Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Leaking basin pillar taps

Posted 16th Feb
I got some basin taps from screwfix and got a plumber to fit them. They were fine but a week later there seems to be a leak under the tap.

I have indicated where the water is in the photo. This area looks to be wet and there are a few spots of water on the shelf under it.

It is connected with a flexible hose but it seems wet a little bit above the connection, which makes me think that it is a leak from the tap itself?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
39918694-pMsfn.jpg
Hi. I would get the plumber to come back and fix the leak. He will at least be able to diagnose if it is a faulty tap.
Maybe the locking nuts aren't tight enough?
Would wrapping the threads in PTFE tape fix it?
This is a question that you should be asking the plumber that fitted them.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell16/02/2020 11:55

Maybe the locking nuts aren't tight enough?Would wrapping the threads in …Maybe the locking nuts aren't tight enough?Would wrapping the threads in PTFE tape fix it?

the tap does move so the locking plastic nut is not tight enough. it may be water coming down from the basin itself through the outside of the tap.
mutley116/02/2020 11:56

the tap does move so the locking plastic nut is not tight enough. it may …the tap does move so the locking plastic nut is not tight enough. it may be water coming down from the basin itself through the outside of the tap.

Yeah your right it might be, get plumber round and you will know 100% job done. End thread

Maybe the locking nuts aren't tight enough?Would wrapping the threads in …Maybe the locking nuts aren't tight enough?Would wrapping the threads in PTFE tape fix it?

Agree!The plumber will likely do this to resolve. Should be 2 min job and sure they could sort it for you!
If its wet there then its water getting through from the sink/worktop rather than the tap leaking.

i explained to the plumber when he came back that i believe the seating has not been tight enough so water is coming through the basin and down the tap. he agreed with me and tightened the nut. hopefully that will resolve the issue but i do worry that he had not tightened it in the first place to an acceptable level so that it was moving about!

i think you got it spot on. thanks
Edited by: "mutley1" 16th Feb
Willy_Wonka16/02/2020 17:17

Comment deleted

no, the plumber came back after i had posted this thread and i told him what i think the problem is from derek's reply. he was spot on. if i didn't know the answer, the plumber could have fobbed me off with the problem being with the flexible hose connector or the tap being faulty and so i would have to pay for more work.

not saying he would do this, but that is the sort of thing that would happen if he wasn't honest so the fact that i told him what i think the problem is ended all that speculation and he fixed it without asking for any money.
mutley116/02/2020 14:44

i explained to the plumber when he came back that i believe the seating …i explained to the plumber when he came back that i believe the seating has not been tight enough so water is coming through the basin and down the tap. he agreed with me and tightened the nut. hopefully that will resolve the issue but i do worry that he had not tightened it in the first place to an acceptable level so that it was moving about!i think you got it spot on. thanks

My pleasure.
The morale of the story is, if you see any drooping nuts, give 'em a tighten.
Mr Mutley1 has left the chat
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell16/02/2020 17:46

My pleasure.The morale of the story is, if you see any drooping nuts, give …My pleasure.The morale of the story is, if you see any drooping nuts, give 'em a tighten.Mr Mutley1 has left the chat

i find that when a tap is replaced, often they are not tight. the nut for taps are made of plastic so i can't see how you can tighten that to such an extent that it would hold a heavy metal tap as tightening that too much would be in danger of snapping it.

the plumber seems to have achieved it anyway. i asked him if he tightened the nut by hand and he said he had to remove the flexible hose connector and used a box spanner. i didn't think you could get a box spanner big enough but it would appear that you can. i was expecting him to say that he had used a basin spanner.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants