Groups

LCD TV resolution question, please help?

Hi I have a question and any advice would be greatly appreciated?

I have an old 37 inch Samsung LCD TV (Model number LE37R87BD ), which is fine for Sky HD, but when I connect it up and extend the display to my laptop, the image quality isn't that great, and the text look like cartoons.

My question is; would a 720p LED TV be a big improvement on what I have, or do I need to go upto a 1080p TV to be able to have multiple windows open and still see the data clearly?

I am looking for something that works well primarily as a second monitor, and occasionally as a TV?

Cheers in advance

7 Comments

No, 720p would be no improvement (720p is 1280x720 resolution, you already have 1366x768).

For monitor usage, 1080p would be a minimum, the picture should be sharp enough, although not really very comfortable at larger sizes (37" for example) because you normally sit close to the screen when using a monitor.

For the price of 1080p TVs these days, there's not really much reason not to.

Also, you might want to check that the laptop is driving the TV at it's native resolution, as the display should be pretty sharp at native. If you're outputting the wrong resolution then the TV will scale the image which will result in the problems you've described.

Original Poster

coco2007

Also, you might want to check that the laptop is driving the TV at it's … Also, you might want to check that the laptop is driving the TV at it's native resolution, as the display should be pretty sharp at native. If you're outputting the wrong resolution then the TV will scale the image which will result in the problems you've described.

On the extend my desktop screen on the laptop I used the recommended settings which were 1280x720 but it still wasn't as sharp as I wanted it.

I am looking to get a 32inch TV to primarily use as a monitor so you think 1080p is the way to go?

Thanks very much for your help.

Gooner77

On the extend my desktop screen on the laptop I used the recommended … On the extend my desktop screen on the laptop I used the recommended settings which were 1280x720 but it still wasn't as sharp as I wanted it.I am looking to get a 32inch TV to primarily use as a monitor so you think 1080p is the way to go?Thanks very much for your help.

What do you want a 32" screen for your laptop for? If it is for gaming, it is unlikely your laptop will be able to drive the games at full resoltion on that size of screen. If it is for video, check that your laptop video card is capable of outputting high definition without frame drops. If it is genuinely as a general purpose monitor, you may want to rethink as that size of screen can be uncomfortable at normal viewing distances. If you decide to go ahead, 1080 is the minimum you should be looking for in a 32" computer monitor. You should consider 2560 x 1600 for that size of screen - although you will pay a considerable premium.

Original Poster

Lowtrawler

What do you want a 32" screen for your laptop for? If it is for gaming, … What do you want a 32" screen for your laptop for? If it is for gaming, it is unlikely your laptop will be able to drive the games at full resoltion on that size of screen. If it is for video, check that your laptop video card is capable of outputting high definition without frame drops. If it is genuinely as a general purpose monitor, you may want to rethink as that size of screen can be uncomfortable at normal viewing distances. If you decide to go ahead, 1080 is the minimum you should be looking for in a 32" computer monitor. You should consider 2560 x 1600 for that size of screen - although you will pay a considerable premium.

No I don't need any gaming capabilities, just need it for research and stock trading, so I need to have different web pages open at the same time, maybe up to ten windows open (using the show windows side by side option on the Windows toolbar).

Will probably be connected to my PC rather than the laptop, and used to extend my desktop.

Thanks
    Edited by: "Gooner77" 21st Mar 2011

Original Poster

OK, thanks folks for all your help, it's been really useful, I think 1080p is the way to go. Phew, would have really regretted it if I had gone for a lower resolution.

Gonna have it around around 120cm away from me too so I think a 26inch to 32inch 1080p LED, is the way to go.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

I'd go for a 32", I know my 23" is a bit small to read a lot of text or … I'd go for a 32", I know my 23" is a bit small to read a lot of text or windows at that distance. The 32" is fine for it though, I can lie in bed whilst doing reading with it.

Yes, my thoughts too, thanks again.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …201550
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416414112
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523424
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?32157

See more discussions