Expired

LCD or Plasma Flat Screen TV

Found 27th Dec 2006
Hello,
first of all, I don't really know what the difference is between LCD and Plasma TV's. I hoping to get a good one, preferably a good make for around £200. Open to all sizes, if it is a good TV.
Your help would be appreaciated

3 Comments

pastmaster

Try this site]http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/94117.html

That's a helpful fist post pastmaster. Welcome to HUKD.

Here's my two penneth worth.......

I'm no expert on the technolgical differences between TFT/LCD and Plasma, but I do know of some of the advantages and disadvantages.......

Plasma suffers from "screen burn-in". Prolonged images in one place on the screen will leave a lasting image. LCD/TFT will not.

Plasma has much higher contrast ratios than TFT/Plasma. The contrast ratio dictates how well dark colours and blacks are displayed.

LCD/TFT will last approximately twice as many hours than a plasma set.

Plasma will display fast moving images and colours very well, whereas LCD/TFT will not in comparison.

LCD/TFT suffers from a limited viewing angle. Plasma will outperform TFT/LCD becasue each cell is individually lit giving much greater viewing angles.

For Video or DVD playback, plasma is better by a good margin. For DVD, or any streaming video content, TV or HDTV - plasma will deliver non-distracting, high contrast, high colour saturation viewing. LCD/TFT is not as good when doing a same size comparison, while still looking good at the smaller sizes.

It's also a general rule of thumb that LCD is fine when small-ish, but if you're venturing into the realms of screen size greater than 32" Plasma is the one to go for.

Hope this helps,

:pirate: CJ :pirate:

Original Poster

Thanks very much for the info. It's very helpful. Any ideas on good Tv's around £200 mark?
Post a comment
@
    Text