Lead pipes in house

Found 18th Apr
I live in a 1930s semi. When me moved in I found some of the old lead pipes behind the walls, they weren't in use and I ripped away what I could find. We recently had a leak and some pipe work near to the boiler had to be exposed to repair it. There is a section of pipe work that is still lead which is in use. The plumber is used at the time said it was nothing to worry about but I'm concerned about it die to lead possible lead poisoning. Does anyone have any experience with this or know what the risks are??
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Are you afraid captain peacock is going to use it in the study?
Call your local water supplier and they should offer a free or low cost test service. I have a lead pipe on the incoming water supply and had it tested recently and its perfectly safe. My local area (Sussex) have a treatment added to the water to make it safe and also as its a chalky area it lines the inside of the pipe to offer an extra protection.

Get it tested for peace of mind
Most houses have lead as the main water supply to the house
darlodge5 m ago

Call your local water supplier and they should offer a free or low cost …Call your local water supplier and they should offer a free or low cost test service. I have a lead pipe on the incoming water supply and had it tested recently and its perfectly safe. My local area (Sussex) have a treatment added to the water to make it safe and also as its a chalky area it lines the inside of the pipe to offer an extra protection.Get it tested for peace of mind

Right i'lle get in touch and see what they say
Rip it out, replace with plastic, weigh it in for a nice profit.
'Leadloc' coupling adapter to copper or mdpe pipe.
Probably more pollutants in the air you breath than lead in your water
More likely to get leaching in a soft water area than a hard water, where the pipe probably has a protective coating of scale
eslick18 h, 58 m ago

My water supply is fairly soft...
eslick18 h, 58 m ago

eslick23 h, 38 m ago

No they don't.

Most water companies have replaced the street supply with plastic.

The only chances of you having an issue with lead in the water OP, is if you store it in a lead lined tank. The water within lead pipes supplying your main drinking water outlet (if indeed these pipes are lead to the kitchen tap for example) should be allowed to run for a short period before drinking.
moob20 h, 28 m ago

No they don't. Most water companies have replaced the street …No they don't. Most water companies have replaced the street supply with plastic.The only chances of you having an issue with lead in the water OP, is if you store it in a lead lined tank. The water within lead pipes supplying your main drinking water outlet (if indeed these pipes are lead to the kitchen tap for example) should be allowed to run for a short period before drinking.

yes they have but from the street stop cock to you house will be lead, they have not changed every house in the UKs own line, you are responsible for that part.
eslick18th Apr

that explains so many of the posts on here
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants