Laying paving...... Costs? Easy DIY job?....

Banned 29
Found 19th Aug 2011

My missus has decided she'd like to get rid of our decking and replace with some decent paving on our patio area.

I did the decking myself about 10 years ago an definitely is passed it's best - and I quite like the idea of a maintenance free area, so am complying!

The area to be laid is a perfect rectangle 6.4m x 3.8m and the base is a nice flat concrete slab about 8" deep. So apart from removing the decking and support should be a very good base to work from.

Now in the past, I'd probably have just DIY'd, but after seeing the tiler we had laying huge porcelain tiles in the entire ground floor of the house, I'm not convinced it's as easy as it might appear to be...... So.......

For that size area, what would be a reasonable cost? Roughly length of time it should take? Or would I be wasting money and should DIY?

Cheers.

Strictly no preaching or religious nutters in this thread please.

1. Misc
  2. Paving
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Paving
29 Comments

Banned

Strictly no preaching or religious nutters in this thread please.

Can we mention erectile dysfunction?

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

Can we mention erectile dysfunction?

You can, though I suggest you start your own thread for advice on this subject so dear to your heart.

Original Poster Banned

whatsThePoint

do it yourself, just do a layer of sand and place the slabs on top

Sand? Don't you bed them onto concrete a thin layer of concrete? What about cutting the slabs to size?

Banned

guv

You can, though I suggest you start your own thread for advice on this … You can, though I suggest you start your own thread for advice on this subject so dear to your heart.

Come on Guv, throwing back the same insult is even beneath me!

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

Come on Guv, throwing back the same insult is even beneath me!

It wasn't an insult. Merely an observation. I believe the term is willy obsession.

whatsThePoint

Sand, they won't be going anywhere, cut to size with a circler saw and … Sand, they won't be going anywhere, cut to size with a circler saw and stone blade

Circular saw? Do you mean angle grinder? I hate them things!

I am having my front garden done at this very moment.........decided not to have to complete area paved as that would have cost around £1400 and this is being done at a very decent rate by my neighbours Dad!
I think he said that the natural indian stone flags he is using for our path were about £22 per sqm normally,he managed to get them for a bit less though being trade 'n all that!

Factor in that you will also need all the tools if you do not have them,like diamond cutters,concrete mixer etc etc if DIYing.............c'mon Guv......we all know you are loaded lol........get a man in to do a decent job!!X)

Banned

guv

It wasn't an insult. Merely an observation. I believe the term is willy … It wasn't an insult. Merely an observation. I believe the term is willy obsession.

Is that really a commonly used term?

Original Poster Banned

X)

muckypup

I am having my front garden done at this very moment.........decided not … I am having my front garden done at this very moment.........decided not to have to complete area paved as that would have cost around £1400 and this is being done at a very decent rate by my neighbours Dad! I think he said that the natural indian stone flags he is using for our path were about £22 per sqm normally,he managed to get them for a bit less though being trade 'n all that!Factor in that you will also need all the tools if you do not have them,like diamond cutters,concrete mixer etc etc if DIYing.............c'mon Guv......we all know you are loaded lol........get a man in to do a decent job!!X)

Indeed.... But I'm only loaded because I research and find out the facts and figures first!

And it was a rather good offer with Selco ATM that got me thinking this morning! (£62+ vat for 5.6m2) so I'd need 6 of them to be on the safe side.

I have a mixer already...... But I am lazy and don't like hard work.

So is your guy laying onto concrete or onto sand?

PS does your neighbour do forum mate rates?
Edited by: "guv" 19th Aug 2011

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

Is that really a commonly used term?

No. Only to people that suffer with it. You will recall it wasn't me that pointed this out to you first.

sand will be a bodge job, they'll just move over time with the rain etc.
I think when my dad did ours in the garden he did a lyaer of sand and then cement, was onto a concrete base like you've got brah.

Banned

dont do it with sand!

do it properly with mortar

its an easy job - just dont rush it and check for square & level constantly

Original Poster Banned

numptyj

sand will be a bodge job, they'll just move over time with the rain etc. … sand will be a bodge job, they'll just move over time with the rain etc. I think when my dad did ours in the garden he did a lyaer of sand and then cement, was onto a concrete base like you've got brah.

Oh noes...... You don't mean I was being given dodgy advice on a shopping forum? X)

So how much did your dad charge you per metre?

Original Poster Banned

csiman

dont do it with sand!do it properly with mortarits an easy job - just … dont do it with sand!do it properly with mortarits an easy job - just dont rush it and check for square & level constantly

Winner....

I think it's probably relatively easy as long as time is taken and a slight slope away from the house is done. Roughly how thick would you think the cement needs to be?

Banned

guv

No. Only to people that suffer with it. You will recall it wasn't me that … No. Only to people that suffer with it. You will recall it wasn't me that pointed this out to you first.

First I've heard of it.

Banned

and make sure you leave a decent gap between tiles (if large slabs used). too small and it will crack over time and weeds will penetrate easily.

and use thompsons patio sealant afterwards as lasts years!

thompsonsweatherproofing.co.uk/pro…d=3

have you tried bandq for how to lay slabs leaflets ? and if you ring your local banq store and ask if they are running a how to workshop laying a patio. not a difficult diy job provided you are abled bodied and would suggest if you can diy a deck you would have no trouble laying a patio.

Banned

guv

Winner....I think it's probably relatively easy as long as time is taken … Winner....I think it's probably relatively easy as long as time is taken and a slight slope away from the house is done. Roughly how thick would you think the cement needs to be?

1 inch should be enough as you have a concrete base.

4 or 5 to 1 Coarse sharp sand / cement ratio.

Banned

oh and dont put down a layer of sand first lol

Sloth/Mod

Get a gypsy mate..................or ask magicbeans

Check out pavingexpert.com/, terrifically informative site. Pretty much any question you may have will have been gone into detail on there.

Original Poster Banned

master_chief

First I've heard of it.

I would offer to point out a link to where Sy said it, but as I'm still waiting for my link from you for all those security guards who unselfishly threw themselves onto a grenade, I'm not going to bother. Luckily my memory and my dick are in good working order. X) (and if my memory fails, I can always consult brother numptys database for a small fee.)

longbowassassin

have you tried bandq for how to lay slabs leaflets ? and if you ring your … have you tried bandq for how to lay slabs leaflets ? and if you ring your local banq store and ask if they are running a how to workshop laying a patio. not a difficult diy job provided you are abled bodied and would suggest if you can diy a deck you would have no trouble laying a patio.

Never heard of them. I'll take a google.

Original Poster Banned

Syzable

Get a gypsy mate..................or ask magicbeans

There already enough of them in this area without inviting them! I once put a dishwasher outside and it took 5 minutes to disappear.

Banned

Link was posted in that thread.

guv

Oh noes...... You don't mean I was being given dodgy advice on a shopping … Oh noes...... You don't mean I was being given dodgy advice on a shopping forum? X)So how much did your dad charge you per metre?

Lol hardly gonna charge me anything. He roped me into carrying the slabs though. We made something like 4 trips to homebase to pick up them up, then had to carry them through the house to the garden, bad times.

guv

X) Indeed.... But I'm only loaded because I research and find out the … X) Indeed.... But I'm only loaded because I research and find out the facts and figures first!And it was a rather good offer with Selco ATM that got me thinking this morning! (£62+ vat for 5.6m2) so I'd need 6 of them to be on the safe side.I have a mixer already...... But I am lazy and don't like hard work.So is your guy laying onto concrete or onto sand?PS does your neighbour do forum mate rates?

He's laying it on a sand and cement mix as far as I could tell.......spot dabs IYKWIM.Like yours they have been put down on a hard concrete base(my old knackered and cracked path that must have been done around 40 years previous!)

This morning he has put dry sand and cement mix into the gaps and is doing the pointing as I type.
For us he is doing decent northern rates but he said as it's you he can do it for 'special' southern jessie rates for a few extra 0's at th'end lol

Sloth/Mod

muckypup

He's laying it on a sand and cement mix as far as I could tell.......spot … He's laying it on a sand and cement mix as far as I could tell.......spot dabs IYKWIM.Like yours they have been put down on a hard concrete base(my old knackered and cracked path that must have been done around 40 years previous!)This morning he has put dry sand and cement mix into the gaps and is doing the pointing as I type.For us he is doing decent northern rates but he said as it's you he can do it for 'special' southern jessie rates for a few extra 0's at th'end lol

Cup o tea and a nice steaming 'ot pot flower?

Banned

yeah, forgot to mention but spot dab each slab in each corner rather than a full bed

obviously the spot dabbing goes on the concrete base rather than on each slab

Did our patio earlier this year, quite a large one (10 x 20 foot)

1. dug out area and compressed hardcore to ensure patio stability (compressor cost of hire £60, hardcore £10)
2. compressed sand layer on top (sharp sand £20). was advised by builder friend as stops slabs cracking from hardcore as allows cushioning (well it worked so no grumbles)
3. slabs laid onto 'dry' mortar mix (you add enough water so it looks dry but if you get a handful and squeeze, it sticks together.
4. 'dry' mortar mix brushed into gaps around slabs which distanced using the side of a piece of wood. If you try and fill the gaps with wet mortar, it is really difficult and the dry mortar is just hosed over once you are happy, then we lightly brushed away the excess - do not pressure wash!

Best to slope the patio away from the house and we also put in a soak away area to rid excess water.

It sounds easy but it is hard work to get it right. Getting it flat is the hardest bit and if you don't, you can see it which is why it is good to lay onto dry mortar mix rather than wet.

All I can say is preparation, preparation, preparation! Ours has been down since March and looks as good as when it was first laid.

http://daddytypes.com/archive/brabants_bont_chair.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions