Leak from flat above

Posted 30th OctEdited by:"hearts22"
So tonight we discovered some yellow liquid has been leaking today in our bath from the light fixture above the bath. Light still worked.

I turned off the electric for the lighting. I informed the agency we rent from and the block management company. Can't do much else since it's late.

I am not an expert with these things so bear with me: we have a combi boiler so could the water be from a water tank or something like that? I assumed it comes from the flat upstairs but if we have a water tank it might be that too I guess. I don't think we have one since we have a combi boiler, though.
3320655.jpg
The flats have the same layout on all floors so their bath should be just above ours. Why is the water yellow? (It looks a bit like urine). There are no stains yet on the ceiling. For now it's just dripping lightly from around that particular light fixture.

How would they go about repairing anything? Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Jordztar30/10/2019 22:17

Does it smell/taste of urine?Are you the owners or tenants? If you are the …Does it smell/taste of urine?Are you the owners or tenants? If you are the sole owners - do you have any home insurance?

Taste?
39 Comments
Hi, if your a one floor flat, then you could probably be sure the bathroom of the flat above is above your bathroom (they will share a waste) and probably has had a flood or has a long term leak somewhere. You probably want to speak to your upstairs neighbours. Your combi boiler is effectively your water tank, it heats the water as you need it, only storing so much, so its probably not that. Its unlikely to be your pipes, as they tend to be below the floor, but your neighbours pipes will be above you....so again, prob best to have a nice chat with the guys above to start with. Hope this makes sense.
Neil_Macarthur30/10/2019 21:26

Hi, if your a one floor flat, then you could probably be sure the bathroom …Hi, if your a one floor flat, then you could probably be sure the bathroom of the flat above is above your bathroom (they will share a waste) and probably has had a flood or has a long term leak somewhere. You probably want to speak to your upstairs neighbours. Your combi boiler is effectively your water tank, it heats the water as you need it, only storing so much, so its probably not that. Its unlikely to be your pipes, as they tend to be below the floor, but your neighbours pipes will be above you....so again, prob best to have a nice chat with the guys above to start with. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

I think the management company will inform them. They're quite unpleasant people so we haven't spoken to them. I think the guy is a violent type.
I did inform our renting agency immediately.
Aww sorry to hear that, don’t talk to them, Keep an eye on the ceiling, look around for discolouring (it can be very feint), and any swelling, plaster can absorb water. Hopefully your management company will respond soon
Edit: when i say absorb, I mean it can pool between the plaster and paper. Hopefully you know what i mean, lol.
Yes, it's still dripping. Thanks for your replies :).

The management company usually responds to queries very quickly so I'm sure they'll get back to me tomorrow when they see my message.

Luckily it drips right into the bath so that's limiting damages. The ceiling still looks white to me. It's started today so I doubt it will have had time to discolour the ceiling yet.
Will they have to come into our flat too? We only have one bath so if they have to carry out any repairs into our bathroom how do we manage without bathroom access? Thanks. First time I have to deal with something like this so I have no idea about anything.
Edited by: "hearts22" 30th Oct
Does it smell/taste of urine?

Are you the owners or tenants?
If you are the sole owners - do you have any home insurance?
The discolouration is from whatever is between their floorboards and your ceiling. Usually it's left over dirt and or insulation and as the water comes through the ceiling it picks up the colour. Can be yellow, brown, black depending on how much water there is and how much rubble was left
Yellow, you say?

38857520-64eUu.jpg

Does it smell/taste of urine?Are you the owners or tenants? If you are the …Does it smell/taste of urine?Are you the owners or tenants? If you are the sole owners - do you have any home insurance?

Taste?

It's in the OP. We informed the renting agency so we rent. We're not home owners. I don't know if the people above are owners or renting.
No, haven't smelled it. I wouldn't go and taste some leaking water (horror).

I don't think it's urine. It just looks like it. I guess it's getting that colour from the material between the floors. I googled and found something about the paint and cladding giving some yellow leaks in some block somewhere in England a while ago.
Edited by: "hearts22" 30th Oct
deeky30/10/2019 22:20

Yellow, you say? [Image]

Yep. Yellow like pee. It's a light yellow. The toilet upstairs can't be above our bath as the layout is the same so they would have their bath above ours. It must be their bath leaking.
This is stressing me out already and it's been just a few hours since the discovery.

"I informed the agency we rent from..."
Report it to your house insurance, they'll then claim against upstairs.
Also, can you remove your bath's side panel to see what pipes are under there, you could then inform upstairs what they're looking for
esar31/10/2019 00:05

Report it to your house insurance, they'll then claim against …Report it to your house insurance, they'll then claim against upstairs.Also, can you remove your bath's side panel to see what pipes are under there, you could then inform upstairs what they're looking for

We don't have house insurance. We are renting. I also said in a comment we're not speaking to the people upstairs as they're unpleasant and the guy seems a violent type.
We are gonna let the management company inform them of everything. They have been helpful when we had problems with their shouting and noise upstairs and contacted them about it on our behalf.
Edited by: "hearts22" 31st Oct
hearts2231/10/2019 00:19

We don't have house insurance. We are renting. I also said in a comment …We don't have house insurance. We are renting. I also said in a comment we're not speaking to the people upstairs as they're unpleasant and the guy seems a violent type. We are gonna let the management company inform them of everything. They have been helpful when we had problems with their shouting and noise upstairs and contacted them about it on our behalf.

You should have contents insurance, and this event proves that.
Good luck with the letting company, keep us informed!
hearts2230/10/2019 21:31

Thanks.I think the management company will inform them. They're quite …Thanks.I think the management company will inform them. They're quite unpleasant people so we haven't spoken to them. I think the guy is a violent type. I did inform our renting agency immediately.

He’s probably got drunk and peed on the floor.
hearts2231/10/2019 00:19

We don't have house insurance. We are renting. I also said in a comment …We don't have house insurance. We are renting. I also said in a comment we're not speaking to the people upstairs as they're unpleasant and the guy seems a violent type. We are gonna let the management company inform them of everything. They have been helpful when we had problems with their shouting and noise upstairs and contacted them about it on our behalf.

You should still have contents insurance as what happens if someone breaks in and steals all your stuff? Flood from your pipe wrecks all your stuff? The landlord only has buildings insurance so it’ll only cover the building and any fitted items such as kitchen cupboards.
esar31/10/2019 00:25

You should have contents insurance, and this event proves that.Good luck …You should have contents insurance, and this event proves that.Good luck with the letting company, keep us informed!

cmdr_elito31/10/2019 05:43

You should still have contents insurance as what happens if someone breaks …You should still have contents insurance as what happens if someone breaks in and steals all your stuff? Flood from your pipe wrecks all your stuff? The landlord only has buildings insurance so it’ll only cover the building and any fitted items such as kitchen cupboards.

We don't have an expensive TV or furniture and so on. We don’t have expensive clothing either lol. It is all stuff that I wouldn’t get worked up about if it got damaged. I don’t have jewellery or anything like that.
My boyfriend’s records are inside very thick plastic cases so they wouldn’t get damaged by water (and they are in the spare bedroom where there are no pipes) and I would like to see how thieves would carry 20 plus of those heavy boxes downstairs without anyone noticing.
We are not living in a posh area that attracts burglars and the block has CCTV and secure entry and there is practically always someone in the flat.
I have insurance for my phones and our gadgets. The leak is in the bathroom so nothing there that is ours that could be damaged; the leak is minimal at the moment and the water is dripping right into the bath luckily.
I don’t think it is worth it in our case but I am sure it is a good idea if you have stuff that is worth insuring.
cmdr_elito31/10/2019 05:41

He’s probably got drunk and peed on the floor.

Boyfriend thinks the kids might have let water from the bath overflow. Don’t know really. It was ok yesterday morning so the yellow water started dripping down lightly during the afternoon when we were sleeping (we work nights) I guess.
hearts2231/10/2019 07:20

We don't have an expensive TV or furniture and so on. We don’t have e …We don't have an expensive TV or furniture and so on. We don’t have expensive clothing either lol. It is all stuff that I wouldn’t get worked up about if it got damaged. I don’t have jewellery or anything like that.My boyfriend’s records are inside very thick plastic cases so they wouldn’t get damaged by water and I would like to see how thieves would carry 20 plus of those heavy boxes downstairs without anyone noticing. We are not living in a posh area that attracts burglars and the block has CCTV and secure entry and there is practically always someone in the flat.I have insurance for my phones and our gadgets. The leak is in the bathroom so nothing there that is ours that could be damaged; the leak is minimal at the moment and the water is dripping right into the bath luckily. I don’t think it is worth it in our case but I am sure it is a good idea if you have stuff that is worth insuring.

Regarding the insurance

What if there was a fire and you lost absolutely everything could you afford to replace it all at once.

If everything has minimal value you should be able to get a pretty cheap policy just in case the worse every happened.

You can use price comparison websites to get a quick quote

place like Endsleigh Insurance do cheap contents only insurance.
myusernamehasgone23431/10/2019 07:28

Regarding the insurance What if there was a fire and you lost absolutely …Regarding the insurance What if there was a fire and you lost absolutely everything could you afford to replace it all at once.If everything has minimal value you should be able to get a pretty cheap policy just in case the worse every happened.You can use price comparison websites to get a quick quoteplace like Endsleigh Insurance do cheap contents only insurance.

The furniture and clothes are all cheap. Some of the furniture and the sofa are from fb.
Boyfriend’s records are easily worth over 30K. He has got 3 thousands roughly and most of them are worth a lot more than £10 so a policy to cover up to the full value of his records would be expensive and what is the chance something catastrophic like that is gonna happen?

I hope I am not jinxing myself lol. Furniture and clothes can be replaced cheaply yes.

Anyway we have sprinklers installed and smoke alarms.

I might have a look, though. If I can get a policy cheap I might get it.
I had this previously and it was the seal around the bath in the upstairs flat that had gone and water was coming through the gap. It was simple to repair and once this was done we could redecorate over the ceiling. Hope it’s something straightforward for you.
hearts2231/10/2019 07:34

The furniture and clothes are all cheap. Some of the furniture and the …The furniture and clothes are all cheap. Some of the furniture and the sofa are from fb.Boyfriend’s records are easily worth over 30K. He has got 3 thousands roughly and most of them are worth a lot more than £10 so a policy to cover up to the full value of his records would be expensive and what is the chance something catastrophic like that is gonna happen?I hope I am not jinxing myself lol. Furniture and clothes can be replaced cheaply yes.

Chances are probably slim of anything happening but if it did happen you have to think how you would manage. It’s not that long since a huge fire ripped through a block of flats so it does happen.

But clearly you’ve thought about it and are happy with decision. For me I don’t mind paying the £60 a year just in case the worse were to happen.
myusernamehasgone23431/10/2019 07:39

Chances are probably slim of anything happening but if it did happen you …Chances are probably slim of anything happening but if it did happen you have to think how you would manage. It’s not that long since a huge fire ripped through a block of flats so it does happen. But clearly you’ve thought about it and are happy with decision. For me I don’t mind paying the £60 a year just in case the worse were to happen.

Just to know if I were to get insurance... how much cover do you pay for at that price?
hearts2231/10/2019 07:59

Just to know if I were to get insurance... how much cover do you pay for …Just to know if I were to get insurance... how much cover do you pay for at that price?

You probably best getting a quick quote as insurance cost vary greatly in different postcodes.

I think it was up to £15000 maybe slightly more.
myusernamehasgone23431/10/2019 08:07

You probably best getting a quick quote as insurance cost vary greatly in …You probably best getting a quick quote as insurance cost vary greatly in different postcodes.I think it was up to £15000 maybe slightly more.

We would have to cover his 3000 plus records which are probably worth £50k or more so I guess it will be a lot more than £60 a year.

He says he doesn’t care. He just thinks what matters is me and him are ok.
hearts2231/10/2019 08:17

We would have to cover his 3000 plus records which are probably worth £50k …We would have to cover his 3000 plus records which are probably worth £50k or more so I guess it will be a lot more than £60 a year. He says he doesn’t care. He just thinks what matters is me and him are ok.

You could not put the record on the policy if you aren’t bothered about them.

I just think even cheap furniture and clothes and everything else you own will still cost at lot to replace all at once should be absolute worse happen.

I used to think the same as you as I also don’t have anything of much value but worried how I would cope should everything be lost to fire or flood as no way could I afford to replace it all at once and I couldn’t manage with out clothes etc.
myusernamehasgone23431/10/2019 07:28

Regarding the insurance What if there was a fire and you lost absolutely …Regarding the insurance What if there was a fire and you lost absolutely everything could you afford to replace it all at once.If everything has minimal value you should be able to get a pretty cheap policy just in case the worse every happened.You can use price comparison websites to get a quick quoteplace like Endsleigh Insurance do cheap contents only insurance.

My dad got basic buildings and contents for £99 for his house in London, there really shouldn’t be any reason not to have insurance in this day and age.
hearts2231/10/2019 07:20

We don't have an expensive TV or furniture and so on. We don’t have e …We don't have an expensive TV or furniture and so on. We don’t have expensive clothing either lol. It is all stuff that I wouldn’t get worked up about if it got damaged. I don’t have jewellery or anything like that.My boyfriend’s records are inside very thick plastic cases so they wouldn’t get damaged by water (and they are in the spare bedroom where there are no pipes) and I would like to see how thieves would carry 20 plus of those heavy boxes downstairs without anyone noticing. We are not living in a posh area that attracts burglars and the block has CCTV and secure entry and there is practically always someone in the flat.I have insurance for my phones and our gadgets. The leak is in the bathroom so nothing there that is ours that could be damaged; the leak is minimal at the moment and the water is dripping right into the bath luckily. I don’t think it is worth it in our case but I am sure it is a good idea if you have stuff that is worth insuring.

Ok so you are insuring the wrong things, get contents insurance which can cover all your Gagets inside and outside the home as well as your contents too including the records, cancel the stupid phone insurances and you’ll save money on top of having enough to pay for contents insurance.

You mentioned you only have basic stuff, bet you have a beko/indesit/hotpoint/whirlpool branded fridge/washing machine/freezer/tumble dryer so your risk of fire is really high. Those records sound like they might be worth a bit or hard to replace and will easily melt in those plastic cases.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 31st Oct
We had a leak from bath tap over a long period of time. The kitchen ceiling was absorbing it as was the coving, but eventually a yellow stain appeared on the white paint, which was how we discovered it.

If that record collection is worth that much surely it should be insured. Even if he didn't want to replace it think what he could do with the money! As above, find a home insurance policy that covers gadgets away from home etc. Pick and choose our excess and find a premium that suits.
Agent told me it is the management company that has to sort it out. Told him I have already informed them so he said that is ok and they should contact me... they are supposed to get back to me within 24 hours.
hearts2231/10/2019 08:17

We would have to cover his 3000 plus records which are probably worth £50k …We would have to cover his 3000 plus records which are probably worth £50k or more so I guess it will be a lot more than £60 a year. He says he doesn’t care. He just thinks what matters is me and him are ok.

You may want to get those records valued, I used to work in a shop that bought and sold vinyl, there are very few records worth any real money, I would be amazed if 3000 records was worth 50 grand. They must be the rarest 3000 available. We used to buy them for 10p to £1 each unless it was something super special!
Can you not carefully pull the light fitting down (turn electrics off first) and have a better look with a torch. Put a bit of kitchen towel up there and see if it’s damp.That should indicate if it’s constantly wet or not.
tom2kadd131/10/2019 10:28

You may want to get those records valued, I used to work in a shop that …You may want to get those records valued, I used to work in a shop that bought and sold vinyl, there are very few records worth any real money, I would be amazed if 3000 records was worth 50 grand. They must be the rarest 3000 available. We used to buy them for 10p to £1 each unless it was something super special!

He knows his stuff. He is a collector. Yeah, they are all rare jungle records and so on. They can cost over a hundred pounds each on Discogs. They cost on average maybe £20/40 but he has a lot of them worth a lot more than that. If he said that is what they are roughly worth I know they are. He has been collecting them for many years. Of some there are only a handful of presses around the whole world.
Toptrumpet31/10/2019 10:29

Can you not carefully pull the light fitting down (turn electrics off …Can you not carefully pull the light fitting down (turn electrics off first) and have a better look with a torch. Put a bit of kitchen towel up there and see if it’s damp.That should indicate if it’s constantly wet or not.

I don’t know as it might leak more after that. I think it’s best not to touch anything for now.

I switched off the power to the lighting already last night. We have no lighting in the bathroom, hallway, and bedrooms now.

Spoke to agent and management company now. They can only hand deliver a letter to the flat above and let them know about the leak.

My question is this now: what if the people upstairs just don’t bother and don’t fix the leak? What are we supposed to do exactly? I was thinking maybe to write to our landlord directly in that case as surely he would want this fixed asap as it will damage his property if it is left.

It is leaking from two spots around the fixture now. It is slowly getting worse I guess.
Yes, if it’s still leaking in say 2 weeks time or gets much worse in the meantime, keep ringing the Managing Agent and put it in writing too and send a copy to the Landlord as well. Part of your tenancy will include diligence about the condition of the property and advising them will absolve you of any problem if it escalates or the condition of the ceiling when you hand the keys back.
By advising the Landlord, they in turn can contact the freeholder of the property who can then contact the owner of the flat above etc. A letter from the freeholder will hold more weight than just a polite letter from a managing Agent in the High Street.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 31st Oct
land lord and managment company all the way. keep at them. Does anyone in the house have asthma? any pensioners or children? if so play on that, keep pushing.

The spotlight could come out partially. Theres a ring spring that holds the lamp (bulb) in, take this out, you'll need pliers, and the lamp should fall down on its wire. This could allow you to have a look with a torch, without removing the silver housing. These are hard to get out, as they are held in with strong springs that fold either side of the hole, pulling the light up.

But only do what your comfortable doing.

there are plenty of videos online that will show you how to take the whole spot light down, the wet plaster will almost certainly need fixed around the light, so a little damage around the light would be ok.
The management company that manages the block of flats phoned their landlord who said that he is gonna speak to his tenants. I hope this means he is collaborative and everything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants