larger four wheeler so the kids would have more space but of course then there's the environmental issues of course, as well as cost. This is why we have a mondeo as we can fit three car seats on the back seat together if we have to, though now our older ones are eleven and fifteen, it isn't a problem anymore for us ( and our 20yr old would never go anywhere with us...lol )

I'd really try Sassie's idea about filing down the seat slightly on each side see if you can fit it in x x

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5106565

Ok thats pretty informative, says that she can sit in the front on the … Ok thats pretty informative, says that she can sit in the front on the proper seat, but.. for the backThere are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are -1) in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle;2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

maybe she doesnt need one (my eldest) as the booster seat wont fit between the other 2 so would coe under number 3)

strobez1977;5106594

maybe she doesnt need one (my eldest) as the booster seat wont fit … maybe she doesnt need one (my eldest) as the booster seat wont fit between the other 2 so would coe under number 3)

Yeah she can sit in the back aslong as your middle belt isnt just an over the lap one but a proper one, or she can go in the front on the booster seat. :thumbsup:

Banned

what belts do you have in the back? also what is your booster seat, cause some are much bigger than others, my sister has one with like sides on to tags the belt under, whilst my mum has one that is just covered polystyrine (however you spell it)

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5106601

Yeah she can sit in the back aslong as your middle belt isnt just an over … Yeah she can sit in the back aslong as your middle belt isnt just an over the lap one but a proper one, or she can go in the front on the booster seat. :thumbsup:

its over the lap one but i think most cars middle seats are over the lap belts

[COLOR="Orange"]xxxDon't make things up, where does it say front?xxx
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Redundant now Sassie has deleted her reply[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

The oldest can legally sit between the two existing seats in the rear as long as they are using the seatbelt provided.

Original Poster

AshleyRFC;5106601

Yeah she can sit in the back aslong as your middle belt isnt just an over … Yeah she can sit in the back aslong as your middle belt isnt just an over the lap one but a proper one, or she can go in the front on the booster seat. :thumbsup:

one over the shoulder on the left and same on the right but over the lap in the middle

Banned

can you not put one of the bigger seats in the middle

strobez1977;5106612

its over the lap one but i think most cars middle seats are over the lap … its over the lap one but i think most cars middle seats are over the lap belts

I dont think she could sit in the middle then as its not a proper adult belt which it says needs to be used.

And my Mums car has a proper middle belt, as does my friends.

Banned

peodude;5106615

[COLOR="Orange"]xxxDon't make things up, where does it say … [COLOR="Orange"]xxxDon't make things up, where does it say front?xxx[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Redundant now Sassie has deleted her reply[/COLOR][/COLOR]The oldest can legally sit between the two existing seats in the rear as long as they are using the seatbelt provided.

i misread the post so deleted :oops:

sassie;5106628

can you not put one of the bigger seats in the middle

You couldnt put the junior seat in the middle as the belt has to go through the side of it and down to the lock, and you cant put a lap belt over the baby seat.

Banned

AshleyRFC;5106634

You couldnt put the junior seat in the middle as the belt has to go … You couldnt put the junior seat in the middle as the belt has to go through the side of it and down to the lock, and you cant put a lap belt over the baby seat.

arrgghh thread moving to fast, only just seen its a lap belt, i really wouldnt be happy with any of mine sitting on a lap belt, can you not get a proper belt fitted

The thing that is getting me is that it says Adult Belt, which I would assume as being the one over the shoulder.

I know a girl who was in a car accident and sat in the middle seat with the lap belt and broke her back.

Original Poster

maybe its best i pop into the police station and ask lol

sassie;5106642

arrgghh thread moving to fast, only just seen its a lap belt, i really … arrgghh thread moving to fast, only just seen its a lap belt, i really wouldnt be happy with any of mine sitting on a lap belt, can you not get a proper belt fitted

Nah I wouldn't be happy with a lapbelt either sass.

strobez1977;5106650

I reckon that since you have a lapbelt they would tell you that she cant sit there with or without a booster seat.

As has been pointed out the problem is that there is no clarification over 'adult belt' This could be just 'shoulder and lap' or both, we don't know.

You may find police aren't really sure either, and may well get differing opinions from them, as they don't know the ins and outs of every law. If you do ring, try and get put through to a traffic cop, who may well know a little more than the standard cop.

strobez1977;5106650

good luck with this... lol

Banned

i know your concerned about the law, but my main concern would be one of my children travelling on a lap belt, never mind the law, is there no way you could have a proper belt fitted to your car?

Just read through the thread....If I was in your situation I would put the 2 younger in the back seat with the carseats fitted properly using the full seatbelts and I'd put the older one in the front with the booster seat and the seatbelt as that sounds safest, I'm not kean on lapbelts at all on small kiddies.....hence newer cars no longer have them? Or maybe you will have to think about changing to a bigger car to accomodate your increased famliy size...thats what we will have to do if I have another bub lol

yummymummy2202;5106711

Just read through the thread....If I was in your situation I would put … Just read through the thread....If I was in your situation I would put the 2 younger in the back seat with the carseats fitted properly using the full seatbelts and I'd put the older one in the front with the booster seat and the seatbelt as that sounds safest, I'm not kean on lapbelts at all on small kiddies.....hence newer cars no longer have them? Or maybe you will have to think about changing to a bigger car to accomodate your increased famliy size...thats what we will have to do if I have another bub lol

This placement for your kids might be your best choice though personally I worry about using the passenger seat with the kids as this place is usually the most dangerous in a crash. I'm even a little wary about my 15 yr old travelling shotgun... I think well.... she's 6 and a half stone... she doesn't weigh a thing, what chance does she have in a collision? Even though we have airbags... I guess it's a Mum thing we all just worry about this kinda stuff...lol

yummymummy2202;5106711

Just read through the thread....If I was in your situation I would put … Just read through the thread....If I was in your situation I would put the 2 younger in the back seat with the carseats fitted properly using the full seatbelts and I'd put the older one in the front with the booster seat and the seatbelt as that sounds safest, I'm not kean on lapbelts at all on small kiddies.....hence newer cars no longer have them? Or maybe you will have to think about changing to a bigger car to accomodate your increased famliy size...thats what we will have to do if I have another bub lol

I love your avi!:thumbsup:

You can also buy slimline booster seats, for tighter spaces.

gbdriver.co.uk/aca…tml

Measure the gap between the seats and see how much space you have.

I wouldn't worry too much about only having a lap belt, it's only the modern cars that have a 3 point seatbelt in the middle, cars have had lap belts in the middle for 20 years or more, with millions of people using them with kids.

peodude;5106739

You can also buy slimline booster seats, for tighter … You can also buy slimline booster seats, for tighter spaces.http://www.gbdriver.co.uk/acatalog/Baby_Seats_and_Baby_Car_Accessories.htmlMeasure the gap between the seats and see how much space you have.I wouldn't worry too much about only having a lap belt, it's only the modern cars that have a 3 point seatbelt in the middle, cars have had lap belts in the middle for 20 years or more, with millions of people using them with kids.

Had no idea about this. Thanks!

Banned

yes those are the slimmer ones i referred to in my earlier post, i still wouldnt be happy about mine being on a lap belt but each to their own

sassie;5106762

i still wouldnt be happy about mine being on a lap belt but each to their … i still wouldnt be happy about mine being on a lap belt but each to their own

Unfortunately, other than buying a new car, which a lot of people aren't in the financial position, there's not much you can do. I don't think retrofitting a 3 point seatbelt is possible.

Banned

peodude;5106833

Unfortunately, other than buying a new car, which a lot of people aren't … Unfortunately, other than buying a new car, which a lot of people aren't in the financial position, there's not much you can do. I don't think retrofitting a 3 point seatbelt is possible.

put the child in the front, only other option and put the mrs/mr in the middle of the back on a lap, i thought alot of cars could be refitted with a new middle belt

Just a thought, does the middle seat have a headrest? Some kind of modification can be done so you can attach something to the lap belt that goes up and round the headrest and down again, much like a harness on a rollercoaster. This would keep their upper body to the seat in the case of an accident.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Recover WIN 10 on HP Laptop11
    2. Windows 7 reactivation57
    3. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?69
    4. Wireless earphones46

See more discussions