Laying decking squares on to the ground

Posted 12th Apr
I have a small area outside of my back door that I would like to cover in some decking boards that I have bought. The boards are squares on a frame and are 60 cm x 60 cm. I need around 12 of these to cover the area. Are they alright just to place on the ground (the ground is like concrete), or, do they all need to be joined together with something secure and/or on another frame? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Ideally you’ll need to lay them on a frame so that air can circulate underneath, otherwise they wont last. They need to be tied into something so that they are rigid and won’t bow or buckle when stepping across them.
fearghalg12/04/2020 15:28

Ideally you’ll need to lay them on a frame so that air can circulate u …Ideally you’ll need to lay them on a frame so that air can circulate underneath, otherwise they wont last. They need to be tied into something so that they are rigid and won’t bow or buckle when stepping across them.

There are actually spaced pieces of wood going across the back of the squares and this is currently raising them around 1" off of the ground - would this be enough? Each 60 cm x 60 cm square has 6 pieces of decking attached to the frame. Thank you.
Edited by: "Sophiasky" 12th Apr
Firstly, I'm no expert but as has already been said, laying them as is will mean they are more prone to moisture/damp working its way up from the concrete and will, hence, rot quicker over time.

You could lay a piece of damp proof membrane over the concrete first and then lay the decking tiles on top to reduce/prevent this.

The above would be the cheapest and quickest way of laying the decking tiles and bearing in mind you only have 12 and at about £4 each the cost of replacing them when they do eventually rot will be small - I think you should still get several years use out of them laying them like this.

Another disadvantage of the above approach is that if your concrete floor is un-even then this will be reflected in the decking tiles when you lay them on top.

Ideally, you want something like these supports to go between the concrete floor and the decking tiles but it will involve a bit more spend as well as a bit more effort but they are adjustable so, if your concrete base is un-even, these supports can be adjusted to compensate for this.

(You can get similar supports cheaper here - they have several to choose from so you will need to do a bit of research on which ones are suitable for your use).

Personally, I would go for the first approach.

BTW, from your description, it sounds like you have similar decking tiles to these. Right?

40391587-o638l.jpg
Yes, the tiles are similar to those - without the middle support though. I will have a look at what else you have suggested using. Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions