Leaking door advice

Posted 11th Mar
Hi there.

My back door is leaking from the area circled in the picture. Can anyone advise exactly where it's coming from and how to repair please.

Thanks
3420578-97I7Q.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Check the black seal around the glass on the outside. Chances are water is getting in somewhere, running down inside the UPVC frame and then coming out inside.

Your options:
Get a new seal, watch some Youtube videos and DIY.
Or get someone in to replace the seal.
Or go ghetto style, buy a tube of glazing sealant and seal everything outside.
The choice is yours!
What is the seal called please I can't appear to find the correct type. Keeping finding the draught seals.
brailer11/03/2020 09:41

What is the seal called please I can't appear to find the correct type. …What is the seal called please I can't appear to find the correct type. Keeping finding the draught seals.

ebay.co.uk/sch…t=0
Also check at the bottom of the door outside for drip holes that may be blocked
This has happened with a window in my house. I removed the glass, the beading easily comes away, and ran some clear glaziers sealant along the rubber seal. Once the glass and beading was reinstalled there was no more leak. You don't need to apply loads of sealant.
As suggested, you might get away with applying it from the outside, but it will eventually peel away when washing the glass.
chocci11/03/2020 09:45

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XWindow+seal.TRS0&_nkw=window+seal+rubber&_sacat=0

Are you saying to get a sample pack and see which one fits?.
Predikuesi11/03/2020 09:55

This has happened with a window in my house. I removed the glass, the …This has happened with a window in my house. I removed the glass, the beading easily comes away, and ran some clear glaziers sealant along the rubber seal. Once the glass and beading was reinstalled there was no more leak. You don't need to apply loads of sealant. As suggested, you might get away with applying it from the outside, but it will eventually peel away when washing the glass.

Why did u remove the glass. Isn't the beading on the outside edge of the glass?.
brailer11/03/2020 10:03

Why did u remove the glass. Isn't the beading on the outside edge of the …Why did u remove the glass. Isn't the beading on the outside edge of the glass?.

No, the beading is the white pieces that hold the glass in place on the inside. I can see you have internal beading from the photo. The black rubber on the outside is the seal.

40083965-AI7nf.jpg
40083965-Qfnx1.jpg
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 11th Mar
Predikuesi11/03/2020 10:05

No, the beading is the white pieces that hold the glass in place on the …No, the beading is the white pieces that hold the glass in place on the inside. I can see you have internal beading from the photo. The black rubber on the outside is the seal.[Image] [Image]

Ah I see. Can I take the seal out without removing the beading and glass?. I tried to take the beading out previously but it wasn't coming out easily.
brailer11/03/2020 10:20

Ah I see. Can I take the seal out without removing the beading and glass?. …Ah I see. Can I take the seal out without removing the beading and glass?. I tried to take the beading out previously but it wasn't coming out easily.

Even if you install a new rubber seal, you have to remove the beading and glass. You will definitely muck things up if you try to remove the seal from the outside. You wouldn't get the new seal in anyway.
I'd check the drip holes first. Just unclip the covers and make sure the holes are not blocked.
If that fails, you'll have to do as I suggested. It is very easy to do. I'd try the sealant before spending out on a new seal. If you don't cut and fit it right, you'll be back at square one.

youtu.be/zzq…hTg

Any broad flat blade (scraper) will do to remove the beading.
Ok thanks. Il update thread when/if its ever dry to carry out the repair.
brailer11/03/2020 10:37

Ok thanks. Il update thread when/if its ever dry to carry out the repair.

I've added a video to the above to show how easy it is. Some glass have spacers behind the beading. If they are there (usually coloured bits of plastic), take a photo of where they are fitted.

It's amazing to think that this beading used to be fitted on the outside in the early 80s. Burglars loved it!
Oii, what's that tool called that removes the plastic trim? Been wanting to remove one that moulds up occasionally.
splatsplatsplat11/03/2020 12:55

Oii, what's that tool called that removes the plastic trim? Been wanting …Oii, what's that tool called that removes the plastic trim? Been wanting to remove one that moulds up occasionally.

Chisel knife
splatsplatsplat11/03/2020 12:55

Oii, what's that tool called that removes the plastic trim? Been wanting …Oii, what's that tool called that removes the plastic trim? Been wanting to remove one that moulds up occasionally.

quarter moon knife - they are excellent for removing beads

amazon.co.uk/dp/…p_4
brailer11/03/2020 09:58

Are you saying to get a sample pack and see which one fits?.

as a last resort but my money is on blocked drain holes
chocci11/03/2020 14:54

as a last resort but my money is on blocked drain holes

I regularly clean the drain holes at the bottom of the door. The drain holes in the door frame look clear when investigating the threshold area. Don't know whether they are blocked inside frame but I never get any water in this area.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants